Thread: Prucha a-model mandolin - your take?

Used Prucha at Greg Boyd's

$3K seems like a lot for a used A - especially one from a little-known (to me anyway . . .) maker. #Anyone here able to comment from experience about this mandolin? #My gut tells me "If you buy it, you better like it, cuz it would be very hard to resell!" #

Opinions?

I'd agree, $3k for an A is a pretty penny. Within the range of most USA builders. I'm sure Greg offers a satisfaction clause. Go for it and let us know watcha think. Or forgo the fancy wood and binding and go for the next $1900 Pruch A that becomes available.
    Prucha also manufactures a lot of hardware for musical instruments. #When speaking of Czech mandolin builders Capek, Lebeda, and Prucha first come to mind. #Would be interesting to compare their recent work. #
    Pavel Sucek hasn't been mentioned for quite some time.

Wye Knot

DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT PRUCHA MANDOS, HOWEVER I HAVE A CAPEK A-5 STANDARD (F-HOLES, BASIC BUT VERY CLEAN COSMETICS). I BOUGHT IT THROUGH THE CLASSIFIEDS 3 YEARS AGO FOR $700. VERY NICE TONE THAT HAS AGED WELL (GOTTEN BETTER). ALWAYS GETS GOOD COMMENTS FROM PLAYERS AND LISTENERS ALIKE. THAT BEING SAID I FIND 3K A LOT FOR A USED A-STYLE. I GUESS IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A REALLY GREAT SOUNDING INSTRUMENT AT THAT PRICE. BUT BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THE CZECH BUILDERS SHOULDN'T BE OVERLOOKED. LIKE ANY OTHER INSTRUMENT, LOOK AT IT, AND LISTENED TO IT, WITH AN UNBIASED ATTITUDE. GOOD LUCK

Prucha A are nice but nor everybodies cup of tea, but give it tray, it may rinig you bell at that price. Prucha #will be with Greg Boyd this year at Winter Jam I think.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Jarislov Prucha is a meticulous craftsman, working more now on banjos and parts (selling these to many better-known makers) but he really knows how to make a good mandolin, with fine tonewoods and attention to detail. Of course, the "sound" may not be what you are used to or want, but the quality is top-rate.

Prucha banjos website

I have owned a Prucha A-5 for about a year now and I am completely sold on these instruments. Mine is a 2005 that I also bought from Greg Boyd. It is fun to sit in jams and watch everyone squinting at the headstock trying to figure out what kind of mandolin is making that beautiful sound. It usaully only takes one chop for the heads to start turning. I've playrd it next to some very expenseive mandolins and the Prucha always holds it own,and the craftmanship is superior. Hope this helps.
    Lee