Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reischman's setup?

Any know what John Reischman's uses: strings, pick, mic, etc.?
    Thanks.

I will being taking a class from him next week and will I ask. I got to his Loar for ten minutes last Monday night WOWEEEE

Blog Entries

He uses a rounded shell pick, and alternates with a heavy rounded tortis pick with the speed bevels reduced down to fatten the tone--at least a year ago those were his picks of choice. Strings looked to be phosphor bronze J-74 or 75s. I look forward to more specifics from Rick.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

why would anyone wanna copy or even care about HIM? hehehe...

I need to dig out my copy of "North of the Border", one of my all time fav mandolin related CD's!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

J75.

I've seen his band a few times and they've had different microphones each time.
    Less talk, more pick.

anybody know about his action?

Felt perfect on my humble finger tips.

Blog Entries

Agreed, its fairly low. (I'm totally jealous you got to pick the Loar Rick--he had his DMM in Calgary)

He does something fairly unique with the pick--his leading edge is the reverse of a normal right hander--he'd need a lefty wegen, for instance--beause his thumb is hyperextended. He also holds the pick fairly firmly. Can't complain about the results.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Quote Originally Posted by (jasona @ May 10 2007, 21:03)
    (I'm totally jealous you got to pick the Loar Rick--he had his DMM in Calgary)
    A month ago at my lesson he let me play the DMM and I recorded it. He then played my MF 5 and and I recorded it and then he played his and me mine. It was great way to compare the Colling and Gibson sound in a first class way.Now when I use this as referance tape I know I have a real cool keeper.He has also said to me that he really likes my MF5 and thinks it a very good sounding and well built mandolin.On a final note the filmclass I teach here in Vancouver has just shot a music video for the release of John and the Jaybirds ne CD release "Stella Jays" which is a really great new release.

so Rick are you the new "tone monster" yet? Looking forward to the video.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandolooter @ May 11 2007, 00:11)
    so Rick are you the new "tone monster" yet?

He plays with D'Addario J-75 strings. His action is medium low, forgot the exact height, but I know that Bill Bussman "Old Wave Mandolins" knows. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

I suspect that a the key to a good bit of John's distinctive sound is found in Jasona's post about how he holds his pick, that and his choice of notes.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (64lusso @ May 11 2007, 08:40)
    I suspect that a the key to a good bit of John's distinctive sound is found in Jasona's post about how he holds his pick, that and his choice of notes.
    Yes, I think he said his thumb is double-jointed so the pick actually attacks the strings at a reverse angle. I took a lesson with him a couple of years ago and we talked about the pick grip and angle quite a bit.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

[QUOTE]
    Yes, I think he said his thumb is double-jointed so the pick actually attacks the strings at a reverse angle.

Ok...whew...and I thought it was my poor technique but its just my thumb isnt double jointed! I don't feel near as bad now!

Rick...glad you got the humor in my post. I've had a few 'go south" as they say when I was just trying to be funny. I hate that...

Blog Entries

Hey! I must be a tone monster too--everytime I strike a note people run screaming!

Well, here come the neighbours now!

Jason Anderson

Sounds like I'm in need of some sort of thumb modification surgery. I guess no price is too small... Or maybe I just need to learn how to play the mandolin upside down, without actually turning it upside down?

Seriously though, his tone is just so powerful and substantial and smooth, it knocks me out every time I hear it.

Is there an online source for shell picks? I'd like to try some out.

Jasona says: He does something fairly unique with the pick--his leading edge is the reverse of a normal right hander--he'd need a lefty wegen, for instance--beause his thumb is hyperextended. He also holds the pick fairly firmly. Can't complain about the results.
    And mandopete: Yes, I think he said his thumb is double-jointed so the pick actually attacks the strings at a reverse angle. I took a lesson with him a couple of years ago and we talked about the pick grip and angle quite a bit.

I googled up some pictures of how he holds his pick. He seems to be holding the pick between a stretched thumb and his index finger, overstretched at the last joint.

Very interesting.

I can see how holding it that way will indeed ask for a reverse bevel (and a firm grip, since the pick is between the fleshy parts of the thumb and index finger). It makes me wonder about the "loose fist" technique as the best or only way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John plays a Loar with a radiused and scooped out fingerboard. He does use a natural shell pick, and talks a lot about the correct angle to strike the strings for the best tone. So does Mike Marshall, by the way. Here's a link to the archive.
    http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?182

And a link to a photo of my Michael Lewis F5 (inspired by the Loar). It's a fabulous mandolin, and turns heads and ears everywhere. It has also the radius board. but wider than Johns'. Also CF embedded in the neck, and slightly thinner body. Only Mr Lewis can tell the real story of the distressed varnish finish. I add my own distressing on a daily basis! It does look a lot like the Loar except for the pickgaurd. I prefer the wider neck to JR's. And funny (odd) my thumbs bend backwards to 90 degrees. Doesn't everyone?
    I think Lewis also makes perhaps the most beautiful modern day archtops anywhere. He never posts his photos so I'll spread the word. Thanks Michael!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....37;st=0

Guitar photo
    http://www.fineguitarconsultants.com/255a.htm

david blair

Default Re: Reischman's setup?

Just thought I'd bring this subject up again. Anyone know John's setup as far as action goes? I don't think that was ever answered. I know he says medium-low, but I was wondering if anyone had some actual numbers. Mainly bridge height @ the 12th fret. Also, did he have his newer master model setup to the same specs as his loar? As far as the single-footed bridge base and the radius fingerboard goes.

Re; the Jaybirds mics. Last Sept. in Edmonton, the band was experimenting with DPA's with IEMs.

When I saw them last summer he was using a DI and stepping up to the mic for a little more volume on his breaks.

I went to a workshop with John this month at the RiverCity Bluegrass Fesitval in Portland Oregon. His answers to questions about action were not quantitative, but he said he had the action on his Loar a little on the higher side to enable harder, bluegrass-style playing. He said he had his Heiden set up much lower for quieter melody playing.

I got to play his Loar last year at the festival, at the end of a private lesson I had arranged. What a treat.

I love John's tone.

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Yeah, during a workshop, he handed me his Loar to play. I'm left handed so I told him I'd need to saw off the scroll and restring it. Didn't have my sawsall with me though.