Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Describe old-time

This description has a lot of merit when discussing old-time fiddle and banjo dance music (hoedowns, breakdowns, reels) but is perhaps a bit less relevant in discussing other old-time expressions.

A lot of scholars concur that old-time fiddle music, in particular, is the melding of Irish/Scottish/English traditions with African rhythms as disseminated through banjo music. Alan Jabbour (former director of the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress and noted fiddler and tune catcher) and Tom Sauber (noted fiddler, banjo player, and one of the best old-time musicians I've ever met) have both posited the proposition that old-time fiddling is distinguished by syncopated bowing that--in varying degrees of subtelety--incorporates an African-based 3-3-2 (Bo Diddley) groove. Each can provide endless examples of how this is manifested in a large number of tunes. Those grooves are a little harder to articulate with a pick on the mandolin than they are with a bow on a fiddle, but that's what provides the right kick to old-time dance music.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

"my list " was represented by that "O-rish music and that hippie contra stuff in which barefoot sundressed longhaired girls with flowers in their hair dance in swarms like butterflies" All said tongue in cheek with a mischevious smile. "

Add to this, the trend of barefoot, sundressed, long-haired MEN ... I kid you not.

Crikey Curt, how could I forget sundressed, long-haired hirsute men.....lol.

Paul, do you have any links to either Alan Jabour's writings or Tom Sauber. I googled both but could not find much beyond some mention in the National Folk Life Project. I am becoming fascinated with learning more about the diversity and speciation within "Old Time". As Paul Muad'dib said " Wheels within wheels with wheels".

Part of my interest lays in how music was used, taught and learned. Especially in the isolation of communities that developed their own styles from hand me down tunes. How those tunes variated over time and geography seems fascinating. The origins of songs and tunes are also fascinating. Interpretation and stylistic differences, especially the bowing techniques that differentiated fiddlers.

I shall have to listen and work with the 3-2-2 to gain undertanding of that influence. Thanks for posting that.

Harlan

This book, Sounds of the South, has some really interesting essays:
    http://www.dukeupress.edu/cgibin....tem=999
    I'd also highly recommend any of Bill Malone's books on the history of country (old time!) music. They are scholarly, well researched and very readable.