Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does gibson "master model"label mean?

Gibson seem to label many of their instruments as "master model".
    My "A5-L" and the "F-5 Distressed Master Model", tho in much different price ranges, share this label.
    Is there another label in the Gibson Bluegrass Line without this designation?

It means that when you sell your A-5 on Ebay, you can say it is a Master Model.

It is a trademark phrase that Gibson has used on the labels of many instruments over the years. Essentially it means that you own a Gibson, and not some "brand X" mandolin.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by (Givson @ Mar. 28 2007, 17:53)
    It means that when you sell your A-5 on Ebay, you can say it is a Master Model.

It is a trademark phrase that Gibson has used on the labels of many instruments over the years. Essentially it means that you own a Gibson, and not some "brand X" mandolin.
    A US Trademark (uspto.gov) search did not not find this mark registered either current or past (dead)

MM = Mo' Money

Curt

Not sure who the brain child of the now famous MM labels but since it first started under the direction of then acoustic engineer Lloyd Loar we say he's the one. It was first seen on a 1922 F5 mandolin and extended into other Master Models like the H5,L5,K5 and even Tenor Lute TL and the one and only Loar A-5.
    Gibson for the most part(some mid-20's non Loars had them) dropped the MM label when Lloyd left in late '24 and it re-emerged in the newly designed F5 of the 1971 era and still in use today. Like any top of the line style label it adds to the value when it's there.

Analogous to the "Mastertone" label Gibson put on its best banjos. Models above a certain level were called "Mastertone" or "Master Model," models below that level "Plain Ol' Ordinary" (not really).

Cf. the "Masterbilt" label Epiphone used for its best quality instruments, that Gibson has revived for its top-of-the-line Epiphone imports.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I think this could turn into a Master-(de)bate...

there are some cunning linguists here......... ok someone had to follow up the last post... haha

anyways.. i just spent an hour in the kitchen with my epiphone that i got fixed up. i totaly love that thing, its a great mandolin, may not have that woody tone, but its got some other tone to it that is nice! and it plays just as fast as any other mando ive played.
    i also realized that i actualy recorded the version on myspace blue monk on this here epiphone. i got it for free from my uncle, someone gave it to him as a gift.
    nevermind the bullocks,
    the label inside says " model: MM20

MM for master model! hahahahahaahA!
    with all the crazy expensive beauties out there, i found this amusing!

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Catchy 'blizzard-inspired' tune there John. #Keep up the good work on that MM20!

"The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

To buy a new one, you need a high credit limit on your Mastercard.

Master Model is a designation for the models introduced by Lloyd Loar. This included the F model mandolin with F holes, the mandolas and mandocellos from the same era with the same design elements, and the L5 guitar which shared the same desing elements. These were radically new designs at the time and also included such new ideas a the adjustable Truss rod, the thinner necks that were able to be used then, the raised (elevated) fingerboard, the adjustable bridge and the overall tone of the instruments. This was both radical and revolutionary at the time. The designation for these instruments was the Master Model.

The term has more to do with the shape and features of these instruments as they have progressed throughout history. The label has been used, not used, used, changed a couple times and finally where it is now. The label use is more for the designation of the instrument shape. The model name "Master Model" refers to the upper end instruments built since the turn of the century with the features of the Lloyd Loar mandolin. These are often called "MM's" and "DMM's". The presence of the label showing Master Model in type are not Master Model models These would be referred to as a variation of the F5V.

I know this is a bit confusing, but that is life in the fast lane .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ Mar. 29 2007, 10:49)
    ...The presence of the label showing Master Model in type are not Master Model models...
    That's where ya lost me...

Curt,
    I have to laugh. I confess that I read many posts
    just to see your response!
    Thanks for that!
    Laura
    "With all those curves, there have to be strings attached."
    ™ - Cool Mandolin Company

http://www.coolmandolin.com
    http://myspace.com/coolmandolin

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ Mar. 29 2007, 10:49)
    The presence of the label showing Master Model in type are not Master Model models These would be referred to as a variation of the F5V. I know this is a bit confusing, but that is life in the fast lane
    Yup!

My 'master model' just had a reduction in resale value ...

except on E-bay where those guys did not read Big Joe's posting

I know the naming of Gibson mandolins can be a bit confusing. Please understand this started LONG before I was affiliated with Gibson and my presence has not made any difference to this issue . If you look at the labels, there is a place for the model to be listed. If it is what is commonly called the Master Model, MM, DMM it will have a designation that should read F5V or DF5V or a similar designation. The Model name is that. It actually describes the mandolin. It is a Master Model in the respect that it carries the same traits started in 22 with the Loar Mandolin family instruments and the L5 Guitar (really just a big mandolin). The other designation on the label tells you what the actual model is. For example, it may have a labed that has Master Model printed on the paper and that refers to the body and its acutraments. It will then say Fern, F5G, Bush, Lawson, or F5V. The F5V and its variants refer to the fact it is an F5 with varnish. It also is called on our brochures the Master Model. It is a Master Model in both senses of the word. It is the same design as the oringinal and has the same features. In addtion, it is a Master Model model (F5V).

