Thread: Vintage instruments

I just took possesion of a Martin A in koa, in great condition, from the 1920's according to the #serial #. #Two questions:
    1. #What string guages are appropriate and has anyone tried the Labella Jazzmando strings on one?
    2. Is it safe to installl a #strap button on the bottom? #Is there any trick to this or some point or place in the wood #to go after when installing one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

I use Martin strings on these 10-34. Might could go 10-36. I would not use a heavier guage than that.

These are so light I usually do not use a strap.

If you really need a strap: These use a tailpiece with three screws holding it on. I have in the past taken out the rearmost screw and replaced it with a heavier screw to hold a strap button. It usually involves drilling out the hole in the tailpiece.

You can sometimes thread a length of leather bootlace under the tailpiece and use that as your strap.

Best,
    Charles

I also use Martin lights (M400s). #They work fine.

There was already a strap button on the heel of the neck, and one using the lowest screw hole of mine (as mwhq describes above) when I bought it used. I don't use the button on the heel, but I do use the one simulating an end pin.

I feel like I just answered this question. I prefer J-74's. The Martin has a shorter scale than a Gibson, so the tension is not an issue. On an A-K particularly, they'll have a darker, more substantial sound. The J-74 gauge spread was about all there was in mandolin strings when that mandolin was new. I've been stringing most Martin A's with J-74s for years. My early 20's Style C is more lightly built than any A-K, and I use J-73s on that.

I think these mandolins hand better with a strap attached to the headstock. If you're dead set on drilling a hole in this instrument, devaluing it considerably, please make sure you have it done right. They're usually a dicey proposition, and there's hardly any safe way to do it. Here's a related nightmare story about strap button installation. I hope you'll reconsider this.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net