Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23444546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1294

Thread: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

Late ‘70s, Boulder, Colorado, working as a geologist! Ah, the memories. . .

My first awareness of Hot Rize!

Had my Kay. It took a while for me to upgrade!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Somehow I completely traded or sold off my flat top mandolins and really miss them. I had some Big Muddies and really like them but eventually sold them off ( I do not know why). So, here just lately, I have gone into a MAF (mandolin acquisition fit) and have acquired two Flatirons, an NI in a great case and a 3MC with case. This time I really plan on holding on to them and enjoying them. Having said all that I also really like my two arch tops also. The Flatiron thread moves on!

A new member here, with a question: Does it count as a compulsive purchase if someone else (like a loving spouse) acquires a Flatiron Cadet for you?

If so, I might have a tale to tell . . .

A coupla weeks ago, I was rummaging around in a little-used, yet overstuffed closet in a bedroom we don't use, except as a catch-all for you know, stuff. Wedged in the back of the closet, I discovered an old fiberboard mandolin case. Hmm, heavy--there's something in it. A vague memory surfaced, but it was clouded by more than two decades of life's intervening events. Sometime in the dim past my wife had mentioned that she liked the sound of a mandolin, and she'd like it if I were to add a mandolin to my modest selection of guitars (I'm merely a hobby guitartist just for fun). I must have mumbled something in the affirmative because a little later, she presented me with a mandolin in this very case. I graciously accepted and put it away fully intending to begin learning the mandolin. That was 1993.

Unfortunately, life has a way of disrupting the best of intentions. I was still in government service at the time, and circumstantial demands would only escalate until my retirement in 2005.

Ever hear the typical comments about how much free time you'll enjoy post retirement? Yeah, right . . . They don't tell you about the rip in the space-time continuum that allows all that presumed leisure time to subtly leak away. You learn that lesson the hard way--and then you look for something else to do, just to stay sane. So, I have a second career as a technical/legal writer and novelist that has proven satisfactory, and more often than not, fun.

All the while the music has beckoned, a guitar usually handy for periodic foray into calming bliss that keeps me centered and often leads to inspiration. Trust me, novelists need all the inspiration they can get.

Occasionally life allows a pleasant surprise, just waiting to be rediscovered in the nether regions of a dark forgotten closet, and earning me a smug smile and knowing glance from my ever-patient wife.

Okay, the details: 1993 Flatiron Cadet (as new in the original fiberboard case, 3 clasps), Serial No. 93105083, Performer Series, Handmade in Bozeman, MT., Nickel/Chrome (?) tuners, and it does have a truss rod. The original strings were about a whole step flat, and some rust speckles were evident on the A & E strings just above the bridge. (Sorry, no pics--I don't have, or want, a smartphone)

Oh yes, I've read the entirety of this legendary thread, savoring the wit and wisdom of the posting members, and learning more than I ever expected. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen; and by all means, please carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmikezero View Post
    A new member here, with a question: Does it count as a compulsive purchase if someone else (like a loving spouse) acquires a Flatiron Cadet for you?

If so, I might have a tale to tell . . .

A coupla weeks ago, I was rummaging around in a little-used, yet overstuffed closet in a bedroom we don't use, except as a catch-all for you know, stuff. Wedged in the back of the closet, I discovered an old fiberboard mandolin case. Hmm, heavy--there's something in it. A vague memory surfaced, but it was clouded by more than two decades of life's intervening events. Sometime in the dim past my wife had mentioned that she liked the sound of a mandolin, and she'd like it if I were to add a mandolin to my modest selection of guitars (I'm merely a hobby guitartist just for fun). I must have mumbled something in the affirmative because a little later, she presented me with a mandolin in this very case. I graciously accepted and put it away fully intending to begin learning the mandolin. That was 1993.

Unfortunately, life has a way of disrupting the best of intentions. I was still in government service at the time, and circumstantial demands would only escalate until my retirement in 2005.

Ever hear the typical comments about how much free time you'll enjoy post retirement? Yeah, right . . . They don't tell you about the rip in the space-time continuum that allows all that presumed leisure time to subtly leak away. You learn that lesson the hard way--and then you look for something else to do, just to stay sane. So, I have a second career as a technical/legal writer and novelist that has proven satisfactory, and more often than not, fun.

