Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelite case

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

I wanted a case with backpack straps to take my instrument with me to festivals or when I get on the quad and hop up to the lake. Well, the Travelite arrived last night and it fits my 2 point and my "F"s perfectly. It almost feels like it vacuum seals the instrument it fits so well. Kind of like the old VW Bugs in the early 70s. It is a much better product than I was expecting and I'm tempted (but, not stupid enough) to put a mando in it and throw it off the roof to see if it's as tough as it seems. The straps seem very comfortable and all this NEW for $51 and $15 shipping on ebay.
    John

Mine just arrived at my office, and man, this thing looks gorgeous. The lid covering the inside string well is a bit tight, but that should loosen up.

My colleagues here were all interested (and clueless) about the case, I said it's for a baby guitar - half of 'em don't know mandolin from Adam.

Well, i'm awaiting shipment of mine this week from folkmusician.com. They had the best price (except for that one on ebay now -doh!).

FUnny thing. After it was shipped, the guy from folkmusician.com mentioned in an email that they had a funny smell - he thought it was in the glue used in gluing the lining in...and thought it should go away.

I hope the thing doesn't smell. John said his didn't. How about AlanN?

Anyone else here ever ordered from folkmusician.com?

AlanM
    Alan

levin4now,

When I had my Calton it had a smell of glue from construction. Calton suggested leaving it open and empty for 2-3 days to get rid of the odors.

wbl

If you think you like it now just wait till you do some traveling. I've had mine for a couple of months now and couldn't be more pleased. With all the standing and waiting in lines you have to do in airports these days the light weight and straps make the Travelite a great combination.

I'm already looking forward to toting it around Winfield this year. That long walk between the the Pecan grove and the west campround is going to be a lot easier now!

I ordered mine from folkmusician.com and it cost $63 including shipping at the time. Shipping only took 2 days and arrived just as advertised. I don't remember any odor out of the ordinary but then again it seems like every new case I've had emitted some vapors until they air out a few days.

GVD
    GVD

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (johnwalser @ Feb. 03 2004, 17:25)
    It almost feels like it vacuum seals the instrument it fits so well.
    Bet you could take it for a swim, too, John.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Yeah, it has a new car smell, but that'll go away. It's a fine case.

It came in to work today! #Not as exciting as a new mando but still fun. #It seems awesome! #Very ridgid structure - looks like it's kidproof anyway. # #The zipper is a little more work than two old latches on my old case, but it isn't just going to fall open when walking either.

Oh yeah, it doesn't smell. #The guy had me worried. #(As AlanN said, just a new car smell.)

.....now only if I had a new car~!

Alan

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

I took a mando in the hot tub at the Luxor and got thrown out and Ted is never going to let go of this one little mistake I made!! The people at the hotel said it would have been better if it hadn't been elecric and pluged in to my amp. It was also a shame when the amp fell in the main pool and the fellow with the pacemaker just happened to be near where it went in. Bad luck happens to nice folks all the time.
    John

I've set the mandolin in the case and tried 'er out. It's very light, yet feels stable and firm. The headstock touches nothing but air when seated (a requirement for me) and the push points when the case is latched are 2 neck cushions and a tailpiece cushion. It's a winner.

Does the "odor" result in any outgasing of the glue issues? Will this hurt a nitro finish? I ordered one from The Mountain Music Shoppe, and am going to pick it up today.

'Told 'ya so.......

I love mine...and yes John...as I said a while back "It feels like it would be safe to drop kick"
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Blog Entries

Which moel would you suggest for an A5? I see the rectangular would work, but there is the special A style version, and now I am undecided. My TKL puts too much stress on the bridge for my liking...

Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Jasona,

I would think they make an A. A well-designed feature of the TL is the fact that the only touch/push points when the lid is closed are tailpiece and neck.

I love the case. The straps seem like they will be a winner for me. Sometimes when I am carrying my guitar and mando, and guiding one or both of my young daughters into the door at church, it's quite a handful...
    Alan

Blog Entries

Just went to the folkmuscian site, and the only travelite they had is for an F model--do you think it would work for an A? The A style they have listed is called "featherweight" and is rectangual--which I like for the storage space, but it seems a different beast than the travelite. Comments?
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

jasona,

My A-style would not fit in this case, the body is a shade to big, and the neck is shorter, so a 1/3 of the headstock does not reach the head compartment...however, I may a funny A-style. I don't know anyone with a Levin (like mine). It is a flattop.

I suggest you wait for more responses here, but you can always email folkmusician. I had questions for em and had quick replies.
    Alan

jasona

When I ordered mine back in November I think they listed it for A or F styles. At any rate my custom made A has pretty much the same dimensions as a Gibson A5 and it fits perfect.

GVD
    GVD

i have 2 of the a styles, (my first rigel came in one). i love them as they are light and have losts of storage space. the only thing is they do not have the latch. only the zipper all around.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I'm kind of undecided. I do not like the fact that once you remove your mando, the case easily tips over. Like somebody stated above, the lid covering the inside string well is a bit tight. It's hard to leave your mando strap on the mando. Carrying it sure is easy. I'm not sure on the protection thing if somebody accidently kicks it while walking by if left on the floor.

<<It's hard to leave your mando strap on the mando>>

Not if you wear a roo strap <g>.

One thing, which may ease over time, is the tendency for the lid to want to drop closed when it's propped open, a mild annoyance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (GVD @ Feb. 17 2004, 09:44)
    jasona

When I ordered mine back in November I think they listed it for A or F styles. At any rate my custom made A has pretty much the same dimensions as a Gibson A5 and it fits perfect.

GVD
    You're talking about the rectangular case? If so I love the storage space and may just have to order one!
    Jason Anderson

jasona,

No I'm talking about the tear drop shaped Travelite. I can't comment on the rectangular (Featherweight?) case. The somewhat limited storage space is the only negative I can find with the Travelite. But then again it has enough room for my Intellitouch tuner, a strap, a cloth, and a whole bunch of picks. That's really all I need to carry in a case. Plus with the straps you still have 2 hands free to carry anything else you might need.

GVD
    GVD

Hello all,
    I have had a Travelite case for about 5 months. I like it, it seems to protect my mando well, but have discovered I can't trust the inner latch by itself. It is only pinned into the foam molding and can easily pull out. Consider it closed only when zippered shut.

What that inner latch is best for is keeping the case closed, but leaving it un-zipped for air circulation while at home, assuming that your home has a good humidity level, and to provide a place for the key-lock.

You really wouldn't want to take it anywhere with only that latch being used, though.

I think the smell is from something in manufacture of the nylon covering, because the Trailpak gig bags (for various instruments) smell pretty much the same.

Actually, I LIKE that smell, but then I'm fond of isopropyl alcohol, strike-anywhere matches, and whatever gunpowder it is that they use in .22 cartridges. Sometimes I think I'd sit around and just shoot a .22 off into the ground for an solid hour, just for that whiff of powder smoke after each shot!

The bag/case smell, (as already mentioned) like a New Car Smell, though, and will fade out completely after a few weeks, whether you want it to or not.