Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 244546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1294

Thread: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

Default Re: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

One comment. Others have given splendid comments about the mandolin. There is no such thing as a compulsive purchase, when it comes to mandolin!. Now, on the subject of retirement. I experienced the same issues. I had to purchase the larger DayTimer diary AFTER I retired. After about 1 year or so, I learned a whole new word, NO ! It is hard at first, but it gets easier. You have to say it to your neighbors, all the organizations you belong to, your grandchildren, the list goes on. I quit using the word, "retirement" altogether. That helped, as well. Eight years later, I am busier than ever, but I am setting the pace and feeling the peace, knowing that I now have the time to do purposeful, fulfilling work. I stepped up to be president of my Rotary Club, because I wanted to. I play my mandolins and mountain dulcimers often--in the house, in the yard, wherever. I serve as a library trustee because I wanted to and felt passionate about it. In this world today, literacy and music are things that will save people from themselves. Find that light that has been burning inside you and go for it. You are not required to be a gatekeeper, a chauffer, or a family logistics facilitator. It will feel so liberating and it IS NOT selfish.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dulcillini For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

P-N-G, Wow! That's a sweet mandolin! I'm also drawn to the 5-latch case as ultimate security for these pancakes! Just so right!

I'd also be quite curious about the koa sound! I can already tell, it's cool looking!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by dulcillini View Post
    One comment. Others have given splendid comments about the mandolin. There is no such thing as a compulsive purchase, when it comes to mandolin!. Now, on the subject of retirement. I experienced the same issues. I had to purchase the larger DayTimer diary AFTER I retired. After about 1 year or so, I learned a whole new word, NO ! It is hard at first, but it gets easier. You have to say it to your neighbors, all the organizations you belong to, your grandchildren, the list goes on. I quit using the word, "retirement" altogether. That helped, as well. Eight years later, I am busier than ever, but I am setting the pace and feeling the peace, knowing that I now have the time to do purposeful, fulfilling work. I stepped up to be president of my Rotary Club, because I wanted to. I play my mandolins and mountain dulcimers often--in the house, in the yard, wherever. I serve as a library trustee because I wanted to and felt passionate about it. In this world today, literacy and music are things that will save people from themselves. Find that light that has been burning inside you and go for it. You are not required to be a gatekeeper, a chauffer, or a family logistics facilitator. It will feel so liberating and it IS NOT selfish.
    (I want to retire so badly! Had my papers in. Had my date set. Then COVID! Sure, I get to work from home! So, that's nice. Heck, my wife has been working from home for decades! Then she lost her job. So, I keep working for the medical insurance (She's younger). We'll get there. . . all in good time.)

f-d

5. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

..There is no such thing as a compulsive purchase, when it comes to mandolin!.
    I believe an earlier post revealed that the thread was supposed to be called "Impulsive Purchase." I'm too lazy to go looking for the post.

Now, on the subject of retirement. I experienced the same issues. I had to purchase the larger DayTimer diary AFTER I retired...I quit using the word, "retirement" altogether...Eight years later, I am busier than ever...Find that light that has been burning inside you and go for it...It will feel so liberating and it IS NOT selfish.
    Agree. I retired 19.5 years ago. Since then I've played 2-3K gigs, plus helping set up two concert series, and keeping active in political campaigns, alumni affairs, and our local folk music club. The pandemic's cut me back severely, but I'm raring to get back into things when it's over. (If it's ever over...)
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

[Wow! That's a sweet mandolin! I'm also drawn to the 5-latch case as ultimate security for these pancakes! Just so right!

I'd also be quite curious about the koa sound! I can already tell, it's cool looking!

f-d[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you are still keeping this long standing thread going! My Koa Pancake has the brightness of the Maple back and side versions I’ve owned but this Koa Pancake has a sweeter midrange. Such a great little picker. It’s also my first one that came with the 5 latch case. I lived in Montana when this was built, lucky to have found it 34 years later. Here’s a shot of the back, very flamey back and sides. Beautiful!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF176494-BA23-4F94-88F0-CC1F92E75A60.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	371.9 KB 
ID:	187171

Name:	0A0DF286-C910-4188-92D2-AAE1D7318821.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	187172

Great post my friend. I am retired (I'm 60) and I spend a lot of time with guitar, and now mandolin, and being a volunteer literacy tutor at my local library. I agree that music and literacy make the world a better place.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by pickinNgrinnin View Post
    [Wow! That's a sweet mandolin! I'm also drawn to the 5-latch case as ultimate security for these pancakes! Just so right!

f-d
    Glad to see you are still keeping this long standing thread going! My Koa Pancake has the brightness of the Maple back and side versions I’ve owned but this Koa Pancake has a sweeter midrange. Such a great little picker. It’s also my first one that came with the 5 latch case. I lived in Montana when this was built, lucky to have found it 34 years later. Here’s a shot of the back, very flamey back and sides. Beautiful!

Name:	CF176494-BA23-4F94-88F0-CC1F92E75A60.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	371.9 KB 
ID:	187171

Name:	0A0DF286-C910-4188-92D2-AAE1D7318821.jpg 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	187172[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty mandolin and a great story about being nearby when it was built and then finding it years later!

Rob

That is a pretty mandolin! Play it in good health!

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hah! Being a language curmudgeon, I will again bring up the misuse of the title word here. So, Eric, will you buy another for every week for a while, not being able to stop. Just kidding, of course.

The correct title for this thread should be "Impulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N."
    I guess it could be compelling rather than compulsive.
    When I bought mine it seemed that way - still does.

