Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in a name?

Hmm..

I'm a chiropractor specializing in rehab....

Eric Nelson, DC CCSP
    www.nelsonpilates.com

i wish i could say my last name was Smith and i actually live in Chicago, but i can't.

The only thing slightly ironic is ima cube dweller by day. But i do live on a farm and even wear bib-overalls.

A full-time farmer doesn't have time for this.

My Japanese F5 has a label that says it was inspected by Rroyd Roar on July 9, 1983.

The words "dynamite", "dynamo", "dynamic" etc. were derived from the traditional unit of force, "Dyne". Well, "Dyne" has been relegated to obsolescence and replaced by "Newton", so I've been on a one-man crusade to update all the dyne derived words with there modern-day equivalents. Maybe when I get this accomplished I will change my cafe name to "Joulonomics" and continue my work. None of this has anything to do with my real name which is Larry

Another matter-of-fact one: d for Dena and middle name Marie.

Dena

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Mine is self-explanatory. #

Playing anywhere other than IN the closet, milk cows go dry, horses elevate to about four feet and stampede in all directions at that altitude, cats bark, dogs meow and skunks expel their aromatic scent - all much to the total dismay of other folks in my rural neighborhood.

The nice thing is the clothes don't throw me out of the closet. #
    "The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

John Cleese, as the French Knight at the tower gate in the Python's Holy Grail, shouting down at the questors below:
    "I farrhhht in your general direction, Engleeeesh peeegdog!"

With apologies to Grisman, as well as my late, great, Jack Russell, who I lovingly referred to from time to time as PigDog despite the fact that that wasn't her name.

Quote Originally Posted by (jim_n_virginia @ Aug. 02 2007, 17:20)
    My name is George and I live in Kansas. #
    And I'm a Florida Gator fan!
    2003 Gibson F5G
    Morgan Monroe MCM-CB
    Kentucky KM-140
    2004 Martin D28
    Blueridge BR-180
    Washburn D30s
    Alvarez RD-10
    Morgan Monroe MGB-2c banjo
    Fender Squier P-Bass
    2009 Beard Gold Tone PBS-M reso

I'm old (70) and been pickin mandolin since 1968. So Olpicker

Mandonewby was taken and everyone at work says I'm old as dirt(57)cuz I've been the 35yrs. I just started learning the mando 3 months ago. So put it together.

My fraternity and member number: Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE), Alpha Delta Chapter, University of Idaho.
    Go Vandals!

My Fraternity as well: Kappa Sigma (Ksig)
    Phil

Blog Entries

Although you might think I have two first names, this is actually my first and last name.

I branched out from guitar with a cheap mando in 1982. #At that time, there was no Internet or Mandolin Cafe. #I had no books, sheetmusic or tabs for guidance. #I discovered chords, progressions, double-stops and solos on my own (with some knowledge of music theory acquired from my guitar background).

Over the next twenty years, I eventually smartened up and started buying books and videos when I could find (and afford) them. #But I never learned how to read tabs. #And I still prefer to 'break down' and learn a new tune on my own.

I don't recommend my 'blueprint' for learning how to play mando. #It's inefficient, it's time-consuming and one can develop a lot of bad playing habits which become more difficult to discard as one gets older. #

When I registered and was obliged to select a user name on the Cafe four years ago, 'pathfinder' seemed like a logical choice.

And I have no regrets. #The Cafe is a brilliant discussion board and just another 'path' I've discovered towards getting proficient on this little axe before I meet my Maker. #Don't worry. #I'm only 55.

Being the first message board/forum I'd ever seen and not knowing any better I thought I had to have a name other than my given Michael (Mick) Meinsler for a screen name. I couldn't help but notice all the mando this's and mando that's who were posting here so mandomick it was. Seeing how my computer skills and mandolin playing were at the same approximate level at that time, mandoduh would've been more appropriate.
    mick meinsler

Peter is my Christian name, Hackman is my family name.
    Highly original.

I love the myth and idea of the Greenman.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

My other obsession is Orienteering -- it's a form of running where you have to cut across country looking for cleverly hidden control points, picking any route you want, just using map and compass. Living in the Netherlands where most of the country is pretty wet, that just about explains it. Years ago I lived (and picked) in North Carolina in the flatlands and worked as a soil surveyor, and had to cut across lots of wet piney woods ("pocosins" they call them down there), so was stomping the swamp there too.

Short for "Gastineau Smolt", a popular Dolly Varden fly.

Fitting, because I am Fish-Obsessed, much more than mando-obsessed...the Dolly is one of the fish I am smitten by, and I live on the shore of Gastineau Channel, on Douglas Island, Alaska.

Mark

duh... i used to play mostly flat top mandos.

My last name is McDonald, my hubby's last name is Harvey --when we got married, I didn't change my name [I felt like there were too many music gigs where people knew me by McDonald], so we always said we both change our name to Mcharvey. mcH is just a short version of that.... sheryl
    Sheryl --- Me

Blog Entries

Ralian = short for, Ralian'thas Annavrin...great elven arch mage of Jacitus. (My high school dungeons and dragons character.)
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (fredfrank @ Aug. 03 2007, 00:01)
    Although you might think I have two first names, this is actually my first and last name.
    I used to work with a guy named 'Tom David.'

We used to refer to him as "David comma Tom." # # (David, Tom)

Great thread. Kudos to pjlama!

"The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

I used to go with a girl with 3 first names (my secret!) Dear girl, I sold a stiver for Christmas money(among it's other problems) when I was with her
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I was christened "maddog" by an admiring "fan" when I was in a folk rock band. as by nature I`m a pretty quiet and retiring guy, even when taking the lead guitar/mandolin line, and as I`m a M.D. by profession...the nickname stuck. mark.
    mark
    breedlove quartz
    mowry f5