Thread: Need advice on purchase of aria two-point

I'm on the verge of giving in to MAS and acquiring an Aria Two-Point. #I have a couple of Arias to choose between and I'm wondering if any Cafe members have experience with the tones and sounds and general quality of two similar looking but possibly different ones. #The first is an older Japanese Aria Two-Point, probably from the early 80's, in beautiful and superb condition. #The asking price is close to $400. #The second is a Korean-made Aria model - my guess is it may come from the 90's though I'm not sure - and this particular mando is for sale for a significantly lower price....a little under $200. #I haven't been able to play either one yet unfortunately so must make a long-distance purchase decision without test-playing. #Both sellers have sent me excellent and detailed photos. #The Japanese Aria is in a walnut finish; the Korean one in a reddish/yellowish Sunburst. #In terms of looks and aesthetics, the Japanese Aria is clearly a more beautiful and polished instrument. #But my big question is - in terms of tone and playability....will the extra $200 for the Japanese model...be worth it?

I'll be playing a little bluegrass but mostly various forms of weird ethnic music - ranging from Greek and Russian...to Scottish, Irish and Celtic.

My current mandolin is a Rover RM-75 "F" model - which was tweaked by a luthier friend who installed a special one-piece violin style bridge, and 'set it up' for (as far as I can tell) near perfect intonation and exceptional playability. #I'm assuming that, whichever Aria I buy, I will probably wind up taking it to my luthier friend and having him do a little tweaking - but I'm curious which instrument will have more playability and long-term potential.

A good friend of mine has a custom-made Two-Point A style, made years ago by a builder in Chicago (whose name alas I forget) - which has one of the stronger and louder tones I've ever heard in a mando. #Loud is good in my book; some years ago I owned a very pretty 1917 Gibson model "A" which was distressingly soft and, even after some tweaking, never quite got to either the level of strength (volume) or the ease of playability of my Rover (I know that may be sacriligious, to say that a Gibson doesn't play or sound as well as a Pac-Rim...but for my purposes at least, my old Gibson "A" never did....even though it had a beautiful ring to it....and a fine 'sustain'. #The sustain on the Rover isn't quite as strong...but in the two years I've had it since buying it from a fellow Cafe member, it's improved...and gotten richer and richer.)

I know questions like this are subjective. #But....any and all opinions appreciated.

gracias!

#-Miguel
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    http://migueltejadaflores.wordpress.com/

I have to declare an interest: I am currently selling a Korean Aria two-point, AM-300, on Ebay UK (here). #It plays like butter -- as I say in the auction, it's the most playable mandolin I've ever owned or played. #Just very comfortable. #I bought it for much the same stuff as you, "weird ethnic", in my case Irish/Scottish, plus German, Italian, Greek and Russian music. #It works well enough for those styles. #The reason I'm selling is that shortly after I bought the Aria, I chanced across a very good deal on a 1922 Gibson A-jr. #I have recently accumulated so many mandolins that it's time for a bit of a cull. #The Aria has much better playability than the A-jr, and they both have that typical oval hole tone, but of course the Aria doesn't have the vintage mojo. #In other words, I'm going the opposite way from you, although unlike your 1917 Gibson A, my A-jr is a notably loud instrument.

Tone is always subjective, and notoriously difficult to describe in words. #Recordings don't necessarily give an accurate impression either, but help a lot. #So, here is an MP3 of a Carolan tune played on my Aria that I recorded for the Ebay auction:

Miss McDermott (Princess Royal)

Martin

I am a real nut for two-points, and really enjoy my Aria M-300. #I don't know the particulars of a Korean one, but my Japanese model has a solid spruce top, a solid maple back, and matching maple sides. #No laminated material at all. #It sounds great, plays smoothly, and those two points look cool. #I like it so much, I took it off beater status.

I have no knowledge of the Korean Aria, but if price means anything, I'd venture to say that it was not made with the same high quality material. #Almost surely it has a laminated top.

Martin, you learn something new every day. #I didn't know Aria made an oval-hole two-point. #I've only seen f-holes. #Yours looks great. #Best luck with the auction.

Disfrute, Miguel,

Brian

Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns