Thread: Post a pic of your finished Stew-Mac

Hello fellow Mando Freaks!
    I am interested in building one of the Stew mac F style kits and I want to see some finished product before I buy the kit. If any of you people have completed the kit, go ahead and post some pictures!!!

Brett-currently listening to Chris Thile like everyone else.

I feel unloved...

-Brett

Hey Brett, maybe they aren't finished w/'em yet. We love ya man, just have fun here and with your mandolin in hand. Im gonna give building a shot this spring when the garage warms up some...haven't decieded to go with a kit or scratch yet. Gonna start with a flattoped mandola first than try the carved topped A style. Wish me luck...Im gonna need it Im sure!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Not finished?!?!!

Actually, here's a pic of what I came up with the stew mac A-kit. It's not great, it doesn't have binding nor inlay, but it has a sound I really like and that's what I like about it!

http://www.obfus.com/gallery/albums/.../donefront.jpg

Stu

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

There is nothing wrong with that mando at all. I would be a proud owner if I were you and when someone ask you who built it you get to say, "Me!" Good work.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Brett, I'm almost done with my
    stew-Mac F-5 mandolin..I'm doing the sunburst and french polishing. When I had it strung up unfinished a few weeks ago, it had a fantastic sound and real loud.
    I did all the front and back inlays. on the peghead I did the binding, fern inlay in Paua abilony, and my name in MOP. I'll post a picture of it when it's done.
    H. Bruun

Awesome, thanks everyone and keep on posting!

Brett-currently listening to Chris Thile like everyone else.

Here is my F5 from Stew Mac. I am now doing another F5 with Roger Siminoffs wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.Done_Sept_9thOK.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	1060  
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Heres a top view of the inlay. This one looks and plays great, but the tone is tinny, getting better with playing over the months, but I am doing another with Siminoff trying to get a better tone. (More Woody Sounding)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top_View_Mandolin_F5_By_JDcrop.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	1061  
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Yonkle,

I love the finish you put on that instrument. She is awfully pretty. How do you get that kind of color? Pardon my ignorance, but I have no experience in staining an instrument. Good job.

Dedian-your a-style looks great. Was that style mandolin very difficult to build? Good work.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Sure is sweet looking, kinda like a "cabernet" kind of flavor to the finsh but not as dark. Must sound darn good too. Wish I was good with building, I'd sure like to try it some day, nothing like making somthing yourself.

cheers
    RR

Buckley -- I don't have much to compare the building process to, it was my first. My impressions were that it went together well, but that I didn't have the experience or patience for intricate details (the overiding thought was "let's get this done and play a better sounding instrument" rather than "let's make a beauty). The materials in stew-mac's kits could go a long way in capable hands. They're great to start out with (as are other kits, as well, of course). I'm glad I stuck with it and finished it up. I'm pretty happy with it The experience I gained from my first kit will definately help with my second, which I hope to start in the coming months... now that I have a job

Dedian: nice work, how many hours did it take you to make it? (and how long on the calendar? )

Also, how many $ would you say you invested in tools and materials (not counting the content of the kit)?

JD: great finish choice; what color will the next one be? #(how about in Mandohack blue? )

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Thats a great finish color on that mando!...

Mandoryan,built one of the Stew-Mac kits...and it's a darn nice box for the money /experience you have in it!

You have an instrument that ya built with your own two hands(hopefully)...and it can only help ya feel good about yourself!

I take it the Inlay work was not part of the kit,..Yonkle?
    Good looking mando!

I would think you would need an idea of how to gradguate the top,or
    is it somewhat done in the kit form?
    I'd probably get the video's with it ..could only help!

thanks

----------
    Boyd

MD: It's hard to say how many hours it took. I had more time than normal (wasn't working at the time) so calendar wise I think it took about a month, most of that was for finishing. My pictures of the process on my site (http://www.obfus.com/gallery/mandolin) give a pretty accurate indication. Started around Dec 10 and was playable in the white on christmas (just barely). Finishing then took another two weeks at least, including the setting time for the lacquer. As for tools, I had to buy a few things, none of them all too expensive. Picked up a dremel and a few attachments, lots of clamps, a coping saw, files, of course lots of sandpaper, a finger plane, small/violin reamer, a dial caliper to make my own thickness gauge, and I guess assorted other small stuff, nothing too expensive. If I ever find the time to make one from scratch, I'll probably need some beefier equipment, but I think I'll go with another kit for my next endevour.

Spud: the kits come with a blueprint and "topology" for graduating the top and bottoms, as well as lots of other measurements. My mando is about as basic as you can get on the kits -- no inlay or binding. The kit comes with some white binding (no inlay material), but I decided not to risk my #1 to my lack of experience!