Thread: Loar/New Master Models

I've been talking with some of the folks at Gibson about what options are available on new Master Models.Seems there are choices for tobacco or Cremona(darker) sunbursts,2 or 3 fret sizes,flat or radiused fretboards,one or two-piece backs(even choice of wide,tight or medium curl(red?) maple/all is slab-cut),Fern or Flowerpot inlays,top-bound or side-bound;but unlike some of the Loars,there is no option on a new Master Model Gibson for a 3-piece neck.
    #I'm told the reason for this is that back in the day 3-piece necks were used so that they could use smaller "stock".....why is it any different today? I don't get it.
    # The reason I was told that Gibson cannot/will not make a 3-piece neck mandolin today is that they are not "set up" for it.
    # I guess this question is for Big Joe or Charlie,"How come it's such a big deal to make a Master Model with a 3-piece neck like some of the Loars had?"
    # Does it have something to do with the type of trussrod used? (it is the double-ended variety as opposed to the single as in the old Loars?)
    # The new Gibsons I played recently(one Danny Roberts- signed Fern and one Charlie derrrington-signed Master Model were both outstanding instruments. Truly wonderful.

Cameron,

I guess the best answer is:

We really aren't set up for that option at this time. I could personally build you a three piece neck, but my time is so limited nowadays, I don't know how long it would take for me to do it. We are extremely back-ordered on Masters, as it is, and if you wanted me to personally build you a three piece neck, you might have to wait a very, very long time.

Wish it wasn't the way it is, but (for right now) we just have to live with it.

Thanks for the kind words on the mandos.

Charlie

Charlie,
    I'm glad I had a chance to play a Master Model at the Gibson showroom;they are the sound that I feel many,as witnessed by the back-orders,are looking for. I'm sure the back-order wait is well worth it;and, hopefully, is time that cannot be deducted from one's life.
    I sure enjoyed my visit to Nashvegas;I especially enjoyed talking with Billy(at Gibson);he is a treasure trove of mandolin wisdom!
    c

That's not all Billy is full of.... .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

So, if a guy orders a three-piece neck on a MM, would Charlie go ahead and put a date on the label immediately so that by the time he gets around to actually finishing, it might be considered a "vintage" Master Model?
    Fred

That's what probably would happen. Of course, he probably would not get it started till he retired .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Actually, I think my F-5V Fern already has a three-piece neck. Let's see, it has a peghead, a fingerboard and the chunk of wood under the fingerboard! So I guess I won't need to place an order just yet.
    Fred