All the while the music has beckoned, a guitar usually handy for periodic foray into calming bliss that keeps me centered and often leads to inspiration. Trust me, novelists need all the inspiration they can get.

Occasionally life allows a pleasant surprise, just waiting to be rediscovered in the nether regions of a dark forgotten closet, and earning me a smug smile and knowing glance from my ever-patient wife.

Okay, the details: 1993 Flatiron Cadet (as new in the original fiberboard case, 3 clasps), Serial No. 93105083, Performer Series, Handmade in Bozeman, MT., Nickel/Chrome (?) tuners, and it does have a truss rod. The original strings were about a whole step flat, and some rust speckles were evident on the A & E strings just above the bridge. (Sorry, no pics--I don't have, or want, a smartphone)

Oh yes, I've read the entirety of this legendary thread, savoring the wit and wisdom of the posting members, and learning more than I ever expected. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen; and by all means, please carry on!
    Own up! We want photos!

(great story, lord knows what I'll find when I retire and organize the house!)

f-d

Very funny! After reading this thread for over 15 years I just now realized that the title is not accurate. There is a difference in meaning between compulsive and impulsive.

The title should really be "Impulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N." The OP back in 2004 just clicked the mouse on eBay and bought a Flatiron not knowing anything about them. He didn't find himself buying one every week or even every month or year.

Of course, many of us here are compulsive mandolin buyers—we see or play one and a repeat the act of buying another over and over. That is the heart of MAS.

Here's a description of the difference from verywellmind.com:

While impulse buying is largely unplanned and happens at the moment in reaction to an external trigger — such as seeing the desired item in the shop — compulsive shopping is more inwardly motivated. A compulsive shopper will plan the shopping experience as a way to avoid or relieve uncomfortable internal feelings, such as anxiety.

Compulsive shoppers are also more likely to experience negative consequences as a result of their shopping than impulse buyers, such as running into financial difficulties, having arguments with family members, and experiencing emotional confusion. They are also more likely to fall into a pattern of addictive behavior, in which they shop more and more in an attempt to stave off stress and anxiety. This is how shopping addiction develops.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

My 1984 3MW Flatiron Mandolin just showed up. This is my first mandolin, from what I can tell, it plays well.
    Wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I spent 2 days reading all of it

What is everyone’s action height at the 12th fret?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Very funny! After reading this thread for over 15 years I just now realized that the title is not accurate. There is a difference in meaning between compulsive and impulsive.

The title should really be "Impulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N." The OP back in 2004 just clicked the mouse on eBay and bought a Flatiron not knowing anything about them. He didn't find himself buying one every week or even every month or year.

Of course, many of us here are compulsive mandolin buyers—we see or play one and a repeat the act of buying another over and over. That is the heart of MAS.

Here's a description of the difference from verywellmind.com:
    As the original poster of this thread over 15 years ago all I can say is "Mr Garber, , oh sure throw that in my face!!!" Haha!
    I can't remember last week never mind 15 years ago but I think I was a compulsive buyer who engaged in an impulsive buy.
    One thing I do know is that that particular Flatiron was only the first in a number of Flatiron Cadets that I have bought and sold over the years along with dozens and dozens of other mandolins.
    I might not have been a compulsive mandolin buyer way back then but I certainly became one.
    I still find mandolins around here that I have no recollection of buying.
    Lots of nooks and crannies in this house to hide them in.
    Turns out that I unintentionally hide them from myself too.
    15 years! Wow. Time flies.

