Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fisher's hornpipe

Dustin,
    Playing with others is totally different when it comes to advancing. You are doing extraodinary things already. #Don't look around and don't look back. #But always remember that your back up playing is almost nooooo is MORE important than playing the melody or break. #You're doing great!
    #Here are some statistics about the beautiful renditions that I thought were interesting...
    Beats Per Minutes for each download... approx. Please correct if you need to.. These are rounded and assumed...

1 #gastineau_smolt G_Smolt #200bpm
    2 #camaroonski cam 190bpm
    3 #stingert stingert 165bpm
    4 #pattroglyph #155bpm
    5 #dgsignal # 195bpm
    Notice my conservative rendition was the slowest bpm. Oh well. #"Smooth.. slow.. we desire" to quote Yoda.. Maybe fingering could help.
    Style Question... I think it is interesting that some renditions have the "lilt" others are more measured. Cam and I seem to have the celtic jaunt going. I wonder if people might comment on that.

Holy cow - what a song. And what beautiful versions I've heard so far. My dialup has yet to donwload Gatineau's, but the others are fantastic.

Cameroonski, please tell me what you've all got going on in your recording. Sweet playing all of you!

I lvoe the song, but will not be able to come up with anything near as wondrous.

ADM
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by (levin4now @ June 10 2004, 22:10)
    Cameroonski, please tell me what you've all got going on in your recording.
    It's 3 tracks - lead mando , lead guitar and rhythm guitar.

I think my version of 'Fishers' will show up soon, well maybe... if I'm not still the computer poster child? #I've always said, well sometimes or maybe never, this thread is great for bringing tunes back for me that I learned years ago. #Obviously when I was a small child, teenager, young adult...whatever! #I now realize, I learned the bare minimum versions of tunes when learning, and I never tried to change over time. The naked version, no frills, embellishments (big word), back-up, (can't figure out how to time the back-up tracks anyway), coughs, re-starts, tags, and everything else I should know. #Pick and and click, Dan

The bare bones version isn't too bad...(farmerf5) Dan

Play em like you know em!

Almost there ...

I think I'm finally ready to record. I can work up some tunes quickly, others take an extended immersion until I'm 'finished steeping'.

Maybe tonight ... by Monday at least.

I think tonight I'll also caych up on listening to what;s up already. Hopefully I won't start second guessing my own version after hearing what's up so far.

- Benig

P.S. I'm also ready to cook up another Misc Musing.

Benig. Hurry up man! Get cooking! I really enjoy what tunes you work up.
    Alan

yeah, benignus,

where you been man? looking forward to some of your new stuff. i've worn out sally goodin!

brew us up something good

craig

Oh well, here goes..I posted my Fishers Hornpipe. #I finally got a relatively clean slow version of this done. #Maybe a year from now I can compare it, hopefully it will be better!

Ok if I can do it you other lurkers can! C'mon, lets hear more, its all in good fun. #

2001 Flatiron F5

Good Job mnormand.

Mnormand,
    Lovely version!!!! I really like it and you play very clean and nice too. Well done.

mnormand,

ditto what bluegrasstjej said. nice clean playing! thanks for crossing over from the world of the lurkers.

happy pickin'

craig

Well. I started last night, but nothing's a 'keeper' yet. I'm using my little Larrivee parlour for some Old-Timey back-up, and so far it sounds cool. I just need to play it a little better.

I'm really hoping that Friday night I can record a new Misc Musing, but that's a much more ambitious undertaking so it's gonna go however it goes ...

cam, I just can't stop enjoying your version. There are some subtle note choices going on that are really cool!

I recorded the melody a few weeks ago but I am trying to do it a bit faster. I did one that was ok after some editing but then my computer screwed it up. I think I'll do the melody in Audacity and the rest in N-track. Then at least I know it is there somewhere!
    Well, I still screw it up at some places if I play it fast, so a few more days practice is needed.

