Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dance tonight

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ July 02 2007, 19:09)
    Quote Originally Posted by
    I still hate the song, after reading six threads about it.
    Just curious, nothing more, but why would you open and read six threads about a song you hate?
    I wish I knew. I plan to bring it up with my therapist next week. I think there is an obsessive compulsive component to it.

LOL, I hear that. There are some recurring topics on the board that are like that old saw about realizing a train wreck is about to happen: "You can't look, but you can't look away!"

It sounds to me like the correct order should be...
    Verse: G, D/G, G, D/G, C, D, G
    Chorus: Fmaj7, G, Fmaj7, D
    Bridge: C, Caug, Am, C, Caug, Am

Caug 1-2-3-4

1-2-3-4 is a Caug, but Paul is playing 1-2-3-0 (tuned down a whole step) for his C (Bb)augmented. The rest of it looks okay. What's different about this and what was already posted?
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Just found this on YouTube which should pretty well cover any more questions on this song. Now...which one of you fellas posted this?

Dance Tonight explained

Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Quote Originally Posted by (DryBones @ Sep. 01 2007, 12:37)
    Just found this on YouTube which should pretty well cover any more questions on this song. Now...which one of you fellas posted this?

Dance Tonight explained
    Except for the fact that he left a whole section out, it isn't bad. He should name the chords by their "mandolin fingering" chord names though. It just avoids confusion.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

Quote Originally Posted by (PIK @ July 09 2007, 16:39)
    It sounds to me like the correct order should be...
    Verse: G, D/G, G, D/G, C, D, G
    Chorus: Fmaj7, G, Fmaj7, D
    Bridge: C, Caug, Am, C, Caug, Am

Caug 1-2-3-4
    I'm very surpised that someone did not say something about that posted chord progression before PIK here did. #It was obviously not the right order.

No matter what key you play it in, the progression is:

I, V, I, V, IV, V, I

or:

1 5 1 5 4 5 1

Even if you don't know their names or how they're made, you can hear that the first and the third are the same... the second and the fourth are the same, and the fifth one is different... etc.

If people are playing the earlier posted chords (in that order) in a jam, they ought to hear that it's not right.
    Mando Lynn (aka: Tillmanator)

I think I posted the order in which the chords appear for the first time, but I noticed later that the posting of the song chord changes was incorrect. I figured whoever wanted to play it would sound it out. That was almost two months ago so on internet forums that is prehistoric.

Mando Johnny, you should have Scott correct the changes on the PDF of the song. Tillmanator is right.

[QUOTE]Except for the fact that he left a whole section out, it isn't bad. He should name the chords by their "mandolin fingering" chord names though. It just avoids confusion.

There is a second video with the missing part on youtube also. I don't have the link handy but click on his profile, its there...
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Quote Originally Posted by
    I think I posted the order in which the chords appear for the first time, but I noticed later that the posting of the song chord changes was incorrect. I figured whoever wanted to play it would sound it out. That was almost two months ago so on internet forums that is prehistoric. - jbmando
    Well, to set the record straight, I first posted the order of the chords on May 23. JB, you then came along and rightly corrected some of the individual chords. On one of those chords, I made a correction your correction and you agreed. However, I don't remember, nor can I find going through the original threads, anyone correcting the chord order. I didn't create the files that are now posted until I felt we had consensus and the posting reflects that consensus. However, that is water under the bridge. Hearing it with fresh ears today, I agree that Mando Lynn is right.
    I was also able to figure out why I went wrong to begin with. I figured out the tune off of that early promotional video for the tune, "Paul McCartney Plays Dance Tonight" where he is just standing in a room, facing the camera. That was before the official video or the CD was released. On it, he just plays a short intro, a verse, the refrain and another verse. For the intro only, he does play I, V, IV, I, then he goes into the progression shown above. I see that in later videos and recordings, he has changed and plays the intro like the verse. I generalized that early intro to be the regular progression. The other issue is that I, V, IV, I, IV, V, I does work for the melody. IMHO, it actually works better. I think it sounds more interesting than what McCartney actually plays and if I perform the tune, I will probably continue to play it that way.

