Thread: String buzz

My mandolin has developed a buzz on the G srings around the 5-7 frets. I changed strings and raised the action but no help. I have checked the tailpiece and have put a piece of leather through the strings behind the bridge and no help.
    It sounds fine played open or around the first few frets. The lower strings sound fine also. I can not find a loose fret or anything. I have sanded and smoothed the bottom of the bridge and it seems to be making perfect contact on the top. I am out of work at the present or I would take it to a luthier.
    I also checked the truss rod just to make sure it was not loose or anything but the neck looks fine so I did not adjust it.
    Any Ideas? It has me stumped. Thanks
    P.S Ihave owned this mandolin for 25 years and it is a Japanese built KM850 Kentucky if that helps any.

I'd find a good straight edge and lay it along the frets to see if you have a high one before you go any further.

This time of year, things start to change, and something like a high fret can jump right out at you.

Ron
    My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Have you Googled for "fret buzz"? Frets.com, and mimf.com both have buzz diagnostics, and it seems to me there is one on this site also.

Take your mandolin to a good luthier to have it diagnosed, then you can decide what to do. You may well be able to fix it yourself once you know what the problem is.