It's up at Yahoo!. I'm just barely in control of my playing, but I still like it. Hope you all do, too.

- Benig

Benig,

Great job. I love that song. I don't mean to get "picky" but is that the sound of you dropping your pick on the desk when reaching for the mouse to shut down the recording? Sounds like I've heard that before!
    Alan

LOL! True enough.

Nice job on Benig-Fishpipe. It is such a lively tune...
    I wish I had a foot mouse.

benign,

really like those triplets that you and cam throw into your versions. gives it a real traditional feel. guess that's part of what makes it a hornpipe (?). nice mellow back-up, too. very well edited overall! thanks!

craig

Lurker Mode Off:

I am finanly going to learn and record a tune. Some of the tunes I knew and did not record. I really like this one. I learned the A part in 1 day at tempo.

My question is does this tune normally have the third part? Can one just play the 1st and 2nd.

Thanks

Tim Saxton
    "Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."

Benignus, you've done it again! Beautiful. I love the guitar part, too. You got a very Celtic feel there. Almost sounds like an octave mando or a cittern. Really great, Mike!

That's not a pick put on the table, it sounds like some "taking the fingers off the guitar strings" sound.
    Very nice playing, Benignus, I like that. I agree it almost sounds like a mandola or octave mandolin (whatever the difference is).

I'm giving up with this tune now. I've learned it, I play the version from the mandolin picker's fake book and I can even play it at speed. But I can't record it. I've been trying for 2 or 3 weeks and I always do at least one mistake that I can't cover up by cutting and pasting. Now I'm just getting angry and I just want to throw up on this tune now. Now I'm getting frustrated and it won't ever work when I just stress about getting a recording done. Maybe I'll record it later.
    I can't even use N-track, when I try to save a file as wav my computer gets out of memory even if I don't use any othe programs and I'm just giving up this now, maybe I'm too tired after a busy day at work but at the moment I just want to quit this whole MP thing. I'll never learn anything well enough to record it and everything just screws up. And where are the beginners, now when we finally have a beginner version?? Am I all alone from the beginner world?
    I was hoping my recordings would be nice now with N-track that syncs and if N-track doesn't work, I don't want to record anything because I'm fed up with Audacity in which I have to record millions of tracks just to MAYBE get the back-up suit to the melody. I just want a software that syncs immediately without me having to adjust things. I found the full version of N-track on a software that you musicians don't like but us poor people love, it starts with a K and ends with azaa. I can't afford to buy all those fancy programs. I just want N-track to work. It worked the first times but now I don't even want to try because my whole computer gets stuck.

bluegrasstjej,

What do you want to wager?
    Alan

I suspect that most players that have recorded their tunes without "at least one mistake" have either been playing the song for a substantial period of time, been playing the mandolin for quite awhile, are playing the tune slower than their top picking speed, or have aquired good editing skills with their recording software.

This project is for fun and learning from each other. I wouldnt stress out over any mistakes in your recording. #Most people are their own worst critics and we may not even notice your mistakes. #I am not familiar with N Tracks or Audacity and the problems you may be having, but I am quite familiar with trying to record a tune note perfect - and for me it has never happened. #For now, I would concentrate on having some fun while learning to play your mandolin. #Please dont abandon the MP!

What recording software do you use, Mandoanon?

These two, Audacity and N-Track, are driving me crazy at the moment. When I get my salary I'll buy a whole lot of CDs and burn all my important files and little programs I've installed after buying the computer, and I'll do a total clean-up and re-install the things I use the most. Maybe that will make the computer cooperate with me and with N-track. I may have a little too much in it now.

Last night I didn't even feel like playing the mandolin anymore (but I mostly change my mind really soon) but after some arpeggios I felt better. I'm just starting out to learn playing them, and use them as back-up instead of chops. Sounds really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by (levin4now @ June 20 2004, 01:37)
    bluegrasstjej,

What do you want to wager? #
    Alan, sorry for being a stupid foreigner, but what does wager means?