Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video - mike marshall on mandocello

Quote Originally Posted by (8_String_Keith @ Sep. 10 2007, 15:04)
    This might sound silly but would anyone know where I could fine the tab or the sheet music for the mandolin on Cello Suite? # .... (yes I know it's in bass clef)

Probably Tab would be better #
    It's usually easier to transpose it to D on the mandolin- G on the dola/cello works as written. The tab is at Mandozine, I think.

Don't know about tab, but I posted a link on the first page of this thread to the sheet music arranged for violin. Same tuning as the mandolin, so it works great. It's transposed up a fifth to D so that the fingerings lay out the same as they would on a CGDA tuned instrument.

wayfaringstranger thanks for reposting that link. Somehow I had missed it the first time through the thread. I have been pulling my hair out trying to read the bass clef of the cello notation and transposing up a 5th on the fly at the same time.

Ok, so this is where I get messed up. If I play the Prelude to Suite I from the Icking archive on the mandolin it is as written. The first measure starts with D A F# E. If I play it on the mandola using the same exact fingering it is G D B A, is that correct?
    I always confuse myself trying to move and transpose this stuff (let's see, carry the one and add it to X-cubed times infinity and then.....)[I]
    Kevin Vail

Quote Originally Posted by (aries753 @ Sep. 11 2007, 21:25)
    Ok, so this is where I get messed up. If I play the Prelude to Suite I from the Icking archive on the mandolin it is as written. The first measure starts with D A F# E. If I play it on the mandola using the same exact fingering it is G D B A, is that correct?
    Yes -- finger a C scale on your mandolin. If you start on the fret 5 of the G string, the A and B will be the open A string and the 2nd fret (i.e. a whole step apart). The E and F are at frets 2 and 3 of your D string (i.e. a half step). To get a whole step, you need to push the F up to F#.
    David Westwick.

Blog Entries

First, thanks for that video. #It made my day to see Gator Strut performed and to see Mike's ease and joy on the instrument. #I can't wait to go to Mandolin Symposium one year to see it up close.

On the subject of buying a mandocello. #In another discussion on Wishnevsky's instruments I went to his site. #For ~$600 you could get a hand built (very spartan mind you) guitar shaped arch topped mandocello with f holes. #I wonder if he would do an oval?
    Here's his website. #That may be a fun inexpensive way to get a decent mandocello.

Jamie

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Well, this thread has run long enough for me to be really frustrated that I can not get that file to play on Windows Media Player. When I try, I get this message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available.

Anyone got any ideas for me?

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeB @ Sep. 13 2007, 13:27)
    <<When I try, I get this message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available.

Anyone got any ideas for me?
    Go directly to www.daddario.com and click on the links there. That solved my problem.

Good luck.

Steve

Blog Entries

or right click on the link and save target as... to your local directory (39MB not dial up friendly).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thank you, guys, SO MUCH!! That was TOTALLY worth the wait and the trouble!! (I went directly to D'Addario, btw. Tried the other trick with no luck...)

Mike Marshall is incredible! Never thought I'd have the slightest desire to play a mandocello, but MAN, how could you not want to sound like THAT?!?!

Which cello suite is Mike Marshall playing? There are 6 cello suites listed, from BWV 1007 to BWV 1012 on the Warner Icking Music Archive site.
    Kevin Vail

Blog Entries

He's playing the Prelude to Suite #1 (BWV 1007). Here's a nice clip of Mischa Maisky playing it on cello. Of course, I really like Mike's rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by (PhilGE @ Sep. 14 2007, 21:04)
    He's playing the Prelude to Suite #1 (BWV 1007). Here's a nice clip of Mischa Maisky playing it on cello. Of course, I really like Mike's rendition.
    When I first started learning the prelude to the first cello suite (many moons ago), it just seemed as if Bach had written it for the mandocello (even though it would be about 200 years before the instrument came into being). The mando-cello (especially the large bodied K-4s, K-5s and their ilk) has a massive sustain -- just listen to the "G-pedal" at the beginning of the prelude -- it's still ringing when is gets plucked again at the beginning of the next bar, and the next, and the next.

I like Mike's playing on this. He gets a really nice tone out of the cello, and manages the sustain really well -- letting notes ring where they add to the harmony, and damping them when they don't. Unfortunately, he hits a couple of wrong notes near the beginning (I actually checked my score, and then the version on the Werner Icking archive, to make absolutely sure that I hadn't been playing the wrong notes for the last 10 years or so). I would really love to hear him play the Sarabande from the first suite on that Monteleone.
    David Westwick.

It's not Mike Marshall, it's 2 mandocellos!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEAB5Bib02M

Enjoy
    Kevin Vail

Does someone have tabs/music for the gator strut? If not does it appear in any book?

He seriously KILLS it. That low C just shakes the damn earth.
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Keith: Google "Werner Icking Archive" there you'll find a pdf of the Cello Suites in treble clef if you want- also in bass and alto clefs. Great site!

The Cello Suites are easier, on the whole (and the hands) than the Sonatas and Partitas.
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

Quote Originally Posted by (aries753 @ Nov. 17 2007, 13:50)
    It's not Mike Marshall, it's 2 mandocellos!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEAB5Bib02M

Enjoy
    Sweet Jebus...

Santa, all I want for Christmas is a mandocello...
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by (linguist @ Nov. 17 2007, 14:32)
    Does someone have tabs/music for the gator strut? If not does it appear in any book?

He seriously KILLS it. That low C just shakes the damn earth.
    I was surprised that one, and Ybor City, were not in his book, but they're good exercises. I believe you could get most of Gator Strut by some slowdown device - I'm still stumped by the low d flat note
    because I can't hear the bass note under it.

What a cool person he is! Watch his mandolin lesson, too, he covers the subjects of at least 3 of the most frequent Café threads!