Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass Nobody Ever Heard Of...

Hey All,

OK so we've discussed the queen of bluegrass (we all know who the king is) and I still find it interesting that no woman stood as tall in bluegrass as Patsy Cline did in country - back then. We've talked about brother acts an now we're onto father/son acts - whats next? I'm afraid to guess given the reputation apple-at-cha has as revealed in the movie Deliverance... (I'm just joshin ya'll ya know!) So how about something new!

One of the things I really enjoyed doin back when mp3 dot com was functional was crusin (listenin to) music by people I never heard of. I confess I found some singers an groups who were easily as good as anybody who ever went to Nashville - one guy in particular I recall sang George Jones as good as or better than the possum himself. Another group had a fiddle an a harmonica that would take each other's place midway through instrumental breaks - absolutely awesome. Another had a suite of songs about Walmart (like bury me in the walmart parkin lot) - really really good. He looked kinda like Junior Sample from Hee Haw but sang way better.

Anyway I'll get to the point. Who are some of your favorite nobody ever heard of bluegrass bands? I confess that I don't have any but I was at` cd baby dot com an heard Jimmy Bowen an Santa Fe - awesome - a great high lonesome sound - also Hit an Run Bluegrass outta Colorado an Yee Haw outta South Carolina - all have sample sound bits at cd baby dot com. I'll likely buy one of these groups Cds to go with Jesse Ballantyne (old style cowboy music like Ian Tyson for those who are familiar) that I'll order tomorrow. Anyway I know there are a slew of great artists, musicians an groups out there an I'd like to give a listen to as many as I reasonably can. If they jump out at me I'll likely buy.

Anyway I know the folks on the cafe listen to many musicians an so I'd like to know who they are. If they have a place where one can hear a soundbite or two - all the better. Please indicate.

Thanks an Take Care! -Ed-

PS the Walmart songs were by Bobby J. Dowdy - his name just came to me.

Okay, I'll bite!
    The Cluster Pluckers & Bluegrass Idles. Both of these groups were featured on a 1991 Rebel recording "The All Night Gang". It also featured The New Kentucky Colonels (w/Roland White) and The Sidemen.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Sierra Hull! Though she's gaining recognition as we speak, on the Great High Mountain Tour with Alison Krauss and others.

I also like The Martin Family, from Missouri. I saw those local bluegrassers play at SPBGMA Midwest Awards and they were really good.
    Mandolin, Violin, Banjo, Dobro, and Flute player
    Alison Krauss Fan!
    Bluegrass Rules!

I don't know if no one has ever heard of them, but the Bluegrass Diamonds are as good a band as is out there, period. Every time I hear them on the radio I stop dead in my tracks. They are French Canadian and sing some tunes in French! Should be much more famous soon.

http://www.bluegrassdiamonds.com/

Aaron Garrett

Shadow Ridge from the Knoxville, TN area. The lead singer C.F. Bailey (i think) sings a high tenor as good as anyone and the mandolin player, Donnie Rollins, can pick the splinters out of it. #The ba#&o and bass players are excellent too but i dont know their names. #They'll be at WDVX Camperfest next weekend along with a lot of other great bands.

I couple of acts worth mentioning from my area:

Bull Harmon and Bull's Eye: This is an up and coming act in the business, who have gotten some notable awards and nominations. Both Allison Krauss and Rhonda Vincent have made guest appearances on thier CDs. Bull himself is as good a guitar flatpicker as I have ever seen. Thier mando player, Cecil Tinon, has a style all his own. It is bluegrass with a hint of a jazz flavor. He is definitely a world class player. I heard he has quit the band, but he is on the CDs they have out now.

Jim and Kim Lansford: This couple explores the grey area between old-time and bluegrass. It's like they have one foot in each. Jim is a great fiddler, mando player, guitar flatpicker and banjo player. They sing some of the best two part harmonies I have heard. I really recommend thier latest CD, "Call Your Dogs."

I gotta go with the 'Just Bluegrass Band' out of Ohio. Up and coming, got a couple hot songs out. Thier song, 'Three Little Things' is out on 2 comp discs and is doin' great on the independant radio shows. Good instrumentalists, good vocals, they're pretty hot!

Here are some of my favorite "lesser known" bands, of various levels of "obscurity"

Hit & Run Bluegrass - Colorado based
    King Wilkie - very up and coming
    Gibson Brothers
    David Via and Corn Tornado
    Bluegrass Gospel Project (Taylor Armerding on Mando)
    Blue Moon Rising

Bluegrass Works

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Another vote for King Wilkie.....mark my words, you will be hearing from these boys!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

my 2 cents.....Not a big King Wilkie fan.......Blue Moon Rising is a really good band.
    Yeah, Keep calling me Hillbilly........

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Cool, I'll check 'em out!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Perfect Strangers. It seems they don't get out much as a band, but they're all absolute blugrass allstars: two veterans of Monroe bands Bob Black & Forrest Rose, a national flatpick champ and great songwriter Peter McLaughlin, a terrific songwriter/singer/fiddle player Chris Brashear, and outstanding musician/mando genius Jody Stecher.
    Less talk, more pick.

Lewis....my old banjo player in Durango just sent me 3 CDs of Hit and Run Bluegrass (2 live). Gotta second that nomination.

