Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are the 10 best rock era albums?

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by
    What the heck was going on in the '60s, anyway?
    A rhetorical question...

(IMO) There was a big confluence of conditions to spawn the "perfect storm" which all of which fed and heightend each other in an intensifying feedback loop.

1. Reintroduction to mainstream American ears via the Brit bands (Yarbirds, Animals, Mayall, Stones, etc), though not exclusively, of the strongest and rawer black American repertoire (Muddy, Wolf, Hooker, etc.) Goodbye Perry Como!

2. There was still viable local and regional radio, playing and creating local and regional artists/stars. #

3. The draft - the chance of getting impressed into the military and being shipped off as cannon fodder made a lot of younger minds think about stuff they wouldn't have questioned.

4. Drugs that just didn't make you think stupid like booze did, or become a needle junkie , but made you think weird. #"Wait a sec...this stuff they're telling me really doesn't add up!" #And, drugs that kept girls from getting pregnant.

5. The opening up of the FM airwaves and the suits not really knowing what to do with it or it's potential. So, it was turned over to the DJs who had a few golden years of free-form underground radio to play whatever they wanted to, before it turned into some playlist format.

6. Record labels still being run by people from the "music biz" (A&R guys, etc) who actually knew someting about music. As #opposed to accountants and lawyers and marketing/advertising types calling the artistic shots.

7. Political and police repression - nothing like a police baton whacking you or someone you knew to make you go over to one side or the other. Ditto for drug busts as as a way to "get" folks who didn't voice the #conservative line.

8. Folkies, acoustic blues pickers, protest singers, beat poets etc. from the late 50s or early 60's, getting turned on (or getting really zoned out), and/or po-ed, and then plugging in, bringing a different influences into the rock and roll stew.

9. POLARIZATION among numerous fronts. And a lot of this was reflected in the music of the day, or what bands decided that they would play/do. There was too much other stuff going on which kept music from being only or primarily a "commodity".

Blog Entries

I wasn't alive during the time, but I'd have to say it's amazing to see some of these lists without at least one Dylan albumn. It's expecially amazing when the lists begin with or have multiple Beatles recordings. It's no mistake that the Beatles changed their entire approach when they heard Dylan's "Bringin' It All Back Home," as did most popular musicians at the time. Furthermore, I can't say I've ever heard a more impressive song than "Desolation Row," and I'm not someone to go around choosing favorites.

Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band celebrated it's 40th anniversary last weekend (released June 1, 1967).

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

If you weren't alive at the time, it's really hard to understand how pervasive their music was. There was a (thankfully short) period of time when few non-British songs were selling. There was a label in the U.S. call Guest Star Records, which sold albums with Beatle Songs and one single by a "guest star" in a vane attempt to get people to list to something else. It was like Dead Heads who for a time only listened to the Grateful Dead, only more widespread if you could believe it. You can hear in songs like Rocky Raccoon, however, that the Beatles themselves were listening to Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by (Santiago @ June 04 2007, 08:08)
    You can hear in songs like Rocky Raccoon, however, that the Beatles themselves were listening to Dylan.
    I think it's even earlier than that song. #The album Revolver was pretty heavily influenced by Dylan.

2015 Chevy Silverado

Dylan,The Beatles and The Stones provide a soundtrack to educate us and inspire.They introduced me to blues (The Stones),Classical (The Beatles) and Folk and Old Time (Dylan).These led me to road of many others great artists of the era.The films of the time played a key roll too! Bonnie and Clyde turned me on to Bluegrass.I am sure there are currrent influrences for the newer generatio but I was spoiled with the richness of my genertaion which gave me a roadmap that I still follow.

beatles-abbey road
    beach boys- pet sounds
    the g.dead -american beauty/working mans (i agree should be
    1 album
    joe jackson- look sharp
    b. dylan- desire
    t.heads- fear of music
    p.floyd - dark side of the moon
    b. springsteen - born to run (yeah, i know it got played out
    but there was a reason....
    j. tull- aqualung
    r. stones- exile on main st.
    j. taylor- sweet baby james
    v. morrison - moondance (ditto what i said for bruce- though
    astral weeks is a personal fav- i think this one is really his most shining moment of creativity and commercial success)
    clash- london calling
    b. holly - the chirpin crickets (i'm not jokin folks- one of
    the true early geniuses- and songs that continue
    to be covered today).
    blind faith- blind faith (had to include a winwood and a clapton)
    j. hendrix- are you experienced
    led zep- physical grafitti
    allmans- live from the fillmore

the list could go on ...these are the ones off the top of my head- left out stuff that was too folkie , jazzy or plain ole blues as we were talkin rock.

can't believe i left out - tommy by the who (a perfect album)

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Little Feat, so #I'll add

Little Feat
    Sailing Shoes
    Feats Don't Fail Me Now
    Dixie Chicken
    The Last Record Album
    Time Loves A Hero

from the Lowell George era. #June 29 will be the 18th anniversary of his passing. #
    Clark Beavans

forgot little feat-man!
    also forgot neil young, csn (or any combo thereof), bowie, and so many others...
    this is impossible unless you do it like the crucian and even then bound to leave something out

Actually, what I learned most from Dylan was the importance of lyrics.

