Thread: Bush Revamped

My '01 Sam Bush has returned from a two week visit to Gibson Family Arts. #It was under the care of Big Joe and David Harvey. #The large frets were replaced with small frets, bridge was recut for better transmission, several top nicks were removed and a professional setup performed. Big Joe and David had both warned me prior to sending it back that it was a very good sounding mandolin and that the improvements helped it tremendously. #They were so right! It now looks like a new instrument, but has that broken in feeling. #What a good investment that trip turned out to be.#David Harvey called me on a couple of ocassions during the actual operation with questions/opinions concerning the rebuild(very professional touch). #If you have a Bush model and don't like the large frets, I'd highly recommend a conversation with Big Joe. Many thanks to Joe and David.

Hey Mike! Thanks for the kind words. When I played it before shipping I was instantly jealous. It is one killer of a mandolin and one you can be very proud of!!! Many happy years of picking to you, my friend.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Oh Joe, I am going to be in town next weekend on the 30th and then again on the 6th to play at the Ryman and I am prewarning you and Charlie that I will be stopping to see you guys one day while I am there and let you take a little peep at my Bush model (By the way, the varnish is curing nicely and sounding better every time I pick it up!). You guys better be there too because I know that you all would really like to hide from me! I also expect a free Distressed Master Model! Does that work for you guys? I really do look forward to meeting you guys and thanking you in person for the greatest mando!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

I think I've got a funeral that day . We will be happy to see you. We will be happy to tweak your mando for you. As for the distressed, that might be a bit more difficult...unless we drop yours while you are there .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I believe I will pass on the distressing of mine, but thanks for the offer!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Blog Entries

Mike--

You make me jealous talking about my old mandolin that way! #It was a very good Bush--when I traded my '27 F4 to Tony Williamson for it, he said as much. #Every once and awhile I miss it, but I am really smitten with the Duff. #I find it a lot more versatile for the styles I play (tone reminds me at times of an old '14 F2 I owned--all depends on how I attack it). #Glad we each walked away with winners. #I can guarantee you that the Duff has been played a lot--sounds like the Bush is going to get the same.

Jim Richter

A picture to show what I traded that fine sounding Bush for:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dufffront.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	2429  

Jim: #Thanks for the Duff photo--bet you make it sound great. #Your old Bush was a very good sounding mandolin before David Harvey(Gibson)worked his magic on it. #I sent it to Gibson because as much as I liked the neck, I couldn't deal with the big frets. #The setup performed by David(I think the refitting of the bidge mostly)moved a fine mandolin to a higher level. #I'd recommend Gibson to anyone looking to get the maximum from their instrument. #I wouldn't have thought the Bush could get any better--it did! #Regards, Mike