Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is it time to upgrade?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

When you play a mandolin that you can afford and it's much better than the one that you have, it's time to upgrade - fatt-dad

(Note to self: #Add this to my quotation collection.)

f-d

ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Buy the best qualilty you can. In your price range...or slightly more a good Eastman will likely be your best bet. Don't scrimp on your mandolin. You will never be able to outplay the quality of your instrument. If you are feeling limits on your current mandolin, you will not be happy with anything in the sub 1K price range...except for maybe an Eastman. I know on a limited budget the price can seem steep, but it is an investment you will never regret for the remainder of your days. Just some advice from an old picker who has watched many go through what you are now. DON'T SETTLE just because it is cheap. Get something that inspires you and will drive you to another level in your music.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Here's my question. Is it worthwhile to upgrade just a little? I have a 95 Sigma F and about 500.00 to blow. Should I trade in and try to acquire some slightly higher priced Asian model? Would the improvement be so minimal it's not worth the trouble?
    Thomas A Hart

Save just a bit more money and go for something a bit better. If you like the F models, you can get a Flatiron or Eastman. If you want an A you can get an Eastman or a Gibson or a Collings (used Gibson or Collings) for a bit more than what you have. It would be worth saving a bit more.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

There is an Eastman 905A in the classifieds right now for only 1025.00. That should be a great mandolin for an intermediate player and a really good price. Might want to check it out while it is available.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

is there a big difference in sound from like a 604/605 to a 904/905? it looks like they just use fancier woods from giannas site. i really have to play more mandos before i plunk down that kinda change.

Edit:

i skipped to page 2 without reading al's post. thanks al. i did notice on giannas site the 505 receives a different setup than other eastmans, so, id imagine it might sound different because of that.

EDIT 2:

i heard about Glenn mandolins here as well, if his quality is as good as people are saying, would this be a better instrument than an eastman? i dont care about the pac rim, america thing. people in china gotta eat too.

I've tried 2 Eastmans, side by side in the same shop. One was either a 915 or 815, & very nice, though not better than the similarly priced Weber Absaroka("A") models. The other was a 615, & while it felt good & played nicely, it sounded a bit "wimpy" to me, but probably at least partly because of the quality of instruments I was comparing it with (also a couple of vintage Gibsons). Anyway, the more expensive Eastman did seem to have a bigger, more balanced sound.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Registered Something good_ol_al_61's Avatar

JKF:

That's why you need to talk with Steve. If to make a sale he needs to do an additional set up, I am sure he will consider it. Good man.

Be careful, though. The 604 and 605 sound soooo very different from each other because the 604 is an oval hole and the 605 is an F hole model.

As for a comapirson between the 505, 605, 805 and 905, there shouldn't be that much difference in sound. These models are much more about the "extras" rather than the sound. But please be particular to the tone you want because as with all makes, some are better than others. That's just the way it is when you work with natural wood products.

In fact, I just talked with Steve moments ago on another (mandocello) issue. I caught him on the battlefield of a civil war reinactment on his cell phone....cool! I wonder of that cell phone was CSA issue? He'll be back at the shop on Monday.

Al Henderson
    Jacksonville, FL

"Only two kinds of people never make mistakes: Dead people and people that do nothing!" [Al's Dad]

'81 Gibson F5L Fern, J Rowland
    '07 Arches A Style #11, "Hoss"

thanks for the advice al. while i am sure that steve can really do a setup, i think id like to buy locally or used. although his blem list sounds awefully interesting.

I rented skis for two seasons and had about decided I would never be able to learn how to ski. Then the shop was out of normal rentals and I was forced to rent a pair of high-end demo skis. It was as if I had always known how to ski. Lesson learned: start on the best equipment you can afford so that it doesn't get in the way of learning and so you have lots of "headroom" to grow into.

When I started mandolin, I went straight to a Collings MT, selected on the basis of its superior tone plus playability as good or better than anything else in the store. Not a second of regret! My playing isn't great (yet), but my mandolin is and I get compliments on its great sound (and sometimes even on my playing) all the time.

So my recommendation is upgrade and shoot as high as your finances will allow. And don't wait, life is short.
    SMH-Markleeville

sm hibbs, in some things i agree with you on that (mountain bikes, cause if they fail, yer dead) but with musical instruments, usually a well set up inexpensive instrument will be just as good for learning on. (as i posted earlier, i have never owned a single instrument that has cost me more than 300 bucks in cash or trades)

to be honest if you play decently in public on ANYTHING you will receive compliments. i have never had anyone comment negativly on my tone on any of my instruments, from my 200 dollar bass to my old ovation guitar. like jethro said to sam when refering to amplified tone. no one ever said one D*** thing about my tone, they just said they could hear what i played.

finally i just did what i always do when i start to desire another instrument. i bought different strings ( j-75's ronnie mccoury set WOW!) and did a full setup and intonation on my mando. the playability issues are pretty well gone and the tone has improved a bit. there hasnt really been anything that i have wanted to do that i couldnt do on my pac rim , even hack at ode to a butterfly. the only thing lacking now is a bit of tone and a bit of volume. still want an eastman though i think.

thanks everyone for all the responses.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Great French Canadian (Acadian) band "Vishten" (sp) played at the National Folk Festival this weekend. Powerful playing all around. When the fiddle player picked up his mandolin it was an Ovation. He even used a capo on one tune. Bottom line, there was no doubt on this guys ability, but to the people that he played with an Ovation with a capo was perfectly O.K. Puts things into perspective, eh?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

just to be clear, my mando is a kentucky and my guitars are ovation. i dont really care for that ovation mando tone. their guitars are great though.