Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to nh

I'm moving to Southern New Hampshire in a month. (Just outside the seacoast area.) Where are the bluegrass jams?

I also hope to take lessons once I get settled. I consider myself an intermediate player.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Boston Bluegrass Union has a pretty good listing of jams. #Also, look at Folkjam .

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

"Swampy"

You should make a point to visit the Acoustic Outfitters Music Shop in Stratham, NH....just a few miles southwest of Portsmouth. It is an excellent store, specializing in bulegrass instruments. The owner, Gary Filgate, is a fine multi-instrumentalist. He would be happy to fill you in on the all of the local BG activities.

www.aomusicshop.com

Bob

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on my fellow mando-enthusiasts.

Swampy...when you go the Acoustis Outfitters see if they can hook you up with Hazel and Mac McGee, they are great people and live in that area and have their own band but love to jam with other pickers...Tell them Willie asked about them....

Will do Willie, thanks for the info.

and when you get to the west side (the other southern n,h,), you are welcome to contact me - there's usually a bunch of music here and in s.e vt.

rasa
    Jonathan Reinhardt

Nate--huh? Already? you haven't been back long enough yet...
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

If you get toward the Vt side of NH and need some great food and a great Acoustic store as well. I highly recommend Delrossi's resturant in Dublin, NH. Tell Elaine I said Hello. http://www.delrossi.com/

Ron Haas

Thanks guys. I'll be in touch once we get settled.

I'm in Kittery, so I'm alwys up for something... where exactly in NH are you moving?

Kittery? I stopped in there one day at a seafood place and got the best Haddock fish dinner I have ever eaten, and they pile it on...Great place right across from a museum/sports store where a fellow was carving totem poles and things using a chain saw....Nice country even though I am a rebel....Willie (no argument needed from you yankees)

Hey Willie, that seafood place is the Weathervane, across the road from the Kittery Trading Post. #The KTP is very well known around New England for its large selection of hunting & fishing gear - they used to sell T-shirts that said "L.L. Who?" in reference to the well-known catalog outfit in Freeport, Maine.

There's an even better seafood place in Kittery at the Maine end of the Rt. 1-A bridge from downtown Portsmouth NH. #It's named 'Warren's'. #I found out in conversation with Roland White one time that he & Clarence used to fish from that bridge when their dad worked at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard for a few years.

the best fish and chips i've had is in wells at jake's. also, in portsmouth at the portsmouth brewery...........we've enough beer and fish to last you a lifetime. lots of music everywhere and our own david surette placed 4th at the ossipee valley festival in the flatpicking contest this past weekend. david runs the march mandolin madness festival every year in concord, nh. not to be missed this year as rumor has it than none other than john mcgann will be back at the festival in 2008!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

There's only one place to eat lobster in the area, Chauncey's Creek. It's a little hard to find, but its somewhere out past kittery Point I think.

I used to live in NH a few years back, but that was before my mandolin days. I was pretty much a rocker and guitar player then. I look forward to getting reaquainted to the area and finding some good jams.

unfortunately chauncey creek (which is off rte 103) has become quite the tourist attraction. the parking is non-existant and the lines are LONG.

welcome back to the area!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The Chaucey Creek Lobster Pier is pretty cool - "lobster in the rough" is what that kind of place is called - picnic tables near the water, bring your own wine, salad, bread etc., pick out a lobster and they cook it for you. #I live just up the hill and it's been very popular for the 35 years I've been around here. #Best to avoid weekend suppertimes though, due to the aforementioned minimal parking.

Mandatory mandolin content: #you'll be only 15 miles from Acoustic Outfitters just outside Exeter NH.

If you get up to the central lakes region stop by the Vintage Fret Shop.
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by (Mandobar @ July 30 2007, 11:15)
    unfortunately chauncey creek (which is off rte 103) has become quite the tourist attraction. #the parking is non-existant and the lines are LONG.

welcome back to the area!
    Isn't that how it is with everything, Oh well. Anyway, good to hear there is a lot of mandolin interest in the area. I look forward to coming back.

lots of good places to eat though and york beach has a great blues venue. try the stone church in newmarket also. lots of bluegrass and folk acts going through there and the food is GREAT!

just saw that the Greencards will be there August 12th!

we should have a little mando pick-nic at Fort Foster this summer!

I agree - but let's wait until the mosquitoes die back a bit - I've never seen them as bad as this year.

I once lived in Goffstown, NH and boy were the mosquitos big.

Not to mention those black flies...WOW..Do they hurt when they bite....Willie

MAINE STATE FLOWER - satellite dish
    MAINE STATE BIRD - the Mosquito