Thread: Whitney warner  collection no.  7

I've loaded a digital copy of the first and second mandolin and the guitar parts for most of the Whitney Warner Mandolin and Guitar Collection No. 7.

http://academic.luther.edu/~goodinjo/mandolinPD3.htm

My apologies for the missing pieces. I didn't check carefully before I started scanning and then I decided to go ahead and work with what I had anyway. The machine I used added insult to injury by forcing me to split the mandolin 1 part into two pieces, even though it isn't very big.

As usual please let me know if some of the links don't work. Most importantly, enjoy some of these quaint old pieces if you can.

John G.

John:
    I have #7 in first mandolin book prob complete. What are you missing?

I have quite a few of these types of folios (W-W, Vandersloot, Remick and the like). Let me know what other partials you have and maybe we can put complete sets together.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim,

I'll give you page numbers since I don't have the table of contents. The titles listed on the cover don't appear in that order in the folio. I'm missing pages 1-2,5-8,11-12,21-22,27-28. Also missing "When Jack Comes Sailing Home" which may have been page 31 or 31-32. I guess it might have been easier to list the pages that I do have!

I won't bother to work on any other collections as incomplete as this one in the future.

Any pages you have would be most welcome.

If I had the time and/or energy I'd see about setting up some sort of wiki for this stuff. Then several people could contribute scans of their public domain materials along with contents notes and engage in erudite discussion of the composers, arrangers, publishers and performers of the period.

John G.

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Hi John G.

I combined the two parts for first mandolin, ran the PDF optimiser and got the file down to 3 MB. If you get the other pages I can add those in their proper places and send it to you if you like.

This reminds me, didn't I offer to do something like this with another collection of yours? My memory is a little shot these days.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

John:
    I will check my copy and see what I can do. Might be later in the week tho.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks John and Jim! I appreciate your offers and there's no hurry here at my end. This collection has waited 100 years to be resurrected and can certainly wait a little longer.

John G.

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (jgoodin @ May 12 2007, 15:24)
    Thanks John and Jim! I appreciate your offers and there's no hurry here at my end. This collection has waited 100 years to be resurrected and can certainly wait a little longer.

John G.
    John G.-
    Just let me know when the other pages are available and I'll be happy to put them in order.

I've also got some PDFs of old music and two books of William C. Stahl's mandolin method (published in 1902) if you (or anyone else reading this) would like to have them. I don't have a website or server space anywhere so I can't make them available online, but if anyone wants to post them I've got them.

It is great to see all of these old mandolin resources becoming available electronically.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Thanks to the generosity (and generosity is the hallmark of this discussion group is it not?) of Jim Garber I now possess a clean copy of the 1st mandolin part of WW7. I have just replaced the incomplete copy that I originally posted. The 2nd mando and guitar parts are still incomplete but this is an improvement.

Thanks Jim!

John G.

Who knows? In my stacks of music I may even have those other missing parts. I will check when I can get the backhoe into my studio.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Default Re: Whitney warner  collection no.  7

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I've loaded a digital copy of the first and second mandolin and the guitar parts for most of the Whitney Warner Mandolin and Guitar Collection No. 7.

http://academic.luther.edu/~goodinjo/mandolinPD3.htm

My apologies for the missing pieces. I didn't check carefully before I started scanning and then I decided to go ahead and work with what I had anyway. The machine I used added insult to injury by forcing me to split the mandolin 1 part into two pieces, even though it isn't very big.

As usual please let me know if some of the links don't work. Most importantly, enjoy some of these quaint old pieces if you can.

John G.
    This thread has been around along time but I was wondering if the above collection has been reposted somewhere as the link provided no longer works.

I'm looking for arrangements written for a mandolin orchestra; preferably with parts for 2 mandolins, a mandola, mandocello, and guitar.

Thanks, in advance.
    ...Tom
    Plays: Gibson A40 ('56), Breedlove American KF ('11), Weber Yellowstone Mandola ('12)
    Says: So many instruments out there, and so little time!

Thanks very much for catching this long-lost bad link. I was just complaining today about people who change their websites and don't update their links. Karma, I guess.

The proper link is now: http://www.mandotopia.com/mandolinPD3.htm

Some of the other collections on that page might be of interest to you also, but none of them include mandocello parts and only one has a mandola part.

If you are interested in more recent mandolin orchestra compositions you might want to look at my list of original pieces at this link: http://www.mandotopia.com/mandolinorchestra.htm

Many of them are free to download (donations encouraged buy not required) and they do all include mandocello and mandola parts. Feel free to give them a try.

John G.

Speaking of "lost links", reading over this thread last night reminded me that back in 2007 the generous and knowledgeable Jim Garber offered to send me the missing pages from this collection.

I checked old emails this morning and I see that Jim sent me physical copies of what I was missing and I still didn't take, or find, the time to repair things. A couple of years later he offered again. I can only say "mea culpa."

This morning, of course, I spent a while digging around and haven't yet uncovered the fruits of Jim's generosity. If/when I do I will make the time to make this collection more complete.

My retired academic librarian persona steps up at this point to remind me that this is just the kind of thing that happens when amateurs (in the best sense; intelligent, engaged, skilled and well-meaning) wade into the swamp of digital preservation.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying though. CMSA has held several conversations on this topic and made serious attempts to get something more coherent started but it's a big challenge for a volunteer-driven non-profit organization. Project Management skills, librarian and archivist expertise, technical expertise and technology, nearly infinite patience and, yes, money will be needed.

An important, really important I think, piece of this is having people who are on top of things enough to avoid putting enormous effort and resources in re-inventing a wheel that already exists, or is nearly ready to roll.

My own hope is that this will become more possible (and cheaper) as technology continues to surprise us. In the meantime I suggest that you preserve what you have to the best of your ability. Make high quality digital images, preserve the paper if you can. Give copies to your friends. (Always, of course, respecting copyright.)

Professional librarians and archivists have been talking about the LOCKSS principle (Lots of Copies Keeps Stuff Safe) for decades now. You can learn more at Stanford University's LOCKSS Program site: https://www.lockss.org/

What can I say? It's Sunday morning so I'm rambling a bit.

Thanks again to napochan for bringing this up.