Thread: Colorado cases

I just bought a twin off the 'bay to the Larson/Stahl mandocello that I've been borrowing for the past 2+ years. It needs some work done, but in the meantime I'm shopping around for a case for it. The one I've borrowed has been using a guitar gig bag and I've gotten used to a soft case; as a viola da gamba player, I've familiar with the heavily padded cases the Colorado Case co. makes in place of a hard case and they'll make one for this off a tracing---anyone had one made for their mando? I really would prefer a soft case with straps for things like AMGusSS, etc. One reason I play 'cello now is that my back no longer takes my hauling around a string bass, if you know what I mean....
    Thanks for any case advice. Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I also know they make guitar cases....that's what gave me the idea...Any other companies for soft cases or heavily padded gig bags are cool, too. Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I had one for the Rigel mandola. You probably saw it at rehearsals. I had them make it double insulated and I thought it was the best case I ever had.
    Dave in Loveland, OH
    dvoyles276@fuse.net

My experience with Colorado Case Company has been very good, and they will bend over backwards to please. They will customize your case to any degree you desire, with pockets, closures, straps, etc.

I have had two mandolin case covers from them and would not hesitate to order another.
    As a matter of fact, I already have two large pieces of graph paper taped together to trace out the guitar case I want to order (from them) a case cover for.

I have a green cover for the Calton. Fine cover, and they customized it for me so that when the case is seated on the floor (with handle up toward ceiling), the outside pocket is face up.

I spilled a load of ketchup on it once, never went through to the case and cleaned up rill nice.

Yep, I thought these folks would be cool, just wanted to hear from other folks. I love their gamba cases. I just don't want the weight (and hardness) of a hard case. I will be looking at the thick insulated ones--any measuring hints would be welcome also. Dave, what did you find worked best for carrying it around at AMGUSS in terms of straps, pockets--any changes, suggestions? THANKS, all!