I think that's what the Beatles learned too!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

"And what songs do you play on mando now..."

Okay, I'll admit to being on a big Neil Young kick, since I'm most of the way through Shakey, his biography. And even though it was only recently released, it's hard not to like Neil and Crazy Horse, Fillmore East, 1970. Epic.

And hadn't heard it for a while, though the song appears on a few albums, Fillmore East included: Wonderin'. That's what I'm learning on my mando, and I've got a new-to-me old Gibson A that rings out like a charm for that strumming of the chords.

And I think I should plug in my mando (I can't now), if only to play Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown. And for something completely different, go for the acoustic/folkie Neil one year later, with the brand-y new Massey Hall release, from 1971. Plenty to play along with there.

I've been playing around with Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" today and Kansas' "Carry On My Wayward Son." Both fun.

FWIW, I think Terry Kath's guitar solo on 25 or 6 to 4 ranks as one of the best solos of all time.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Tone Monster @ June 04 2007, 10:52)
    Dylan,The Beatles and #The Stones provide a soundtrack to educate us and inspire.They introduced me to blues (The Stones),Classical (The Beatles) and Folk and Old Time (Dylan).These led me to road of many others great artists of the era.The films of the time played a key roll too! Bonnie and Clyde turned me on to Bluegrass.I am sure there are currrent influrences for the newer generatio but I was spoiled with the richness of my genertaion which gave me a roadmap that I still follow.
    As far as the current generation goes, I guess I'm in it. I just turned 30 this month, so I'm perhaps at least one generation removed. Still, I can say that there have been no Dylan's, no Beatles, no Stones in my time. I think there are a few reasons for this.

Mostly, the mega-monster music industry was in its infancy back then. Albert Grossman and the Colonel and others were the tycoons. It seems to me that sensational artists were marketed back then, and what was marketable was still being defined, so there was an emphasis on experimenting with talent. Today, it's more of a visual feast, like something that will only look good on TV. There is a definite formula for what sells, and the target seems to be young teens. Something interesting about Dylan, the Beatles, and the Stones is that they were all super-talented at what they were doing, and they also looked good on TV (even wirey little Dylan. Lennon once said that he was so small in person, but on stage he looked huge).

As far as today's popular musicians go, Beck comes to mind as being incredibly talented in his arena. Some of the old war horses are hanging around, like Dylan, for example. However, it's tough finding young, ground-breaking talent. Bands like Wilco, Old Crow Medicine Show, Yonder Mountain String Band, etc., are very talented, but they don't have that huge revolutionary appeal like Dylan, the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, Cream, etc. They are filling a niche, not creating any niches. Some might argue that the Avett Brothers are filling a niche, and I'd agree, but they are limited in that screaming and anxiety will only go so far.

I honestly believe that today's exploding talents include people like Chris Thile, who has maanged to establish a pop presence. Even my wife, who is not a big fan of bluegrass, likes listening to Chris Thile. There's another guy out there who has made it into the pop mainstream - Robert Randolph I think - who is pretty good too. John Mayer isn't so bad. Dave Mathews has some amazing stage moments. These, to me, are all people who are integrated into the pop mainstream and are winning the marketing battles, but are also offering a high level of artistry.

We also have to keep in mind the different definitions of pop music. I the 60s, it seems like pop music suggested the possibility of art, at least in a limited sense, at most in the form of the giants of the time. Today, pop music suggests Lindsay Lohan, Taylor Hicks, Brittany Spears, etc. These are cartoon characters invented for public consumption. That's why they explode, like in Brittany's case.

So, here I am discussing Brittany Spears on the Mandolin Cafe! I apologize....

Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Yeah, I don't listen to too much rock music anymore. #I sorta checked out after the Pearl Jam, Nirvana, grunge thing. #Every now and then I tune into the local rock stations here in Seattle, but what I mostly hear is stuff from 10 years ago.

Now what was the premise of this thread? #Was it the 10 favorite classic rock recordings that we like to play on mandolin? #Honestly I can't think of too many. There was another thread about playing Yes music or progressive rock on mandolin and I thought about a song called Here He Comes by Brian Eno on Before And After Science. #So I dug up the CD and lo and behold it works pretty well on mandolin. #It's in the key of D and has almost an old-time feel when played on the mando. #I have always thought it would sound good on banjo.