If your mandolin is not an F5V it is not a Master Model model. It may have Master Model on the label in type and that refers to the style and appointments to the instrument.

Now, are you more or less confused? I think the same guy came up with these designations as the guy who invented the term "military intelligence"!!! : ) .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ Mar. 30 2007, 10:07)
    ...the L5 Guitar (really just a big mandolin).
    Thanks for clearing that up, Joe. And here all this time I thought mandolins were just little guitars.

Joe says>>
    If your mandolin is not an F5V it is not a Master Model model. It may have Master Model on the label in type and that refers to the style and appointments to the instrument.

The printed label says on my A5-L (which is not an F series or a specific "F5V":

(quote label)
    Patented Mar. 30 1906 - Sept. 20 1920 - Jan. 18 1921
    THE GIBSON MASTER MODEL
    Style A5-L (handwitten) ...

From what I understand from Joe there is a production quality standard for an instrument which is produced later than the original patent dates. This is a quality control stamp. Therefore, in this vain it can include a humble "A" and a fancy "Distressed". It really has nothing to do with what the model looks like.

"THE GIBSON MASTER MODEL" is a quality control mark not a model mark.

If you are selling your instrument you can advertise it by quoting the label. This assures that you are selling a high quality Gibson and not an imitation.

So, if you're using your Master Model model just to play Gregorian Chants you'd have a modal Master Model model. . . .

Sorry, but somebody had to do it. . . .I think I'll leave now before the tomatos are thrown.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ Mar. 30 2007, 07:07)
    If your mandolin is not an F5V it is not a Master Model model.
    Would the first one have been called the "master Master Model model"?

Quote Originally Posted by (Greg H. @ Mar. 30 2007, 14:31)
    So, if you're using your Master Model model just to play Gregorian Chants you'd have a modal Master Model model. . . .
    Is this like a "Mixolydian Mode Master Model Mando" ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    Big Joe: I know the naming of Gibson mandolins can be a bit confusing. #Please understand this started LONG before I was affiliated with Gibson and my presence has not made any difference to this issue #. #If you look at the labels, there is a place for the model to be listed. #If it is what is commonly called the Master Model, MM, DMM it will have a designation that should read F5V or DF5V or a similar designation. #The Model name is that. #It actually describes the mandolin. #It is a Master Model in the respect that it carries the same traits started in 22 with the Loar Mandolin family instruments and the L5 Guitar (really just a big mandolin). #The other designation on the label tells you what the actual model is. #For example, it may have a labed that has Master Model printed on the paper and that refers to the body and its acutraments.
    Certainly it is noble of a Gibson employee to attempt to explain this enigma. #And yes, I expect that many on this message board probably realize that the "master model" designation has been overworked to ludicrous degree by the Gibson company. #

For example, my humble 2002 A9 is a "master model" according to the label. #It seems amusing to me that a company that has been around as long as Gibson can still be so naive and inconsistent in its terminology and advetising.

Why use "master model" as both an adjective for overall "build quality" as well as making it a top-of-the-line #model name? #Gibson's official website lists the "F5V" as the "Gibson F5 Master Model".

#www.Gibson.com\Products\Mandolins, Banjos, Dobros®\Gibson Original Instruments\Gibson Mandolins\F-5 master model

The confusion is well-earned in my opinion.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Where it gets confusing is if your Gibson F5 was made between 1927 and 1970 it is not a Master Model. Go figure!

Default Re: What does gibson "master model"label mean?

One semi-interesting factoid is that, back in the Loar era, Gibson used the Master Model designation for the F-5, H-5, L-5 and K-5, but also for the Tenor Lute, which was not a fancy or particularly expensive model. It DID, however, have the raised fingerboard, so perhaps that was the way the company differentiated things.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Where it gets confusing is if your Gibson F5 was made between 1927 and 1970 it is not a Master Model. Go figure!
    Can you please show me where you are getting this information? I have looked at quite a few l-5's from the early to mid 30's that have the Master Model designation. Thanks in advance.

We are talking about the labels Gibson used on the F5 model mandolin. In 1922 when the F5 was born as a new model it was called a Master Model and it said so on the serial no. label "The Gibson Master Model". That name was dropped from the next label they used around 1927 commonly known as the white oval "Guaranteed" label. No where on this label does it state the F5 is a "master model". Then after WWII came another style of white oval label and then an orange oval label, neither of which had "master model" on it.
    It was not until the redesigned F5 in late 1970 that a new beige/tan oblong label came out saying "The Gibson Master Model" again.