Thread: Mid-missouri/big muddy

I recently bought a used Mid-Mo M-0 from a cafe member but he couldn't find the tailpiece cover. #I kind of like having one on so I contacted Mike Dulak from Mid-Missouri (now Big Muddy) to see if he might be able to help me out.

Mike said no problem, he'd send one out to me right away. #About a week later it arrived as promised - no charge.

Now I'm sure a tailpiece cover isn't worth all that much but I was really impressed that he'd go out of his way to do that for me when I wasn't even the original owner. #I'm sure there are other companies or luthiers who would do that as well but since Mike helped me out, I thought I'd let others know about it.

By the way, it's a great little mandolin.

Yeah, he is a good guy, a good builder and a good musician to boot. I hope he gets all his business issues behind him.

Yep. That sounds like Mike. That's a BIG reason I own two Mid-mo's and one Big Muddy.

If he's this good to folk who buy used, think about how much care he must put into the mandolins he builds for sale!

Yes indeed, Mike is a Great guy. I have an M2 that I bought while I was in New Mexico on business. A year or so later I decided it was time to change strings which I did but it sounded HORRIBLE!
    I live in central Illinois but was driving to Rogers Arkansas on business after I had changed strings on the M2. I contacted Mike to see if I could "drop by" and could he undo what I had just done. He said "sure come on over". I did and he did and while he was at it he cleaned up the mando and put on new strings. Not only did he not take my money but he threw in a spare set of strings.

Care to guess where I bought my M15 mandola with ebony at?
    Mike will have my business the next time I add to my stable of Big Muddy instruments.
    Kevin Vail

His service is nothing short of fabulous. Re-braced a sagging top out of warranty with no charge and even paid the return shipping. Really outstanding.
    Steve

I too echo the praises of Mike. I was a MM dealer for several years and never had any issues that Mike didn't take care of ASTAT. He's a super guy to deal with. Ken Cartwright
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

Blog Entries

Ken, forgive me, ASTAT? I couldn't find that in a Google or Wiki search of acronyms...

To the Original Post, in my time reading this message board, I can't recall a negative thing said about Mike's service to his customers new and used.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I contacted him once to ask about a case for the OM I built... I wasn't even a customer of his, but he was very responsive and helpful. Good rep... well earned.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

the guy even built me a LEFTY and had it to me in about 3 weeks.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Mike went above and beyond to help me on my first mandolin purchase a few weeks ago, and I'll be ordering another from him shortly. Great guy who will take care of ya!!!!

Chris

Jamie, Actually I should have said STAT. Not ASTAT.... I meant it from the following explanation of medical terms. As it turns out "stat" stands for a number of things, ranging from the obvious (statistics) to the not so obvious (Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique). However, the very first entry provided the answer to your question. "Stat" in medical parlance is actually not an acronym; it's short for statim, the Latin word for immediately. Sorry for the corn-fusion. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by (DryBones @ July 10 2007, 11:53)
    the guy even built me a LEFTY and had it to me in about 3 weeks.
    Ditto, and it was one of the last instruments he built under the Mid-Mo label. A collectible! And, like everybody else has said, his "customer service" to me was outstanding.
    "I'm your density."

Ken, I couldn't find the meaning of corn-fusion. Could you please define that as well?

I like Mike D. too. Great customer service and tasty mandos.

I took my Collings MT in today to have a James tailpiece installed, and I might have to wait a week to get it back, but no worries...I have my trusty MidMo to keep me company. #I've been playing it all evening to get re-acquainted.

What a sweet little mando !!

Dan
    Dan

I gotta stand up for Mike, too. When I was getting my little business going, he sent me a Mandolin on spec. He said "I've been screwed by bigger guys than you!"
    I've used the line - and the sense of trust - ever since.
    Thanks Mike.
    Michael MacLeod, Calgary
    http://www.acousticguitar.net

Here's another lefty singing Mike's praises. At my request for "something different," he combed through stacks of old wood and found some beautiful birdseye maple gunstock material a law enforcement officer had traded to him years ago. #He built me a wonderful, wide-necked M2 from it and delivered it a week earlier than estimated--and, as usual, with several extra bridges at no extra charge.

I agreed with his initial assessment that it was "a little tight," but this instrument's voice suddenly opened up a few months ago, and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

We drove across Missouri on the day he closed as Mid-Mo and he waited us to show up. He had made 2 for us to try out, but that rosewood M-4 came home with me.

I also got to see a Franklin guitar being built in the back room. A luthier's woodshop is a special place.

Thanks.
    Larry