2M-F on eBay (5-latch case)! Wow! An f-hole pancake!

f-d

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Name:	2C8E6FE9-9023-4858-9833-81BFB9D5018C.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	752.9 KB 
ID:	187660

Name:	C63816F3-749A-4574-8EE2-F114135AD01B.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	820.0 KB 
ID:	187661

Name:	D087E2A4-2494-442A-B743-8442E688E497.jpg 
Size:	736.4 KB 
ID:	187662

#001 coming along nicely! My sound board has some really nice bear claw!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Hey Spencer! That's so great!

I was going to edit in my screen capture of the f-hole pancake. Too late. So, I'm doing that right now.

Name:	f-hole pancake.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	370.0 KB 
ID:	187666

f-d

15. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Cobalt 

Sawchyn makes an F hole model; The Hobo https://store.dustystrings.com/p-5791-sawchyn-hobo.aspx
    Silverangel Econo A #429

17. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Hey Spencer! That's so great!

I was going to edit in my screen capture of the f-hole pancake. Too late. So, I'm doing that right now.

Name:	f-hole pancake.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	370.0 KB 
ID:	187666

f-d
    I've been seeing that and wondering how it sounds. Must have been an early one?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I've been seeing that and wondering how it sounds. Must have been an early one?
    dude won't accept my offer and wants a heavy shipping fee. I think I'll pass, but. . . Very intrigued!

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    (I want to retire so badly! Had my papers in. Had my date set. Then COVID! Sure, I get to work from home! So, that's nice. Heck, my wife has been working from home for decades! Then she lost her job. So, I keep working for the medical insurance (She's younger). We'll get there. . . all in good time.)

f-d
    I feel your pain...My date was going to be June, 2020. Then COVID. Then some family stuff. My new date is late spring 2021.

Apropos of dulcillini's post above, I am looking forward to learning how to say "NO" to people. Being in a position where you have to serve your client's (frequently unrealistic) demands, it's not a word I use very often. It will be great to say "No, sorry, I have some important things to work out on my mandolin/guitar/dulcimer/violin/piano. Maybe some other time." And I won't feel selfish or bad about it at all.

BTW, to circle back, I have a 1N that was a bit of an >>im<<pulsive purchase. Great for playing in the backyard under the umbrella. Until the mozzies get too bad.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

21. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

Updating with recent photos...

I made a 3 piece peg head veneer with ebony and sapele and got the binding installed over the last few days. Waiting on a couple more things to finish up the fretboard before gluing it to the neck and then I can finish shaping the neck. I wiped down the body with mineral spirits to see how it'd look... unfortunately I'm low on funds so I may have to put things on hold for a short while.

Name:	535287FF-CC2F-484F-A369-DA395DA024DD.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	988.5 KB 
ID:	187825

Name:	4EF414D8-8A7A-440F-BE2D-EC1EBAA65084.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	718.0 KB 
ID:	187826
    Silverangel Econo A #429

23. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Thanks for that reply! Saying, "No!" Hahahahhaaahhaaa! When the phone rings the answer is, "Yes." The mantra of a consultant, which I was for over 30 years. Now it's agency work. Another world of Dilbert! That said, I do love my career. Geo-stuff is fun! And, we are building some really cool projects right now!

Regarding the compulsive [sic] purchases. Seems there are a few of us. How else it get to almost 50 pages of pancake!?!

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by TheMandoKit View Post
    I feel your pain...My date was going to be June, 2020. Then COVID. Then some family stuff. My new date is late spring 2021.

Apropos of dulcillini's post above, I am looking forward to learning how to say "NO" to people. Being in a position where you have to serve your client's (frequently unrealistic) demands, it's not a word I use very often. It will be great to say "No, sorry, I have some important things to work out on my mandolin/guitar/dulcimer/violin/piano. Maybe some other time." And I won't feel selfish or bad about it at all.

BTW, to circle back, I have a 1N that was a bit of an >>im<<pulsive purchase. Great for playing in the backyard under the umbrella. Until the mozzies get too bad.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan Sanders For This Useful Post:

That sounds great Nathan! Thanks for posting!

f-d

Nathan, I wasn't aware that Gibson had made more current versions of the flatty... Cool! Thanks for sharing that, it sounded great!
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Thanks Soliver! Yes, Gibson made this particular army-navy in 1996. Not sure how many they made, but you do not see them too often. The one I have was in a local dealer's inventory for nearly 20 years, brand new. I played it once or twice while he had it. I told a buddy of mine about it, who ended up buying it. I later did some trading with my buddy and ended up with it. Great pancake!

Realized I hadn't posted any recent pics of soliver #001 here on this thread, particularly since it was finished, disassembled, reassembled And refinished... and now sporting an Ebony armrest to match all of the other ebony appointments:

Name:	2E1933E2-8945-4C07-84FC-926A3E344099.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	570.4 KB 
ID:	190619
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB80B26D-83B8-47F5-85AC-8D7219B20605.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	190617  
    Last edited by soliver; Dec-17-2020 at 11:43pm.
    Silverangel Econo A #429

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

Name:	20200702_163353.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	740.1 KB 
ID:	190620
    Realized I never posted a photo of mine.

33. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Nathan, I wasn't aware that Gibson had made more current versions of the flatty... Cool! Thanks for sharing that, it sounded great!
    It's called an "A N Custom"; I have one, label signed by Steve Carlson and dated December 16, 1987. Serial number is 7001128, no FON that I can find.

Very figured back and sides, the old "A-3" inlay design on the headstock, gold hardware and a very nice fitted hardshell case. Mine came from Bernunzio's, and is also signed inside with a Sharpie, "L. Catello." John Bernunzio told me that it was probably made for Lou Catello of Catello & Sons in Berlin NH, a store that was in business for quite a few years and "sold everything from Gibson guitars to bass boats and outboard motors," according to John B.

Nice instrument, and shows that Carlson didn't lose his love of making "pancake" mandolins when he went to work for Gibson.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post: