Thread: Chord melody

Blog Entries

Does anyone play chord melody on the mandolin,I've heard single string, chords but not chord melody thanks
    fred davis

Jethro Burns... Mike Marshall also worked out some nice c-m arrangements. I recall "All the Things You Are."

Some discussion on this thread.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm no Jethro Burns, but I try: Could It Be Magic?
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Trad Jazz Tenor banjo players use that technique too .
    a melodic motion within the chord.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I try to play chord melody on the mandolin. My recordings have melody statements, intros, endings, and some solo spasms done in chord melody style, inspired by Jethro Burns, Wes Montgomery, George Benson,Errol Garner, George Shearing, Jethro Burns, and Jethro Burns...

I'm not trying to come on strong about my records though. There's more examples of chord melody stuff to try(TAB,analysis, etc..) in the jazz column in Mandolin Magazine, also in Joe Carr's chord column.

You'll also want to check out other players who incorporate the technique into their style.The aforementioned Mike Monster I mean Marshall for sure has cooked up some cool stuff and his chord book is a good starting point for "grips". Also Evan Marshall's DUO style I consider to be a cousin to chord melody. Both styles state melodies in 3 or 4 note groups. Evan speaks all mando languages and his materials are not to be missed.

Tony Williamson is a great c-m player too, check out TONE POETS on Acoustic Disc, and his solo CD "All for Naught".
    Another great one is Emory Lester. Emory can follow exquisite original bluegrass with "All the Things You Are" in any key. Mark Wilson of Intellitouch has also been exploring chord melody, arranging Miles Davis and Wayne Shorter tunes!Hopefully some of all these cats arrangements can be made available for your perusal.

I have just about a book's worth of arrangements piling up, but the HOLY GRAIL is still Jethro Burns, Mandolin Player on Mel Bay, and his recordings where he does a lot of his patented style.

It's always great to welcome more players who are interested in this style of playing. I find it helps one know where everything is on the fretboard in a new way. Plus it gives you a way to play solo, say, at the holidays when folks say..."So, you're a mandolin player, play me a tune!"

Good luck and I hope these references are helpful. Keep me posted!

Did I mention Jethro Burns?

The Jethro book is a lifelong reference, everything from a gorgeous America The Beautiful arrangement to Jethro's Tune to (you name it). I have a tape of Sam Bush at a workshop many years ago. Someone calls out "Jethro!" and Sam (with a characteristic humble nod to Jethro) plays J's arrangement of Mississippi Sawyer, a c-m thing, with Sam's excellent flourishes thrown in, to boot. I just listened to Broadway again, where they trade 4s. Man, it's good.

Dave Harvey is a great chord melody player. Of course, he learned it by taking lessons from Jethro many years ago. When you get him to play it, it really is good.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

A favorite topic of mine too. Wish I could play the stuff better.

Don has a very nice and not too difficult c-m version of Autumn Leaves in a back issue of Mandolin Magazine. That makes a great diving board.

The tune that got me to thinking hey the mandolin doesn't just have to go 'pling pling' is Simon Mayor's c-m arrangement of "The Dark and Slender Boy". Not a jazz tune but very sweet. It's in his New Celtic Mandolin series as well as in that Mel Bay Mandolin Solos book (formerly called Mandolin 2000 I think).

The Jethro Books is a must have. I hope that one day they will reprint it and give it the quality typesetting it deserves. (some of tab is very small and difficult to read)

It's fun (and time consuming) to try and invent your own c-m arrangements. All you need is a good lead sheet and a chord book. I like that John Baxter chord book for that purpose because he spells the chords and you can look for the appropriate chord family that has melody note you need on the top string(s).

Anybody every try to do any Beatles tunes c-m style on solo mandolin?

There's a tab of John Reischman's "Somewhere over the Rainbow" tabbed out on Mandozine.

Don - I just re-read you post. A book/cd of your c-m arrangements would be fantastic!

p.s. saw John McGann and Sam recreate that Broadway at Mando Camp a few years back...great!

Chord solo is one of my main focuses(shameless plug: check out Just a Closer Walk With Thee on my Myspace page linked below). Like Mr. Stiernberg mentioned it helps you realize the fretboard in a whole new way. One person that hasn't been mentioned is Hamilton De Holanda. Although his playing is leaned mored towards Duo Style, his playing could also be considered chord solo.