My band plays With A Little Help From My Friends in a bluegrass style and it seems we'll almost always pull out a Creedence tune for a wedding or party gig.

2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by (ratherbpickin @ June 05 2007, 09:43)
    So, here I am discussing Brittany Spears on the Mandolin Cafe! I apologize....
    Remember we had Bobby Sherman,Terri Jacks,Frankie Orlando and Dawn,Bobby Goldsboro and the The Partrige Family in the 60's.

Does anybody remember McArthur Park and what it was about,some kinda cake thing

Someone left the cake out in the rain
    And I don't think that I can take it
    'Cause it took so long to bake it
    And I'll never have that recipe again.

(scary that I know that)

Let's not forget The Monkees!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by (mandopete @ June 05 2007, 12:32)
    Someone left the cake out in the rain
    And I don't think that I can take it
    'Cause it took so long to bake it
    And I'll never have that recipe again.

(scary that I know that)
    Oh nooooooooooooooooo

Actually the Monkees had a couple of pretty solid songs, even though they were "bubblegum music". #Imagine if the recurring guitar hooks in Pleasant Valley Sunday or Last Train To Clarksville were played in the style of Tony Rice.

With A Little Help From My Friends has to be one of my all time favorite Beatles songs. #Paul McCartney's bass line still blows my skirt up. Don't get me started on the Beatles. # I think their music will be around long after we're all gone.

I never understood the whole MacArthur Park thing - but in high school our jazz band played it and it was a favorite (I played guitar in the rhythm section).

I think the Avett Brothers have a little more going for them than screaming and anxiety. #I hear pleasant harmonies and significant melodic content. #Plus, they write a lot of songs about pretty girls.
    Clark Beavans

I was doing some thinking about this and some years ago I made a similar list as some of these recordings I had on vinyl and I wanted purchase them in CD format. #It's hard to get down to 10, but it's a fun exercise.

I guess I started listening to rock (as a musician) in 6th grade when I started playing guitar up until I got into bluegrass. #Here's my list in (my) chronolgical order...

1) The Beatles - Abbey Road
    2) Ten Years After - Undead
    3) The Allman Brothers - Live At The Fillmore
    4) The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
    5) Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
    6) Brian Eno - Before And After Science
    7) Elvis Costello & The Attactions - Armed Forces
    8) Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
    9) XTC - Drums And Wires
    10) Pearl Jam - Ten

2015 Chevy Silverado

I once met Jimmy Web who wrote MacArthur Park. Nice guy. Neil Diamond wrote a number of hit songs for the Monkeys, but I once heard a known musician say that Neil had one good song and he wrote it for a number of bands. I really liked some of the songs he wrote for himself, though some of his rhyms were embarassing. "You are the sun, I am the moon. You are the words I am the tune... left out June and spoon. ARGHHH. It is amazing that during this same period some real works of art snuck through to the commercial charts. I think indie labels are still the best hope for music.

The original post didn't say that the albums all had to be from the 60's and 70's. #Some of the most influential rock albums of all time has been omitted.

VAN HALEN - Van Halen........... reinvented rock guitar and defined the shape of rock guitar for the next 20 years.

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION- Guns and Roses ............. tell me the opening riff to 'Welcome to the Jungle" doesn't make the house explode every time it hits the air!

NEVERMIND- Nirvana................ Launched the 'Grunge Era'.

NOT OF THIS EARTH- Joe Satriani........ possibly the most talented guitarist ever. #He expanded the limits of what people thought was possible.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE- Rage Against the Machine ........ nobody ever mixed rock and rap like this before.

LONDON CALLING- The Clash.......... amazing.

PRETTY HATE MACHINE- Nine Inch Nails........... Spearheaded the industrial movemet. #(And it was cool for me to see someone from Mercer PA hit it big).

WAR- U2........ utterly stunning composition.

2112- Rush.......... #Greatest power trio in the history of rock destroys every musical boundry and creates new ones of their own.

KILL EM ALL- Metallica......... rewrote the Heavy Metal Bible.

FIGHT FOR YOUR MIND- #Ben Harper.......... Incredibley powerful, almost a spiritual experience the fist time I heard this album. #

There were so many incredible albums in the 80's and 90's that set new limits and redefined the entire genre of Rock n Roll.

Yeah, that's the challenge, trying to limit this to 10 recordings. I took the approach of the 10 recordings that most influenced me during the time I was actively listening to rock. That's still a pretty hard thing to do and one that I suspect would change from time to time.
    2015 Chevy Silverado