Thread: Finally visited mandolin bros. this past weekend..

After visiting The Father-In-Law for Thanksgiving, my wife and I stopped in at Mandolin Bros. on our way home this past Saturday.

It was, in a word, astounding.

The salesperson who greeted us-a young feller in his 20's-invited us in the door, told me to hang up my coat and play anything I wanted for as long as I wanted. On every wall, floor to ceiling, on multi-tiered racks, on single and double stands, were the cream of acoustic instruments: Martin, Taylor, Collings, Goodall, Santa Cruz, Lowden, Gibson...I found the mandolin room and pulled a 1924 blacktop snakehead from its wall hanger. It was loud and crisp. I put it back after a few runs of "Over The Waterfall" and tried a Breedlove for comparison. Then it was a Weber 'zouk. Then a new Big Muddy (the reincarnation of Mid-Missouri). And so on and so on...

I also played several acoustic guitars. No PacRim imports here...I'd say Guild was the "entry level" brand. Dozens of high-end guitars in every flavor, but the one 6 string that really impressed me was a Collings OM style. It was just plain LOUD! We were there for about 2 hours, and my wife patiently waited as I ran around like a kid in the candy store.

It was a bit surprising at how few mandolins there were compared to guitars. I assume this is because there is a larger demand for higher-end guitars than for mandolins (we are a unique and select group, right?).

Biggest surprise? A Kentucky KM-675. It held its own with the "big boys" as far as tone, volume and feel. I sure can't get used to that fingerboard extension, though...

Biggest disappointment? Eastman. I know most people here rave about them, but I played an F model and one of their guitars, and both of them were lacking. But that's just my $.02.

So now I'm trying to decide how to thin the herd so I can go back there and walk out with something other than a Mandolin Bros. T-shirt, which my son is getting as a stocking-stuffer, and some picks.

I can still hear those instruments calling to me.
    Mark Ehrsam

Susquehanna Travellers
    York, PA

I first visited Mandolin brothers back in the mid 80's. I still remember that feeling. It's a great store and they are great folks to deal with.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

1978 for me, to buy my first 'vintage gintage', which I still have, and the accompanying letter Stan wrote about the instrument, repleat with his flowery prose.