Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good cheap littler guitar for old-time

ApK;

Cheap is relative for each individual. New production acoustic guitars can go as high as $26,000 for a top of the line Benedetto jazz guitar. Special edition and custom made guitars can go even higher and famous model used guitars, like a pre-war D-45, can get in the hundreds of thousands. So based on that scale, anything under $1,000 could be seen as cheap, but of course if $1,000 is hard to come by for someone, $1,000 would be expensive for them.

You are right, any acoustic guitar can fit in old-time. But the guitars that seem to be preferred my many people in old-time have a clear, projective bass and mids that are not "boomy." Overall, they have what I would call a "drier" tone, meaning not a lot of overtones. The effect is a tone on the "boom chuck" open bass/rhythm chords that can be heard clearly though the other instruments, but is still "sparse" so it does not overpower the fiddle. The 12-fret, smaller bodied, "parlor" guitars are popular for this.

Your $29 guitar should do well in that setting, but I assure you, a Martin 000 or equivalent will do better. It's all in what you want for what you can afford.

Another vote for the Seagull Grand. I paid about $350 brand new and it's been a really nice guitar...especially for the price.
    Steve

I never thought they would allow this much "guit talk" here on the MANDO cafe...or that I would care to read it!

But now I too am interested in a guit for oldtime back-up, etc. There is lots of info to digest for a newbie like me. Can someone summarize the differences between these:

Martin 00, 000, 15, 12 versus 14 fret, slot-head.

Also, the (tonal) differences you might expect with all mahogany, mahogany back/sides, rosewood back/sides, or maple.

Whew, that's a lot of stuff!

Thanks in advance,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (mingusb1 @ July 17 2007, 11:27)
    Can someone summarize the differences between these:

Martin 00, 000, 15, 12 versus 14 fret, slot-head. #
    Designations such as 00 and 000 refer to the size of the guitar's sound box. In their standard series, Martin uses the shorter 24.9 in scale length for these guitars. In their 15 and 16 series, they use the more conventional scale length (25.4 IIRC). The standard series uses the conventional dovetail neck joint and the 15/16 series uses the mortise and tenon neck joint along with a hybrid bracing. This fully explained on Martin's web page. Most (all) 14 fret guitars (irrespective of series) have a typical body size. If you get a 12 fret guitar, the body size (whether OO, OOO or D) is 2 frets longer, which adds to the volume of the sound box. This affects the sound, but don't ask me to describe it - not that good with words. . . .

Usually, the slot-heads are used on the 12 fret instruments. I'd say always, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

I love my 000-15s. The 15 series is typically all one wood type. Conventionally, they are mahogany, but more recently Martin has used Sapele for their 15 series guitars. Don't know much about Sapele, but it does have somewhat of a different look (i.e., the striping of the wood is more pronounced). I think that there are some very close similarities between the 15 and 16 series guitars, but the 16 series come with a spruce top and often with a gloss finish. The 15's are matt finish all around.

You can no longer get a 000-16s from Martin, unless you go through their custom shop (i.e., more $$$).

I'm describing the usual production. You will see custom versions of all of these guitars and it'll get confusing if folks tell of their customs (interesting though. . .)

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by (Bramble @ June 14 2007, 22:12)
    You might also look into the Gibson LG-0 - it was the bottom line, entry level, all mahogany guitar of the late 50's/60's, I believe. #I'm not sure what they go for now, but it's always been an affordable and underrated little guitar.
    about 600 in decent shape. #At least around the OKC area...
    That'd probably be my choice.

I played a very nice sounding Blueridge guitar over the weekend. I have forgotten the model number, but it's a 00-sized, 12-fret with a 1-3/4" neck width. Spruce top. Mahogany B/S all solid woods.

The store wanted $749, which I thought was a bit high. It sure sounded nice and played nice. I think it was my favorite Blueridge (I'm typically not a big fan of their guitars).

I have a Gibson LG1; it wasn't as "purty" as the other new ones I played in the shop, but the size was right and the #sound...absolutely incredible.

Dena

Is this an LG0 or LG1?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1

Z
    Member since 2003!

This new Blueridge parlor is surprisingly non-ugly and they reportedly sound good:

http://www.themusicemporium.com/catalog....d=25189

A friend of mind was very impressed by the new Morgan Monroe "Creekside" guitars -- they do look nice!

John

Doh! That's the one I played. Mahogany B/S it is ... I'll go edit/correct my post above.