10. The following members say thank you to atetone for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by atetone View Post
    As the original poster of this thread over 15 years ago all I can say is "Mr Garber, , oh sure throw that in my face!!!" Haha!
    I can't remember last week never mind 15 years ago but I think I was a compulsive buyer who engaged in an impulsive buy.
    One thing I do know is that that particular Flatiron was only the first in a number of Flatiron Cadets that I have bought and sold over the years along with dozens and dozens of other mandolins.
    I might not have been a compulsive mandolin buyer way back then but I certainly became one.
    I still find mandolins around here that I have no recollection of buying.
    Lots of nooks and crannies in this house to hide them in.
    Turns out that I unintentionally hide them from myself too.
    15 years! Wow. Time flies.
    Well, Mr. Atetone (if that is your real name), do you still have your original Flatiron 1N? That particular mandolin was the inspiration for one of the most iconic and long-lived threads on this esteemed site. Did you sell that one, too?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love seeing this thread pop up now and then. The 1N is as solid as it ever was, and a fine way to go if bluegrass isn’t your thing. It is still the cheapest truly satisfying mandolin I’ve played.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Jim I don’t still own the mandolin that I started this thread about.
    I can’t really remember but I think I probably traded it away for something else.
    After that I did buy several others iterations of the Cadet but they are all gone too.
    In regards to my apprehension at the time I need not have worried.
    I was very happy with the purchase as it turned out. They are nice little mandolins and louder than you would think possible but of course you are familiar with them so you know that.
    Once this thread took off I made a point of not posting to it until now.
    I didn’t want to be seen to be falsely pumping it but that is old news now.
    It took on a life of its own and it seems to help people learn about these wonderful little mandolins.
    Good stuff.

That is all right. Thanks for "compulsively" starting this thread. It is one of the landmark threads of this site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Good to check in on the old Flatiron pancake thread once in a while.

Son in law has my original '84. Gave it to him as a wedding present!

Immediately bought an '83. And, yes, it does have the five-latch case!

Still love these mandolins!

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    Got an '83 1N today. What can I say that has not been said in the 1002 previous posts? Beautiful. Simple. Playable. Sweet tone. Great volume. Going to play it all day tomorrow.
    Quoting the post I made in January 2014 on page 40 of this thread because I just bought this '83 1N back from Cafe member theCOOP after selling it to him a few years ago. He was very kind to give me right of first refusal before listing it for sale, and I am so happy to have this mandolin back. I have sold a lot of mandolins in the almost ten years since I got my first one, but I have never really had seller's remorse except for the 1N. I know to never say never, but I am never parting with this mandolin again!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1N.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	428.9 KB 
ID:	186691

18. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Guess I'll join in the fun. Just compulsively bought the 1N Elderly put up in the classifieds. Always wanted one!

Congrats! I find it is the perfect complement to my KM-950, which I see you also have. Post some pics when it arrives, please!

Hi Eric! Full report when it's in hand! I just noticed that mandolin myself. Looks very clean. I'm sure it'll be great!

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Guess I'll join in the fun. Just compulsively bought the 1N Elderly put up in the classifieds. Always wanted one!
    Hah! Being a language curmudgeon, I will again bring up the misuse of the title word here. So, Eric, will you buy another for every week for a while, not being able to stop. Just kidding, of course.

The correct title for this thread should be "Impulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Working on Soliver #001: my first build is following plans from Terry Majewski for a Flatty just like the 1N. I had a 1N for a short period (see page 45 #1115 of this thread) and I kinda wish I'd kept it.... #001 will have a torrified sitka top and mahogany back and sides.

Name:	978883CB-016C-4176-87D0-425802F07806.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	846.1 KB 
ID:	186933
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hah! Being a language curmudgeon, I will again bring up the misuse of the title word here. So, Eric, will you buy another for every week for a while, not being able to stop. Just kidding, of course.

The correct title for this thread should be "Impulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N."
    Stay tuned!

soliver, That's exciting!

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    soliver, That's exciting!

f-d
    INDEEDY!... I'll keep this thread updated!
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Here's a more complete pic of where I'm at:

Name:	8B9DD630-6365-41B1-9F6E-0B17B617C36E.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	422.0 KB 
ID:	186972

Top and back rough cut waiting on bracing; received brace wood from LMI, radiused ebony finger board from SM
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Name:	C2BA7614-4235-45F7-8DA8-82DFB267E919.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	187123

I’ve owned a few of these over the years but not in recent times. That changed with this Koa back and sides March 1986 model. Came with the 5 latch case. Incredible tone and playability. Always happy to see this thread resurface!

29. The following members say thank you to pickinNgrinnin for this post: