Thread: My new bowl back acquisition

I just got into BB's and scored this at Elderly. #Thought I'd share the photos:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4902.htm

Good going and welcome to the Order of the Bowl!!

Vega's are pretty cool. I rediscovered mine when my main Italian one was buzzing. It held its own pretty well and sounded sweet during a rehearsal.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Very clean looking Vega. I (we) would love to see more photos if you have them. I have a Vega slowly working its way off my bench after some top repairs. I hope to be able to string it soon.

Did you buy it direct from Elderly or through the mail? How do you like playing it? What made you choose this one?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

nice one!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Yup, congratulations.

Vegas can be more than pretty cool. For my money, Vega's Pettine Special is possibly the best US bowlback ever made. Maybe not as pretty as the fancier Martins, but the sound just keeps coming; it's so strong it's a bit scary.

Soon you'll realise this is just the beginning . . .

BTW, the obligatory string warning: do NOT use strings heavier than about 0.035 max (in the G course) or you'll wreck your neck. GHS classicals are light enough and cheap; Bernunzio sells the Dogal Calace (RW92b is the light set) which are better strings and will last forever; Lenzner makes a fine bronze set, but they're harder to find. If you're looking for them, post and someone will point you to a current source. (In fact I think they're not even labelled Lenzner any more; Goldbrokat comes to mind, but the mind is nearly gone).

I just purchased it online yesterday--hope to have it next week. #I chose it out of sheer impulse..

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4902.htm

Looks like it is in great shape. I think that the bridge may be the only thing that is not original. Strange they must have taken the description off the site already.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Congratulations! That looks really nice, I hope you'll post a full report once you have it?

Fliss

Congrats. #I love Vega. #Regarding tone, I think Vega may be amongst the US's most consistently decent sounding bowlbacks. #Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by (Bob A @ Nov. 02 2007, 21:43)
    Soon you'll realise this is just the beginning . . .
    Tell me about it -- I just bought this last week!

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4860.htm

It's set-up pretty well and sounds good enough. Intonation is pretty good too. I'll pass this one along to the kids, I guess.

Well, you can't say I didn't try to warn you.

BTW, one of the things I REALLY love about Vega is the engraving on the MOP inlays.

There's a theory that they're all the work of one guy, as nameless as the cathedral builders, who did all Vega's pearl work (and perhaps others as well). Whatever the story, I've never seen any pearl engraving on a Vega that I didn't like a lot.

So, I figure you'll be into the Italian makers by Christmas. Look for the second-tier guys; much cheaper, and surprisingly delightful. I'm partial to Luigi Salsedo, myself, but that hasn't stopped me from branching out. Ceccherini has a unique sound and can sometimes be scooped up for a song, as can De Meglio.

Quote Originally Posted by (Bob A @ Nov. 03 2007, 16:51)
    So, I figure you'll be into the Italian makers by Christmas.

Just received delivery a couple of hours ago. #Mando sounds/plays very good--nice and even across the fretboard, nice round tone, and loud. #I like it

Congrats. Enjoy your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by (Bob A @ Nov. 03 2007, 16:51)
    So, I figure you'll be into the Italian makers by Christmas.
    Good heavens, you were right... I sprung last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....238.lVI

Good for you. Still, you need to get further south. But I predict that you will, and reasonably soon.

Blog Entries

bbMAS, its a terrible thing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I love my Vega. It is plain and unadorned but the tone is incredible. (Thanks JGarber) Has there been a mass Lenzner string buy lately? I forget who did it for us a couple times in the past. I remember they had to do a bulk order so they needed some pre commitment to go through with it. You never know they might have a set or two left. Anyone remember who it was? Acoustic Music Works or something similar I think.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Check with Acoustic Music Works. Steve was willing to order and may even have a few sets left.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

When I bought them they were around 18 or 19 dollars a set but well worth it, of course tone is subjective, for me they were it.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Is it customary for a Vega bb such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....yType=2

...to be bid up so high? It looks like this is going to go around five, six or more..

That is the Vega I mention on the Bowlbacks of Note thread. It is similar to my Vega style 3 and looks to be in similar condition. I predict that it will go for around $500. Mine is my second favorite BB to play after my Pandini. Very sweet in tone and with great projection.

Re: Lenzner strings: the Consort set is now under the label Fisoma. Same strings tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Nice Vega,
    and Bob is so right - I bought a Vega (a Pettine Special no less after having a vivid dream of playing a fabulous round back) and then ebay yielded unto me a Joseph Bohmann, a De Meglio, a D'Isanto and Pasquale (or something, can't remember exactly but 'allievo Vinaccia'), a Raphaele Valente fluted back roman mandolin, a Merrill aluminium back (didn't see that one coming!)....and then my wife put her foot down!

Now I've bought a ruined house in Italy where I can play my mandolins in the sun. Beware the slippery slope.....
    Marc
    My Webpage
    Picture on myspace of Vega Pettine being played at a gig I did with my son!

Yup. And the Vega Pettine Special is for my money the best US bowlback ever made. Now all I need is the ruin in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by (Bob A @ Jan. 02 2008, 11:48)
    Yup. And the Vega Pettine Special is for my money the best US bowlback ever made. Now all I need is the ruin in Italy.
    say no more! ... we can fit you up with a ruin of your own, just like that!

(bring cash.)