Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isn't monroe one of the best...

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

THis whole bluegrass thing... I really love the style and genre, and have probably every Skaggs CD. But I just don't get it, or how to play it. I've been drafted by an upstart BG band while attending a recent jam session, I guess because I have a slick F-5 and can play it, but I warned them that I dont know the first thing about bluegrass; I mostly just strum along with the chords. I suppose they were impressed with my playing overwise.
    What does this have to do with the above conversation? I am not sure, except I have been going through the Cafe tab section trying to understand Monroe music, and I can't figure out how to play it. Or to improvise to it. Sigh.
    But then, this is probably the wrong thread for this comment anyway. Maybe I should attend one of those Monroe-style workshops.

http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by
    I would like to take you seriously
    Wait a minute, I thought this was serious.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (Amanda Lyn @ Nov. 24 2007, 05:42)
    THis whole bluegrass thing... I really love the style and genre, and have probably every Skaggs CD. But I just don't get it, or how to play it. I've been drafted by an upstart BG band while attending a recent jam session, I guess because I have a slick F-5 and can play it, but I warned them that I dont know the first thing about bluegrass; I mostly just strum along with the chords. I suppose they were impressed with my playing overwise.
    What does this have to do with the above conversation? I am not sure, except I have been going through the Cafe tab section trying to understand Monroe music, and I can't figure out how to play it. Or to improvise to it. Sigh.
    But then, this is probably the wrong thread for this comment anyway. Maybe I should attend one of those Monroe-style workshops.
    It's the wrong thread assuming your question is serious.

Anyway:

Listen to
    1) the tune
    2) the chords
    3) the groove
    4) the rest of the cats and catesses
    5) your heart
    and forget about labels.

To me, listening to Monroe is a little like having a crazy uncle. . . When he comes out, you know things are going to get a little messy, but you're going to have a great time!
    Marc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (lgc @ Nov. 23 2007, 18:37)
    I just think he really captured that monroe style feel almost like he invented it. What do yall think?
    How was the party?

If he played on his head in a Speedo, wouldn't this be considered "Monroe Style"? Anything he would or could have picked on his mandolin could be considered Monroe style. How could he not be the best at this style. It's his style. Polishing it up changes it, doesn't it? You're taking the Bill out of it. I've always thought of Bill as a crotchety old man who played a mandolin. I even saw him play at the Ryman when I was nine years old, and never cared less. I now have come to see him as a truly great player, innovator, and a musical genious. If he was just mediocre, we wouldn't be having this discusscion.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Be nice
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by (maj34 @ Nov. 24 2007, 05:46)
    To me, listening to Monroe is a little like having a crazy uncle. . . When he comes out, you know things are going to get a little messy, but you're going to have a great time!
    The above post from maj34 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ Nov. 24 2007, 05:36)
    I would like to take you seriously
    Wait a minute, I thought this was serious.
    Seriously? I am very seriously.

Less talk, more pick.

Quote Originally Posted by (maj34 @ Nov. 24 2007, 07:46)
    Ya know, it just dawned on me that I'm the crazy uncle in my family. Seriously, I am. I'm gonna have to go sit down and think about this a bit. How did it come to this?

Question: Do you think it is a good thing or a bad thing to be the crazy uncle? My family usually don't hold their kids back or anything... I wonder now, though, just what they must think of me.
    Rick in Memphis

I too love Compton, but there are so many facets to what, on the surface, looks like a simple style. For instance, I've never heard Mike burn down something like Roanoke, intro and all.
    I also happen to believe that Monroe's style got better very late in life, around the "Southern Flavor" era. I don't know if it was the geriatric right hand (I believe it was) but he pulled incredible tone in those days when he could not (or did not) fight the mando any longer. I also think that that is the ONE specific tone facet of Monroe that Compton accurately approaches at times. So many people "whup" the mandolin trying to be Monroe. He only rode the horse that way when the trip required hard riding.
    I'd like to recommend the last recordings (Master of Bluegrass and up) to those who A. Haven't heard them and B. Are sitting on the fence in regard to a like or dislike of the Monroe style. Look over the sometimes "pitchy" singing of that era and appreciate the regal nature of a humbled elder statesman throwing very peaceful lightning bolts!! All you'll need are two pieces of bread...a tone sandwich can be yours!!!

