Thread: Poor Egidio, poor all of us!

Scott's mainpage pointer to an article in the local news revives an old thread. It takes it one step further with the BMI guy saying that you couldn't let people play there that said they were doing PD's and originals because "sooner or later they would play something copyrighted." What a pantload. JMark you out there? Doesn't this seem like another infringement on us while the powers that be take away general protections in the name of "de-regulation" and "free market" only to claim domain over it? Ay Carumba!

The way those BMI guys are, I bet that they'd claim that when Egidio was learning to play he was learning by playing copyrighted material, therefore they have to pay the BMI guys. Otherwise, how would he have learned to play... Aye... Carumba...
    Mandofiddle

what really stinks is the way their 'estimation of airplay and use' works in regards to actually paying artists the royalties they deserve.

I am affiliated with BMI as a writer/publisher and have had good airplay across the country for the niche I'm a part of and my music used for other things but will never see a royalty check because of how this estimated system works. Unless you are played in steady rotation every day on particular programs you get very little if anything at all...

I often wonder where all this money goes...

oh well...I've given up and will simply spend more time on the mando!

LOL mandofiddle, ain't it the truth.....

I was wondering how life in the trenches was going mood. The folks I know, one which had a song on a major BG band's album, don't make a cent. It is frustrating and seemingly pointless. There are fewer and fewer places to play and because competition has gotten totally out of hand there is NO money offered now. Are they going to start going after the house concerts now? You know it would never dawn on this greedy sub human slime that they are killing the music industry. They complain that cd sales are down, maybe the public don't like their stuff. Last nite we went to see Troy and sat through a bunch of satellite radio pap. A new song by Lenny Kravitz and some other touted band. Talk about bland , there was not even instrumental breaks in either one! and just the same few lines of lyrics repeated over and over ad nauseam.
    Makes me wonder what's going to happen to the festivals? Are we going to have to create our own Music Underground Railroad where folks play in secret hoping the music nazi's don't catch them?