Thread: Bourbon and bluegrass

Blog Entries

Read it here. A couple of guys tour the distilleries along the Bourbon Trail, on their way to the Jerusalem Ridge Festival in Rosine.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Sounds like a dandy time to me, I think I will pencil that in for next year! I have a glass just right for travel and a bag of ice can be found almost anywhere nowadays! Have been designing the "Edwardian Travel Bar" for years and this might be the right place for it's maiden voyage.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I enjoy a good bourbon and good bluegrass. Sounds cool.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Quote Originally Posted by
    Accompanied by my oldest friend, Chris,
    It's a banner day for alcohol and people named Chris....
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Now that's a contradiction in terms - 'good' and 'bourbon'...
    Mandolins grip the mind and soothe the heart...

Sorry I meant to type I enjoy an excellent bourbon.:p
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN

lately i've been digging basil heyden's.

check out the killer bourbon list at the bar i'm playing at tomorrow night. i encourage all in the nyc area to check this place out if you are a bourbon fan. great food too:

Bar BQ
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Bourbon and bluegrass...two of my absolute favorite things in the world!

The other night I was pickin' with some friends while enjoying some Pappy Van Winkle 12-year. Currently down in my basement, with my instruments, I have a bottle of Buffalo Trace and 1792.

Man, I hate thinking about this at work. I'd much rather be pickin' string and sipping some of the amber right now.

Quote Originally Posted by (bradeinhorn @ Nov. 06 2007, 13:14)
    lately i've been digging basil heyden's.

check out the killer bourbon list at the bar i'm playing at tomorrow night. i encourage all in the nyc area to check this place out if you are a bourbon fan. great food too:

Bar BQ
    Nice selection!!!
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN

Blog Entries

This is an interesting topic. I am a fan of both mandolins and bourbon. But not simultaneously. These days I save my drinking till after the jam.

Its one of those things - if I learn it sober I can only do it sober, and viceversa. If you want to play me a game of darts... well I can't seem to do that WITHOUT a drink or two.

I fully appreciate that the culture of folk music is infused with alcohol. And I don't have a problem with that. I also have no problem playing with folks who are having a drink. I just can't keep up if I have had a drink.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I wrote a little tune I called "Whiskey Thru A Straw" Came up with the name for this little tune I had been kicking around when a fella at a club we were playing at bought the band a round of drinks. We each got a little glass of whiskey on ice with a straw. A perfect name for my tune because it is simular to Turkey in the Straw but with a little twist to it.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Registered User Andrew Faltesek's Avatar

Sipping a bit of good bourbon will lubricate the fretboard at least as well as Jameson Irish Whiskey.

Employed to bring home "a small bottle" of bourbon for "bourbon ham" my wife was making; I arrived with a 750 ml bottle of Weller Antique 107. She gave me the raised eyebrow. Being used to the smoother Jameson, the Weller Antique was an eye opener, but I decided I liked it. At the 107 proof though, its bourn baby bourn going down!

I find a bit of spirit helps me be less shy playing the mando and more likely to sing; but too much will actually make you sound like a bloomin' musical prodigy.

check out this one and you will love it!

CORNER CREEK
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Default Re: Bourbon and bluegrass

Instead of starting a new thread (that I was going to title 'Bourbon and Bluegrass'), I figured I'd revive this old one. I'd like to plan a trip in October to visit some of the distilleries on the Bourbon Trail. Ideally, the places we visit would have some connection/close proximity with BG music venues. I did read the NYT article linked in the OP, but obviously that BG festival passed by long ago.

Any bluegrassers here have any experience on the Bourbon trail that could offer some advice. I don't care one bit which distilleries I visit or which towns as long as there's some good BG music nearby. Another thing to consider is the Covid shutdown. Maybe nobody's out playing in the Bluegrass State yet.?.

Any comments/advice would be welcome.

Thanks
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

No offense, but is 13 years a record?

I also like bourbon and bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    No offense, but is 13 years a record?
    No offense taken. As I mentioned, I opted to revive an old thread rather than start a new one of the same exact subject.
    I figured Bourbon and Bluegrass are timeless anyway.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Good point Brian! It does not seem like I wrote my response THAT long ago!
    And you make a good point as well Flatrock, good is timeless!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

19. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    No offense, but is 13 years a record? .......
    Nope, they age some bourbons longer
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Not sure how much bluegrass is going to be played around here in October. Restrictions are fairly stout. As far as towns to visit for distilleries, you can to more of them than you'll want to by staying within the triangle of Elizabethtown, Louisville and Frankfort/Lexington. Personally, I would avoid Louisville at the moment, as there is increasing unrest connected to the Breonna Taylor court decision, but the others are as quiet as you'd expect. Of the tours, my personal favorite is Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, which is where some of the biggest names in bourbon comes out of, including Pappy. It's a great big distillery, but they still feel true to their roots. Woodford is nearby in Versailles, but to me, they feel a little too slick lately. Jim Beam is an impressive industrial installation, and on the other end there are tiiiiiny distilleries like Three Boys Farm and revivals like Castle & Key.

Before you make specific plans, however, you'll want to verify how the tours are running now, if they're even open. Looks like several of them have closed tours due to covid.

Thanks,

Magnus

22. The following members say thank you to Magnus Geijer for this post:

Thank you Magnus, this is exactly the kind of info I'd hoped for. I agree that Louisville should be avoided with the current situation. I guess I'll plan to stay in Frankfort and see whatever can be seen. I've been in contact with the 'Trail' folks and it sounds like a lot of things are still open. Really would like to tour the Buffalo Trace facility (I've been somewhat of a financial supporter of that business).

I'll keep in mind all of the places you mentioned and try to coordinate with appropriate tour times etc. Now all I need is someplace nearby (Lexington maybe?) with some good Bluegrass music.

Thanks again.