Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexington ky

looking for someone in the lexington ky area, maybe someone who can read music?

Blog Entries

I'm in shooting range- Louisville.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Hey thats not too far, do you ever make it over to the Lexington area?

Hey there,
    I'm in Frankfort.
    Drummer with a Mando Monkey on his back.

"What is best in music is not to be found in the notes."
    -Gustav Mahler

Mandodrummer, I think your cover is blown. I believe Iknow who you are. HA!!

I'm from Frankfort as well!

Here's a good resource for you Lexington/Lousiville area folks. . .

http://www.bluegrass-anonymous.org/
    2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

I'm in Frankfort as well.

/Magnus

I live in Tennessee but have two sets of relatives in KY, so I'm within fairly easy driving range of Lexington relatively often. A lot of my family members are big UK basketball fans so they drive there frequently. And I read music very very well (I sightread better than any of the classical musicians I know and am in large part a classical musician myself).

I know that's not very useful if you're looking for a regular playing partner, but if you were just wanting to meet someone a couple of times I could let you know when I'm going to be in the area (I'm there for basically every holiday and then a few random other times every year, like for family reunions or casual visits).

Out of curiosity, why someone who can read music? Do you play classical stuff or just think it would be easier to jam if you could both read something?

I can read music fairly well and really just perfer to play music that way and it is not easy to find people who can read music or at least for myself anyway. I really enjoy playing classical music and thought I would put a post here and see if anyone is interested. Thanks to all who replied. Alex let me know when you are in the area maybe we can get together and play some music or anyone else who may be interested in playing this type of music. Joe

hi kyswede. Have we met before? In town anywhere? If not, we should.
    2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

Where did all you Frankfort guys come from. I live in Frankfort Kentucky also. http://www.hurleyridge.com

I don't read music though.

Any of you guys know about the Thursday Night jam session in Lawrenceburg at Tony's Barn from 6pm until 9pm, sometimes starts a little late though. Glenn Hurley
    I really shoud be practicing instead of on this computer.

Most probably not. I don't really play, I mainly dabble in building. I wouldn't mind saying hi and having someone else play something I've put together, though. Is that jam at Tony's every Thursday?

/Magnus

What classical stuff do you play? I work on a bunch of violin solo pieces, and also some transcriptions of cello pieces and stuff...and then my girlfriend is a cellist so we play a lot of duet stuff, including keyboard music arranged for duo, and I have a lot of stuff arranged for two treble instruments so I can play with other mandolinists. I have never been able to play classical mandolin in a group bigger than two or three people but I would really like to form a classical mandolin ensemble some day. I know one other guy here who reads music and plays some classical, and we know two cellists so if we can get hold of a mandocello...that would just leave out a mandola to play string quartet music. Oh well.

I also have lots of nonclassical sheet music arranged for two mandolins or two violins...lots of Hungarian and Russian folk music, Swedish folk music, etc.

I have allot of classical music, mostly just solo stuff, some hard and some not so hard also have a couple of Eastern European violin music/gypsie music books I like to play from. Sounds like you really enjoy playing this type of music too although I am probably not at the level of playing you are but I still really love playing. Next time you are in the area let me know and maybe we can meet at a coffee shop or something, would really like to learn more about your music. Have a Great Holiday. Joe

Yes the Jam at Tony's is every Thursday, except for Thanksgiving and other holidays that may fall on Thurs
    I really shoud be practicing instead of on this computer.

I'll be in Kentucky over this weekend, but of course will be busy with holiday stuff and am riding up with family members anyway so I won't have my own car. I'll be up again the weekend of December 6 but may be too busy to do anything, and I only have a cheapo mandolin right now anyway because I'm waiting on a custom build that will be finished in maybe a month or so. But I'll let you know.

Happy holidays to you too.

we play @ my barn on thur. I'm in Waco, ky. south of Lex.
    35 miles. Mostly celtic and oldtime. What fun. A couple of us read the others are just good.
    Have more dogs than friends.

I'm right over in Louisville. I was working out at Natural Bridge State Park over the summer and came out to Lexington a few times to get my jam on with a few buddies of mine.

Greetings.
    Thursday night 7pm Waco, Ky.
    We play Celtic and Bluegrass. Or just about anything else.
    There are a couple of readers in the group.
    I read, so I can memorize.
    Mandopotter

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

Hello all! Thought I'd revive the thread by saying there's a very real possibility I will be moving to the Florence area in the next year (hopefully sooner - hubby started a business there last summer so we're relocating asap!)

I will be needing a new teacher - I hate to lose the one I have now but won't be able to commute just for lessons! Would appreciate any suggestions there.

Also would like to get together to jam when I learn enough chords to do so. I'm getting there!

Tracy

OK, I'm definitely feeling neglected! lol We put our house on the market the day before yesterday, and we have our first showing to a prospective buyer on Sunday afternoon. Might be needing that recommendation for a mando teacher sooner than I thought!

Tracy

In Lexington, look up Ken Holbrook and also Daniel Carwile. Both are excellent musicians and though I've never had any lessons from either, both have had students who turned into excellent musicians, and both have good reputations as teachers.

Florence is a hop skip and a jump to Cincy. Look up Harold Kennedy. An excellent musician who can play everything.
    Great mandopicker and a really cool guy:
    harold@haroldkennedy.com
    http://www.haroldkennedy.com/biography.html

Let us know if you ever make it down to Louisville. there are a few jams in the area throughout the week.

Is the jam at Tony's still going strong? My sister is coming over from Ye Olde Country next week, and I thought it'd be fun to show her what live music is supposed to be, on the 17th, I guess. I'll be glad to drag along a mando or two if someone wants to play them.

Thanks,

Magnus

Thanks John & Mike! Looks like we'll be up here for another year, but I'll definitely check into these when we relocate.

Tracy

Default Re: Lexington ky

Anyone have any additional information on the Thursday night jam in Waco, KY (Richmond area) described by the Mandopotter in thread #18 above? I am looking for a Point of Contact and the actual location. Tried a PM to the poster with no luck. Thanks. Mike in Winchester

<<BREAK>>

Greetings.
    Thursday night 7pm Waco, Ky.
    We play Celtic and Bluegrass. Or just about anything else.
    There are a couple of readers in the group.
    I read, so I can memorize.
    Mandopotter