Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock on the mandolin

I'm a rhythm guitar player (mostly rock) that just picked up the mandolin. So far I've been trying to learn the mandlolin parts of rock songs like Losing My Religion and Maggie May. Sympathy by the Goo Goo Dolls is on my list to learn.

Since I need to learn the chords, I'm also playing blues chord progressions in 'A' (coming soon, .... 'E'). I'm sure I'll try out Hey Joe soon.

Blog Entries

I enjoy just playing along with the CD. Take REM for example, doesn't matter which tune, and play it over and over with mandolin in hand.

Pretty soon I am right there in the middle of it, playing melody, harmony, or just some neat effects. Lots of fun.

The last step is to turn off the CD and just play what you figured out. It sometimes sounds pretty good.

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

For you rhythm guitarists, "Chordie" is a great web site. You can find a song and transpose it or show mandolin chords with a couple of mouse clicks.

I think it's supposed to sound something like this. #
    Don't know who that is, but his mandolin sits in the mix just perfectly, afaic.

Quote Originally Posted by (Santiago @ July 01 2007, 15:22)
    Anyone know where I can get lead sheets for Bohemian Rhapsody? I used to know Brian May -- one of the most down-to-earth rock stars (if that's not a contradiction in terms) you'll ever come across. I love what he does with that piece, mixing a classical lead, with slow bends and runs.
    In a slight derail, I demand that you tell us when and how you knew Brian May. He's one of my musical idols, and since I've been throwing a lot of Queen into my mandolin (electric) practice regimen lately, I'd love to hear a little bit about the guy.
    Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I play mando in a trio with resonator and 6-string gtrs. Besides trad and folk we do:
    Tuesday's Gone (Skynrd)
    I Know You Rider (Dead)
    You Can't Always Get What You Want (Stones)
    Wasted Days and Wasted Nights (Freddie Fender)
    Going to California (Zeppelin)
    Hide Your Love (Beatles)
    Norwegian Wood (Beatles)
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)

I like the challenge of adapting songs to mand that were written in a different style or w/o mando. It's surprising how well it fits in--but I guess I'm biased. Volume is a challenge when both gtr and resonator are playing. I guess I need a "resonator killer!"
    Living’ in the Mitten

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Wild Horses" by the Stones both sound great on mandolin. I don't have the picking skill to pull it off, but I'd love to hear someone play "Where The Streets Have No Name" by U2.

"Norwegian Wood" was the first song I ever learned on the mandolin. Christmas Day 2005.
    Larry

So my question is, if you played "Where the Streets Have no Name" on Mando how would you do it? Would you play chords, single notes,a combo? I am interetsed in how people adapt rock songs to mandolin. Do you play chords, just strumming away, or do you you play melody lines? Do you change in the middle? For instance, my rock repertoire is pretty limited, but I will give a couple of examples
    1) Casey Jones (Greatful Dead) I play the melody, mimicing the vocal phrases while my friend plays rhythm. No vocals, strictly instrumental
    2) Let my Love Open the Door (Pete Townsend) We both strum full on, with a break for each during the bridge. He sings vocals
    3) Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) I play the intro hook and just vamp little frills and filler harmony lines while he sings and plays rhythm.
    4) Uncle John's Band (Greatful Dead)I play intro and we both play rhythm while he sings.
    5) Distantly in Love (Jimmy Buffett)The only song we regulrly play that actually has mando in it. I pretty much mimic the mando while he playes and sings. For those of you who haven't heard that means cross-picking the chords and tremelo through the refrain and the bridge.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Quote Originally Posted by (dwc @ July 26 2007, 15:30)
    So my question is, if you played "Where the Streets Have no Name" on Mando how would you do it? Would you play chords, single notes,a combo? I am interetsed in how people adapt rock songs to mandolin. Do you play chords, just strumming away, or do you you play melody lines? Do you change in the middle?
    I'm a U2 nut, so I've tried this a few times. It sort of works, and sort of doesn't.

Since the opening riff is a simple arpeggiated D chord (albeit w/guitar voicing), it's not all that hard to get it, particularly because the delay helps mask the finger movement.

The chords aren't much of an issue for most U2 on the mandolin. I wish I had my instrument sitting here to consult, but from what I remember, I've usually just comped the chords to something close. Since Edge typically favors chords using the root and 5th, and tends to avoid the 3rd (particularly for a lot of those JT tunes), you can get them out of a mandolin without much trouble.

Personally, I try not to hybridize guitar-to-mandolin parts with the vocals/melody. I figure if I'm going to do it, I'm going to get as close as I can to the guitar part. It sometimes means that some guitar parts are just untouchable on mandolin, but it's surprising how much you can adapt. Since I'm trying very hard to make the electric mandolin my main instrument, but still play in a contemporary rock setting instead of bluegrass/country, I've figured out a lot of tricks that seem to work. I'm sure they're nothing new, but it's still fun to come up with a new way to play a song.

When I play a lot with my brothers, they're always after me to play funk and various 80s tunes, and I often find myself getting a bit frustrated with them. All they have to do is play the parts that were written. I usually don't know the fingerings for the song even on guitar, so not only do I have to figure out the tunes' fingerings for mandolin, but I have to substitute chords and phrases on the fly. It's a great exercise, but it can get tiresome.

Try some Steely Dan sometime, it's surprisingly easy on the mandolin. And although Queen isn't the hardest thing on the guitar, a lot of it is even easier on the mandolin, although you have to try some fairly innovative fingerings to pull it off. "Tie Your Mother Down" is great fun if you have a 5-string. I play the opening riff something like this (thanks, TablEdit!)

Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)