I will get around to changing the file at some point. Right now, I have some seriously bad stuff going on in my life and honestly, it's just not something I care enough about. If someone has a real jones to do it sooner than I will get to it, send me a PM with an email address and I will send you the Word files and you can play with it and contact Scott.

BTW, the JB, for someone who says he hates this tune, you seem to take a strong continuing interest in it. FWIW, I have come to partially agree with your feeling on it. While I found the tune a lot of fun for a while, it has had no staying power for me at all. It probably is "insipid."

No I just click on every thread I've responded in when it makes its way back up to the top, just to see if I have been replied to.

OK, I have finally gotten around to starting to re-do these files. I agree with the basic corrected chord progression. There is one thing in the correction above I am pretty sure I don't agree with, though. The correction shows:
    Chorus: Fmaj7, G, Fmaj7, D.

I don't think he goes to a D at the end of that. I think it should be:
    Chorus: Fmaj7, G, Fmaj7, G

That is the way we had it before. Look at any of the YouTube videos where you can see Paul's fingering and I think you will agree. If we can come to agreement on this point, I will finish correcting the files and send them to Scott to post.

Nope. It is definitely D [C] at the end of the chorus. If you go to YouTube and watch the "official video" - the one with the delivery man - it is clear that the chord is D[C] and you can definitely hear the change from that chord back to the verse, which we all agree starts on a G [F].

I don't care if it is insipid, jejune, puerile, simplistic, or dumb. A lot of bluegrass, pop, and rock music I like very much fits into one or more of those categories.

"Dance Tonight" is a catchy little ditty with a good groove. I give it a 82 on the Dick-Clark scale.

I'm not sure how much it's doing for the mandolin world one way or the other, though. The other morning I heard a Bay Area DJ describe the song as "Paul McCartney stumming on his ukulele."
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by (Paul Kotapish @ Sep. 24 2007, 15:10)
    I don't care if it is insipid, jejune, puerile, simplistic, or dumb. A lot of bluegrass, pop, and rock music I like very much fits into one or more of those categories.

"Dance Tonight" is a catchy little ditty with a good groove. I give it a 82 on the Dick-Clark scale.

I'm not sure how much it's doing for the mandolin world one way or the other, though. The other morning I heard a Bay Area DJ describe the song as "Paul McCartney strumming on his ukulele."
    Agree that a lot of bluegrass, pop and rock can be described using those adjectives. The difference is I don't like them either. I don't give any dispensation because a song features a mandolin. Lousy music on a mandolin is still lousy music.

you guys are funny. A few years ago I remember a thread about how the beatles never used the mandolin. Now here is the mandolin and the posts are flying. Myself I was brought to the mandolin by Blind Melon's first album. Now years later I've learned a great deal more. So I'm never one to knock a song that brings people to the mandolin. Heck I still get a request now and again for Loosing My Religion by R.E.M. also kind of a dumb tune but hey it brings people in.
    On a side issue Paul says the mandolin helped him recover from his divorice. Well that is treu for me also so more kuudos to paul. Perhaps he will give us something more on the mandolin one day.

OK, I'll go with the D at the end of the chorus. One thing I've realized through all of this is that Sir Paul himself has not always played it consistently every time and I think in some of these videos he is lip-syncing and "finger-syncing" to a pre-recorded track and not always finger-syncing accurately, but I guess that is not uncommon. I'll get updated sheets to Scott soon.

Default Re: Dance tonight

The video for this tune just popped up on my Facebook feed. Been way over a decade since I thought about the song. What a fun video & song. I think I'll add it to my secular Christmas list.

Also have to say I like the sound of, what I am assuming was, that flat top oval hole mandolin.

Default Re: Dance tonight

For what McCartney is aiming to achieve here, this song is actually pretty good.

He plays in F major but to get the same G-D formation strum feeling on the mandolin it’s better to play it in Gmajor.

OR in order to play along with Paul, you can take any really cheap rough sounding mandolin and tune the instrument down by a note (two frets) -and with a growl, it really begins to sound like something!
    Then play the song as though it’s in G major, ie. G, D,G, D, C slide the C double stop up two frets to make a D. And on...
    Enjoy!