Roscoe Morgan

2000 Sim Daley signed Gibson F-5L

www.sunsethillmusic.com

[QUOTE= (GEFool @ Nov. 24 2007, 09:23)]
    Quote Originally Posted by maj34,Nov. 24 2007, 07:46

Question: #Do you think it is a good thing or a bad thing to be the crazy uncle? #My family usually don't hold their kids back or anything... I wonder now, though, just what they must think of me.
    Crazy uncles are good things! #Kids love them, because they are always a great time. #Parents love them, because they give them a couple hours of time away from the kids. #My crazy uncle introduced me to great music when I was 11, he fixed my hitting slump when I was in little league, and (later in life) he showed me that it was OK to have a beer at 10 am when you're on vacation.
    Marc

__
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Hope to make "crazy old granpa" someday.
    There ain't nuthin like the original, imitation is one most honest & biggest forms of flatery. One of these days I'll get me some style and maybe some class to go along with it.
    Or maybe I should say "widdit" - kinda how i sound.

THis thread couldn't be intended as serious, I think we're just being baited into how ridiculous a question will be bitten on.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Oh yeah & to be less gulible.

Quote Originally Posted by (pjlama @ Nov. 24 2007, 10:38)
    THis thread couldn't be intended as serious, I think we're just being baited into how ridiculous a question will be bitten on.
    Really? Gosh I'm shocked.....
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (pjlama @ Nov. 24 2007, 08:38)
    What, did you NOT listen to the cat?

Please.
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

I think I'm starting to disagree with me. I think that Mopnroe maybe spent too much time trying to play like himself that he miss his entire essence. Whereas a guy like Compton, BECAUSE he wasn't Monroe managed to not get so wrapped up in being himself, was able to really play the Monroe style. It's the same reason Dawg s so good at his style. Had he been David Grisman he never would have "gotten it".

Quote Originally Posted by (lgc @ Nov. 24 2007, 11:35)
    I think I'm starting to disagree with me. I think that Mopnroe maybe spent too much time trying to play like himself that he miss his entire essence. Whereas a guy like Compton, BECAUSE he wasn't Monroe managed to not get so wrapped up in being himself, was able to really play the Monroe style. It's the same reason Dawg s so good at his style. Had he been David Grisman he never would have "gotten it".
    Indecision may or may not be your problem.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

If you think you're the crazy uncle, chances are you are... If you're worried what the rest of the family thinks, you're not crazy enough.

From what I've read and heard about ol' WSM, he was an innovator, a good picker, and had deep d e e p roots. He also could be a real mean SOB to be around if you worked for him and had a huge ego. Paradoxically, he made time for his fans and connected well with many folks. He was a force to be reckoned with and his musical style is certainly one to take lessons from if you want to play traditional American Music and/or bluegrass. I think this is why he's still relevant and always will be.

Jamie

edit: I think some of you are trying too hard to be the crazy uncle. ;-)

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Mike,
    Who said anything about a problem. I'm wright as wrain.

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

[QUOTE]
    Bill Monroe is the only one that ever mastered "Monroe Style". Mike Compton merely imitates it well.

I think WE spend more time comparing Mike to Bill than he does. I firmly believe that he understands Bill's approach better than most (I want to say "all").

But, really, really listen.... Mike has his own style and sound.

Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

That may be a skew point. Isn't it possible that Compton mastered Monroe style playing, and in doing so failed to play it at all, and has also developed his own form, which may or may not be predicated on the same set of imperfect principles.

Bill Monroe is the only one that ever mastered "Monroe Style". Mike Compton merely imitates it well. This has nothing to do with which you like the best. Mike plays great but to me it pales in comparison to the man that created it. I have never liked Elvis impersonators. I'm waiting for someone to play "Thile style" only better with not so many tunes "for the people of middle earth" so I can like it more than the lame way Chris plays it. Huh?
    Well, my post was in jest anyway, but aside from that I do actually think what I said...but I'm not saying Compton is better at Monroe than Monroe was, I'm just saying I like him better. I like Bill's music, play a lot of his tunes, and recognize than probably none of us would be mandolinists if it hadn't been for him, but for all that I don't care for his mandolin playing. I certainly respect the opinions of those who find a lot to admire in it, and maybe I would too if I get ever get over how bad his playing sounds to me well enough to really appreciate the better things about it. No disrespect intended toward anyone.

Not sure what is "lame" about Thile's playing. You don't have to like it (though I don't see why you wouldn't) but you also don't have to be rude about not liking it. By the way, if you hadn't realized this yet, we're all joking here except maybe you.

EDIT: I hate it when you read through a page and start to respond, then when your post goes through you realize there's a whole page of responses you missed.

Telemark - if that's your cat you're in serious trouble! That's one big serious kitty =^,,^=
    I love Mr. Monroe - my mando teacher says of Mr. Monroe's playing/singing "it ain't pretty but it's got to be done!" Mr. Monroe may have sang flat and played off key at times, but I'll take that talent of his any time! And I'm the crazy aunt in my family