Ken...I used to know Forrest Rose when he was with the Mid-Missouri Hellband back in college. He can really thump that bass.

A few bands that I don't hear mentioned alot on this site are:

Bluegrass 101
    Wildfire
    Old School Freight Train
    She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

"Perfect Strangers. It seems they don't get out much as a band, but they're all absolute blugrass allstars: two veterans of Monroe bands Bob Black & Forrest Rose, a national flatpick champ and great songwriter Peter McLaughlin, a terrific songwriter/singer/fiddle player Chris Brashear, and outstanding musician/mando genius Jody Stecher."

I've never heard the band but have heard them all individually. That must be a great band!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Just saw King Wilkie at WDVX Camperfest and they have a new fan here...straight up bluegrass and their new album is great. They do killin' songs too which is always a plus

Quote Originally Posted by (petimar @ May 25 2004, 10:22)
    "Perfect Strangers. It seems they don't get out much as a band, but they're all absolute blugrass allstars: two veterans of Monroe bands Bob Black & Forrest Rose, a national flatpick champ and great songwriter Peter McLaughlin, a terrific songwriter/singer/fiddle player Chris Brashear, and outstanding musician/mando genius Jody Stecher."

I've never heard the band but have heard them all individually. #That must be a great band!!
    They're a terrific band, and they put on a great show. I highly recommend seeing them if you get the chance. Here's their info:
    http://www.chrisbrashear.com/perfectstrangers.html

Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

My vote is for "The Hickory Project". Not traditional Bluegrass, but they can hang with the best of them. The mandolin player, Anthony Hannigan won the Winfield contest in 92 (I believe). He is, without a doubt the best unknown mandolin player in the industry today. They also throw one hell of a festival (Music in the Mountain) in August. Check out their website at
    www.dint.com/THP/thp.htm

Blog Entries

Hey Double Stop
    Thanks for the great compliments. We sure have fun playing our music thats for sure. I am very lucky to go to the places we have been and meet all kinds of great people.
    The Winfield thing was in 99..no worries!
    Hope to see you soon
    take care
    Anthony
    www.hickoryproject.com
    ps..some bands we have met along the way that are fantastic are Daybreak, Volunteer Bluegrass Band, Stable Horse, Bluegrass Brothers, meridian, Almost Acoustic, Bob paisley and his son are incredible Bluegrass, New England Bluegrass Band..there is so many!!!

For largely unknown, great hard-core bluegrass, I recommend Buzz Busby.

For "soft-core" bluegrass, that is music that has one foot in old-time and one foot in bluegrass, I nominate Jim and Kim Lansford. Jim switches off on each tune, doing great breaks alternatively on fiddle, mando, guitar and banjo and the duo does some of the best two part harmony singing you will ever hear.

Anyone ever heard of Mark Holt & Jam Packed?
    How about Gillis Brothers, Hard drivin' Bluegrass Band?
    Cleanliness is next to Dawgliness....Dawg,2008 Blueberry Band Workshop.

Hey All,

Here's one that's kinda different. I'll let the promo speak for itself.

"BLUEGRASS BASTARDS
    "LET THE COCAINE BE"

The sleeve notes say it all: "The Bluegrass Bastards! are a loose collection of musicians gathered in bars and clubs in and around Hollywood. One night while hosting a bluegrass jam at Club Fais Do Do, up on stage jumps a harmonica player, an electric guitar and a drummer! ... And the name came to me ... Bastards!"

The name is bound to upset the sensitivities of the purists, but what fun! This is an irreverant, joyous banjo and fiddle led, get-up-and-dance collection of bluegrass songs, from the opening number, 'Let the Cocaine Be' where the entire club plus dog is obviously helping out on backing vocals to the final rousing 'Muleskinner Blues.' Honorary #######, Ramsay Midwood guests on 'Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms.' 'Be gentle with us," said Ramsay, when I bought my copy, knowing that I was going to write up the Bastards! (sorry, Ramsay, I don't do 'gentle' but don't worry, I love it).

Don't think that this album is a joke, the odd thing about it is that while the purist may think it's irreverant, the fact of the matter is that this album is closer to the true spirit of "bluegrass" than many a serious attempt to convey the joyous qualities of the music. Grab one, tell them I told you to treat yourself to a big smile."

Pretty darn good music! Kinda a mix of bluegrass an honkytonk country, an heck I don't know what all but enjoyable. Outta Los Angeles - who'd a thunk it. An the mando playin isn't bad at all!

Take Care! -Ed-

A great old band most people today have never heard of was the Bray Brothers AKA Bluegrass Gentleman. They have two CD releases on Rounder. Nate Bray was to my ears the best "lesser known" mando player in the history of the music.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

The New Vinton County Frogwhomper's Marching, Singing, Strumming, and Plucking Society. They were a 70s Blue / New Grass band. I've got their album called "We Always Wanted to be a Big Name Band." One of my favorites.
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

A band not at all popular on the west coast who are fantastic (IMHO) is The Kruger Brothers. I love going back to Wilkes County to hear this wonderful trio.

Tim Saxton
    "Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."

I purchased a new CD in June by a girl named Alicia Nugent hope i spelled it right?? If this girl does not stray to close to the country sound she will be big in the Bluegrass family!! Stay Bluegrass Honey and you will be in demand!!