Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fisher's hornpipe

If you arrived here by sorting for new posts. Then the word "new" gets automatically highlighted as if you had searched and sorted for posts conainting the word "new".

Oh, I get it. Sorry!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it's much appreciated.

And now, on to Red Haired Boy...

Carolyn

Myanocsko (I'm impressed by some of your usernames...), your Fisher version is lovely. Is it your own or have you found it somewhere? Love your playing, too.

Isn't it nice how all these recordings just drop in at the end of the month? (ok, it's the beginning of the month now..)

the version i learned is partly from mel bay's mandolin 2000 book and from dix bruce's play along old time fiddle book.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

All 3 of those posted on July1 are very nicely done. This project is very cool, and a great way to share music and learn.
    2001 Flatiron F5

In case any of you were wondering why I, the guy who tried to land Fisher's as our song-o-the-month three times hasn't recorded a version - I've been gone a lot! I just recorded one last night, and for take 2, I was very happpy with it. Thanks for waiting and thanks for having Fisher's on for the month. I didn't know the song prior, and I just think its' beautiful.
    Alan

alan,

you're up on the MP site. clean work, as usual! thanks for the post.

cheers,

craig

It sounds great, Alan! It's Mandoanon's tab version isn't it? I tried to play it too but there were too many papers to keep track of... I never remembered when to add this and that, so I just played the version in the mandolin picker's fakebook. I really like this version though, I love the way it builds up. Nicely done, I really appreciate the simple basic recordings, they're so inspiring.

Craig n Tjej,

Thanks, as always for your kind words. #I sure don't have time to try a 'layered' version with tracks and all. #Funny thing was I haven't been happy with my playing lately and haven't played much lately at all. #All of a sudden I grab my mandolin and run off two attempts at Fishers' and that was #2. #Funny how you are sometimes better after a "break" from the mandolin.

At that rate, I might just put down the ol mando for 3 years and in 2007 I'll be Sam Bush. (that is, if I don't cut my HAIR as well).

Alan

I've noticed that, too. I suppose you need a break sometimes. Not too long breaks, though...

...added the word "HAIR" to the last line of my last post.should make a little more sense now.
    Alan

Yes, it does.

better late than never (like me). thanks for the new posts martinjonas1969 and ken123332000! hopefully someone else can give you the props you deserve. haven't had a chance to listen.

craig

Ken! Your recording is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand how people do to play that fast, I just can't do it. It sounds lovely, very well done indeed.

The hardest thing about trying to play faster is to relax your hands and arms. I can only keep it up for a short while before I start to tense up again. The more often I play though the better it gets. I have heard recordings though that make my playing seem slow.

You sound pretty relaxed on that uncle ken - nice version!