Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isn't monroe one of the best...

I just think he really captured that monroe style feel almost like he invented it. What do yall think?

I couldn't disagree more. I think he completely missed his style. There are others who do the "Monroe Style" far better than he ever did. He almost got there, but never really did achieve the style you're talking about IN SPITE OF the fact that invented it. Not like how that Grisman fellow mastered the so-called "Dawg" style.

Happy Holidays,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Are you proposing that Grisman is the best Dawg player out there, because that is a farce at best.

No such proposal. I merely said that he has mastered the "Dawg" music, unlike Monroe who simply approached the "Monroe Style" and never did master it in all his years of playing it.

I propose this whole topic is a farce, and I like its farce-ness.
    Less talk, more pick.

Wouldn't you agree then that the nature of Monroe style playing is based on the presupposition that no mastery can be attained and as such any player that does achieve a level of mastery of it would have ultimately failed to play the style at all?

The words Monroe and style shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. The picture below is an obvious explanation as to what I mean. He's wearing a black hat after Easter and that tie is just so last year. I will note that in his later years his fashion sense did improve somewhat as did his choice of instruments.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monroe.gif 
Views:	214 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	27864  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Touche, Mike.
    Less talk, more pick.

Quote Originally Posted by (lgc @ Nov. 23 2007, 18:12)
    Wouldn't you agree then that the nature of Monroe style playing is based on the presupposition that no mastery can be attained and as such any player that does achieve a level of mastery of it would have ultimately failed to play the style at all?
    No.
    Less talk, more pick.

As has been stated on many an occasion, by many a poster-the message board is not a place for humor. My post was obviously in reference to his "musical" style and not to his fashion sense.

Well then would you say that it is a more a reflection on the styles then the players with Dawgy style being more prone to even edges and thus being easier to master or are you forwarding a general ideas that Monroe suffered from a relative lack of dexterity and musical prowess?

Oh sorry, my mistake. Love your hair by the way.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <Wouldn't you agree then that the nature of Monroe style playing is based on the presupposition that no mastery can be attained and as such any player that does achieve a level of mastery of it would have ultimately failed to play the style at all? >

Are you suggestion one cannot master imperfection? I may have to take issue, for while I may not be a master, I feel I'm pretty good at imperfection.

Mine?

Then maybe you are moving towards a deeper understanding of Monroe's playing then many of the contemporaries. I would be careful however because a good note'll jump right of of a mandolin every coupla years.

at first I didn't really like monroe's playin, thought it sounded "sloppy". but just loved the sound of a lot of "monroe style" players. now the more I listen to monroe the more I love it, I guess it just grows on ya

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by (lgc @ Nov. 23 2007, 19:37)
    I just think #he really captured that monroe style feel almost like he invented it. #What do yall think?
    It took longer than I thought it would but you got a bite.
    mick meinsler

If always thought it was because his band couldn't find another mandolin player.

I'd rather listen to Compton than Monroe.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

2 bites -
    I-R-O-N-Y
    Did I spell that correctly?

I think you all are belittling my post and the hurts my feelings. Yall wouldn't be talking this way if this was about Thile.

Mine isn't a "bite," I quite got the joke. Very funny stuff in the first few posts.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Sorry Alex, facetiousness doesn't always come across in type - perhaps I should try reading the entire post. Thus the emoticons:

I suppose I should only use that last emoticon after Easter

BTW, Alex,some of your recent posts have challenged me to greatly expand my mando-music library - Thanks!

Bill Monroe is the only one that ever mastered "Monroe Style". Mike Compton merely imitates it well. This has nothing to do with which you like the best. Mike plays great but to me it pales in comparison to the man that created it. I have never liked Elvis impersonators. I'm waiting for someone to play "Thile style" only better with not so many tunes "for the people of middle earth" so I can like it more than the lame way Chris plays it. Huh?

lgc I would like to take you seriously and add that Monroe's style of playing in my opinion
    is pure. The style he had put together was well influenced by his uncle pens fiddling
    the blues guitar of Arnold Shultz and Missisippi John Hurt and Jimmie Rodgers.
    Bill Monroe created his own style of playing and his own style of music.If he ever
    decided not to......well most of you mandolin pickers would be out of work.