Thread: Getting started playing classical

I'm really intersted in learning some classical pieces on the mandolin, but need a good starting point for a beginnger in the genre. I got Mel Bay's Baroque book w/ CD, but it was too advanced for me and I sold it. I don't read notation either, btw, which I know is a problem.

What I'd really like to find are some good "easy-ish" pieces in tab with some sound examples. Or maybe a good book to work from, but I've looked high and low for books online and am coming up pretty empty.

Any ideas?

for what its worth, learn notation, then you can learn any peice written for any instrument. There are all kinds of baroque and renissance music written for the mandolin or its ancestors that have been updated for the modern instrument.

I admit I am biased in this matter, but I think you are really limiting yourself by not reading notation, especially if you want to get into serious music.
    MichaelB

See here

Stefano

John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

I've used Alan Alexander's books. They are written in tab and standard notation. Also include a CD so you can hear and play along with tunes. I think they're great.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~guitarandlute/book-cd.html

While there are lots of folks who passionately believe that only mandolin works should be played on mandolins, I've found the early Suzuki books for violin to be worthwhile for beginners learning notation. They offer some decent classical music that's entertaining without being too intensely challenging. Book 1 might be too simple, but perhaps not. 2 & 3 have better stuff. And they're universally available, and cheap.

You owe it to yourself to wean yourself away from tab, or at least to pick up regular notation. Opens the door to vast amounts of music. Takes a few weeks if you work hard.

Coincidentally, this just grabbed my attention.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really do want to learn to read standard notation at some point, but I've had the same troulbe finding a good book to teach that as well. I've yet to see a book titled "How to read music on the mandolin", but I'm sure there are some books like that out there. I'll keep digging. Thanks again....

Debora Chen's book "Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist" would seem like a good choice. I bought it recently as I'm in much the same boat, and though I haven't found the time to get too far into it yet, it seems like she presents a very well thought out and sensible approach that shouldn't be all too difficult to tackle assuming one puts in the time.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

John's link above was to his book on learning to read standard notation. Don't even have to pay for it.

hi,
    does anyone happen to have the scores of J.A. Hasse's G Maj Concerto?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by (csemiczky @ Jan. 02 2008, 17:20)
    hi,
    does anyone happen to have the scores of J.A. Hasse's G Maj Concerto?
    thanks
    Do you need the complete orchestra score? Elderly has a reduction for mandolin and piano by our own John Craton.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (jasonh847 @ Dec. 12 2007, 12:11)
    Debora Chen's book "Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist" would seem like a good choice. #I bought it recently as I'm in much the same boat, and though I haven't found the time to get too far into it yet, it seems like she presents a very well thought out and sensible approach that shouldn't be all too difficult to tackle assuming one puts in the time.
    I think I'm going to get this book soon. I've been looking around, taking my time to see what is out there, and this book seems like a really good choice. This will be a good project for 2008. Thanks for the recommendation.

I just bought Debora Chen's book today from her website. I'll give it a try and let you folks know what I think of it. I'm really excited about learning to read notation. Thanks to all for the great input on the matter.