Thread: Instruments from viet nam

I see this ad from this seller on Ebay. His instruments look very good. But since they come all the way from Viet Nam I'm a little skeptical.

Here is one of his ads,
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Bowl-Back-Italian-Mandola-With-MOP-Art-Inlay-26_W0QQitemZ180144838761QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10
    179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Bowl-Ba....iewItem</a>

Has anyone bought one of these instruments or know any thing about this Ebay Seller? Thanks.

Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

Those mandolins are made in a village--or two--in Vietnam and sold under the Bruce Wei name.

I've seen and played a dozen or so different variations and some of them are wonderful, some are just so-so, all of them need a fair amount of work to make them really playable. Paul Hostetter--who has added his comments to the above-referenced threads--has done some grand setup jobs on some of these, and those have been dandy instruments. Jody Stecher has several, as does Kevin Carr and other folks around the Bay Area.

If you can get them for the lower bids and a willing to invest the time and/or money in a proper setup, they can be a good deal and very nice sounding. Quality is inconsistent from instrument to instrument, and there are a lot of different models. I like the flatback teardrop ones with the dual sound chambers.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Thanks for the info. #I guess what some of the people are saying is they look pretty, but you buy an instrument for the sound over looks. #

It looks like some of his instruments sell for under 250 if you include the high shipping cost.

Speaking of looks vs sound on a mandolin. #On one of the Lark in the Morning Mandolin Tapes. #The guy teaching mandolin has the most beat up mandolin I have ever seen in my life. #But it did sound good! # #

Blog Entries

Bling over drek
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Shouldn't that be "Bwooce Wee" the martial artist??
    Molon Labe

I think that appreciating the inlay and overall design of these mandolins takes a good sense of humor. They are so over the top as to be ridiculous, but they are kind of cool in a way. And once they are fixed up, they can be a great choice as an entry-level or intermediate instrument. Great way to strike up a conversation at your local jam session, too.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Paul Kotapish @ Aug. 01 2007, 22:26)
    Great way to strike up a conversation at your local jam session, too.
    "Hey, can you turn down those sparkles, I can't see my tuner."

"I guess we don't need a disco ball tonight, just hand your mandolin up there... oh never mind, we don't play disco."

"Can I borrow your mandolin tomorrow night? I have a midnight jam and I need a reflector to safely cross the highway."

"Hey way cool, that mandolin matches my matadore outfit."

"Is it true that if you hold that thing at the right angle in the direct sunlight you can start a fire?"

Feel free to add your own.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I wonder if the decor is just what Wei likes or if it's meant to refer to much older European instrument styles...?

I don't expect anyone to really know the answer to that, I'm just rambling a bit.

I'm glad to learn that these don't sound spectacular. #Between the low price and the encrusted inlay, they would pose an almost intolerable dilemma for me if they sounded terrific. #

stv

steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I understand that it's styled after a vintage style instrument, but the fact that he actually lists it as an Italian mandola strikes me as odd. Perhaps a Vietnamese mandola with Italian styling.

Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

I believe both wei and antoni tsai do buy the genuine article via ebay (cheap) and then inlay them
    Mountains are holy places
    and beauty is free (runrig)