Thread: any ideas?

Default any ideas?

My Uncle just gave me his old Mandolin for a an early Christmas gift. He doesn't know any thing about it and neither do I. It has no maker or model printed on it, expect for a made in Korea sticker. help would be greatly appreciated. he told me got it for $180 at a pawn shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG0028.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	79935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG0029.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	79936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG0030.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	79937  

Default Re: any ideas?

He was ripped off!

Worth half what he paid for it, and I'm being generous.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The question of whether you got a nice mandolin can be answered better by knowing how it plays and sounds. I have an old Framus that I bought off the classifieds that by all rights should be a dog, but it is sweet. Looks kinda like that mandolin, but I'm sure that is not a Framus. Looks like a Kay or Stradolin, too, but again, it is not. So you have a Korean copy of a Kay mandolin... that says nothing about the quality of sound or playability. You might have a nice mandolin to learn on. My son uses my Framus for blues and rock and loves it.
    Rick in Memphis

I can tell you what it is. It's a mandolin that was imported under dozens of brand names and some with no brand name at all and sold all over the US. Here's a thread with several different examples of this same mandolin.

1970s cheapo Asian import probably from Korea, probably all laminate.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Whatever the quality of the instrument (and the tone of some of the comments here) consider it a thoughtful gift from your Uncle.

Most important is that it is playable for whatever the cost or type of materials. A local repair shop can probably attend to that for not an excessively high cost. I hope you learn to play on it and love the mandolin enough to continue to explore the many different kinds of mandolins, old and new, expensive and inexpensive.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

...! Good point Mick, I didn't mean to sound like a grump there, myself. It's just my stock reaction.

I played an Asian-made Goya A-style copy from the '70s for a long time until I upgraded (at the time the nice old "family mandolin" was in serious disrepair), and it served me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    He was ripped off!

Worth half what he paid for it, and I'm being generous.
    I was thinking the same thing. I have a Johnson MA-120 that I bought on Craigslist for $40 that is probably a better mandolin. You can buy a brand new Kentucky KM-180S for about $190 and have a much better quality mandolin. That mandolin is just a cheap Asian Kay copy and is probably made with plywood. Not that you can't have some fun with it, just don't expect too much in terms of quality.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin