Thread: Question about baggs preamps

I've been using a Baggs GigPro on my belt for years and I have been quite pleased with it in terms of sound. For a number of reasons not worth getting into, I've taken to not wearing it on my hip anymore, but rather just taping it to my amp or mic stand. Since I'm not carrying it around anymore, the obvious choice would be the Para Acoustic DI box. But I don't see any need to spend $160 for that if the sound is not a significant step up from the GigPro. Anyone have experience with both units and care to share opinions?
    "I'm a farmer with a mandolin and a high tenor voice."

The PADI adds balanced XLR output, a "notch filter" (simplified parametric EQ) for feedback control, and a bit more EQ control for shaping tone. Many people find the notch filter useful, but if you're not having feedback problems with your current rig, and you don't need the additional EQ, then it might be overkill.

Extra features aside, and unless you're running a long line to a house mixer where the XLR output would be useful, I don't think the audio quality of the basic preamp circuit will be noticeably different than the GigPro. There's a limit to what you can get out of these small battery-powered boxes. If you're looking for a significant step up in overall audio quality, then you might have to get into AC-powered rackmount or floor box gear.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

I had a Baggs DI and traded it for more expensive unit with more features, a Boss AD-5. The AD-5 has dual inputs, a more sophisticated notch filter, a very well made holder that clamps on to a mike or music stand and a bunch of other stuff. I miss the Baggs, though. It's a great unit, simple, nice control layout, great sound. One thing to know about it, though, is that it sucks 9V batteries dry in no time. I strongly recommend phantom power or a power adaptor. Ironically, I'm getting ready to sell the AD-5 and buy a Baggs Gigpro. I'm hoping it has the sound of the more expensive units, just without all the features, which I have learned I can get along without, but in a more compact package with better battery life. I am going for simplicity this time around.

Hey, I'll trade ya for the AD-5 if you want!

That's an interesting post, jflynnstl. My local pawn shop actually has an AD-5. I just overlooked it completely on my quest to find a used Baggs PADI. I've never tried the AD-5 out; I just assumed the Baggs would be of better quality. If I can find a used AD-5, what would a good price be? I think the pawn shop wanted $169, but they're always overpriced. Maybe I'll head out there on Monday and try it out. I'd probably consider buying yours too, but I doubt you'd want to trade for my Gigpro. It's quite beat up and I've stripped the screws that hold the belt clip in place. And all the writing identifying the controls has long since faded away. It's a duct-taped monstrosity that my bandmates always get a chuckle out of. (But it still sounds good). You'd be much happier with a new one.

The clip for a mic stand also sounds like a great perk. I didn't realize they made such a thing.

All of this also leads me to the next question - if the AD-5 is decent for a mandolin, do you think the AD-8 would be good as well? It's more expensive, of course, but the built in tuner on a stomp box is a nice luxury...

Quote Originally Posted by
    If you're looking for a significant step up in overall audio quality, then you might have to get into AC-powered rackmount or floor box gear.
    Just for kicks (since I'm almost too cheap to drop the $160 for the Baggs), can you give me some suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by (jeff_75 @ Sep. 08 2007, 14:51)
    Quote Originally Posted by
    If you're looking for a significant step up in overall audio quality, then you might have to get into AC-powered rackmount or floor box gear.
    Just for kicks (since I'm almost too cheap to drop the $160 for the Baggs), can you give me some suggestions?
    Sure, always happy to encourage gear lust.

The "gold standard" acoustic instrument preamp for many years has been the Pendulum SPS-1, which can blend two pickup signals, each with their own parametric EQ before the blend. It also has a nice stereo FX loop, and can handle either pickups or microphones. It's expensive ($1800 USD... wow! they've gone up recently... used to be about $1500), but they do show up on Ebay now and then used for about $1200.:

Pendulum SPS-1

My one nitpick about the Pendulum is that it doesn't have enough EQ range to do both body resonance feedback control, and bass tone shaping (only one low-end para EQ). So I've always thought a neat rig for a mono pickup would be to combine a 1/2 rack tube DI with a Speck EQ. If I ever get the bucks to drop on this, and didn't need the blending feature of the Pendulum (or its stereo FX loop), then this combination would be my ideal, single rackspace, preamp/EQ:

TAB-Funkenwerk DI

Speck ASC EQ

I haven't gone that high-end myself yet, but what I use when I have AC available is a Groove Tubes "Brick" tube DI, with an old TC Electronics Dual Parametric EQ (out of production) fed with a 9v. AC adapter for better audio quality. It's not exactly a Pendulum but for most purposes it gives me enough feedback notching and tone control, with a sweet high-voltage tube front end:

Groove Tubes Brick DI

TC Dual Parametric EQ

All of the above have the disadvantage that you need AC power, but then that's the price you pay for really high-end audio quality. There are a few other battery-powered preamp/EQ's out there, but I don't think they're at this level... at least on the preamp/DI side.

One other thing -- having a great preamp/DI is critical if you're using a passive pickup, but not so much if there is already an onboard preamp built into your pickup. I notice major improvement using the "Brick" on my passive pickup instruments, but it just adds a little subtle tone color for my preamped pickups.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin