Thread: Semi gloss lacquer

I have built a F4 Octave Mandolin for someone and I am down to the finish on it. #PS: Looks real good!
    Anyway the customer wants a semi gloss finish, he said "QUOTE" I want the wood to look shiny, not to look like glass on top of wood."
    QUESTION: When using a semi gloss lacquer,do you put it on, level it and buff it out the same way I would using a high gloss lacquer? #Just wondering if buffing it hard will turn it from semi glos to high gloss??
    Any tips here would be appreciated, Thanks Yonkle
    PS: Finish photos of the new Octave will be posted soon, she's a beauty! Jd

Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Blog Entries

I basically know nothing, but I did discuss this with some luthir's once. I think the only difference between high gloss and semi-gloss is the grade of wool(?) you use to sand it with. The finer the grade, the higher the gloss.

I'm pretty sure gloss is applied and is basically a satin finish, and is then rubbed or sanded to resemble a certain degree of shininess.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Different products. You can tone down the gloss of a gloss lacquer, but you can also purchase semi-gloss lacquer that has additives in it to tone down the gloss. That is why semi-gloss finishes are not as hard as gloss finishes, the additives make it a bit easier to scratch.
    Bill Snyder

Hmmm... Not terribly experienced here either, so I'll point to the salt cellar. --->

Semi-gloss lacquer has additives, IIRC, that prevent it from being as reflective without, and tends to gloss up in areas that get much rubbing while playing. Gloss lacquer is glossy at all stages, but a proper polishing schedule will take it from at worst a slightly textured gloss to a high degree of surface flatness, and as a result, highest reflectivity. You can always make it matte by abrasion, but getting it perfectly even overall might be a little tricky.

If the customer doesn't want the finish to look like it's on top of the wood, I think that suggests a thinner finish rather than any particular gloss level. I'd check that out with them before starting the final application.

I add flattener to my "regular" lacquer if I want a semi gloss or matte finish. I spray as usual, but I don't buff the finish. The last coats have to be free from dust, runs, orange peel, or anything else, because I can't sand out the defects and buff. You'll probably have to find a knowledgeable sales person at a good paint store to get flattener for lacquer.

Check with Homestead Finishing for contents of Semi and Low gloss lacquer...G