Thread: Mix a5 #10

The Mandolin Cafe (known to enable MAS) has done it to me again. I was hanging out here back in December, minding my own business, not really thinking about a new mandolin...
    BAM!
    A thread on these new carbon fiber mandos caught my eye. Hmmm... I'm a pretty traditional Bluegrass mando player... Hmmm...but these do look good...I wonder how they sound.

Anyway, I started talking to Peter Mix via e-mail and next thing I know the UPS man brings in this box.

This mandolin is truly striking when you see it in person. A gal who works in my office has a fiance who works on cars and has worked with carbon fiber. He checked it out and was impressed with how well the instrument was contructed.

I've taken it to a couple of jams this past week and was happy with how well it performs and plays. It has a surprisingly good chop - wasn't sure what to expect there - and the tone was described by others as being dry - again, a pleasant surprise. It plays well and evenly up the neck.

I could go on and on...

Peter Mix and Co. have done a really nice job on these and Peter was great to work with.

I'd post pictures but you already know what it looks like!

Kirk Miller
    Portland, OR

"I was hanging out here back in December, minding my own business, not really thinking about a new mandolin...Anyway, I started talking to Peter Mix via e-mail and next thing I know the UPS man brings in this box."

Lemme get this straight ... are you telling me that Peter Mix is Santa Claus?

Curt

Blog Entries

Santa don't get paid!

Congrat's on the new mando. Hope you love it. A perfect 10?
    Learn to play Bolero on it.

Jamie

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I am the proud owner of a MixA5 #5.

I thought I'd mention my experience with the pick-up.
    I did my first plug-in gig with the MIX the other night
    and was very happy.

I'm a long time Schertler user and fan and was using one mounted with putty on my Collings MT-2 for years. I use a very nice pre-amp. I did with my Collings too.

Acoustically the MIX does not compress when you lay into it (a feature I like alot) anyway I think this lack of compression really translates well over to the pick-up. I was very happy with the plugged in sound I was getting and I thought the MIX plugged in tone was better then my Collings plugged in tone. A little crisper and more defined. The Scherlter does a better job of hearing the mandolin then let's say a Fishman bridge pick-up. The Schertler responds well to picking dynamics. The MIX excelled in this regard.

Though it may seem a small thing the convenience (and also the stealthy look) of not having to mount the Scherter with putty was great.

The MIX is a great "gigging" mando.

I plucked a few notes on Kirk's new toy last week. I was impressed. It's a keeper. Good tone. Sounds like a real mando should. I wish he'd make a carbon fiber fiddle. Then Kirk wouldn't have to play fiddle tunes out in the rain all by himself.

Brian, in soggy Portland

Thanks Brian, I was wondering why I was out there all alone!

Kirk

"Lemme get this straight ... are you telling me that Peter Mix is Santa Claus?"

Yes Virginia...

Quote Originally Posted by (Brain @ April 16 2007, 17:23)
    ... I wish he'd make a carbon fiber fiddle. Then Kirk wouldn't have to play fiddle tunes out in the rain all by himself.

Brian, in soggy Portland
    If I am not mistaken the people that make this violin are the ones with the technical know how behind Peter Mix's creation.
    Bill Snyder

Clear Carbon [violins, violas and cellos] , is the builder I expect, Peter got a friendly Bank to help finance, and the marketing was , like, Here...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

[Sorry for the hijack] If those Luis and Clark violins compare to the Mix mando in tone and playability, I'd be somewhat tempted. Pretty pricey though. Like Kirk, I have fairly traditional tastes and wouldn't go for one as my one-and-only.

At that price (~$5K), it'd have to be my main axe. If they were a bit more affordable, I would surely get one as a travel/hazard/fly-swatter instrument. I bet most people feel the same way, even though they're great instruments.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by (mandroid @ April 16 2007, 20:34)
    Clear Carbon [violins, violas and cellos] , is the builder I expect, Peter got a friendly Bank #to help finance, #and the marketing #was , like, #Here...
    I linked to Luis and Clark because Peter Mix mentioned them in in the sixth post down on this page of the thread announcing his new mandolin.

Bill Snyder

Go for it Brian,
    then we can get after Grant to get a Carbon Fiber Guitar...
    We could play "Singin' in the Rain"...in the rain!
    Kirk