Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My study of the tone-gard

..Okay....in the last 3 or 4 years I have owned 3 TG's on various mandos. On each mando they have produced to very high expectations. On each of those previous mandos I have A-B'd each mando with and without. I have held the mando away from my body w/0 the TG...the sound/volume was fine. Well...I just recieved a TG from my good friend Alan Bibey...yea its go mojo...complete with his ititials. When I slapped the TG on the Buddy Davis it was the difference between night and day..on a already very good mando...all the way around...the thing just exploded off my lap. I think that the added weight and maybe the way the TG grips the mando produces the tone and volume. Like I said..I dont get the same effect just holding it away from my body. Am I the only one that thinks this?

I've heard a few luthiers say they think it stiffens the sides too.
    I'm a BIG ToneGard fan & not surprised to read your report on how
    the Davis responded with one.....it had that mojo goin' too!

I installed a tone guard on my mandolin 2 months ago and 2 weeks ago playing with a band that everone was amped except me and the banjo player I was playing through a mike I was told by the lead guitar player. ( I couldnt hear anything because of that loud mandolin ) note I played without the mike rest of the night and held my own.
    ken froman

Scotti, I have to agree that a Tone-Gard has more of an effect than just holding the mandolin away from your body. We have them on all of our mandolins, F5s, H5s, F4s, A4s and consider them essential equipment.
    Gail Hester

I've noticed that too but couldn't really explain it. It's much better than just holding the mandolin away.

My guard is going on 5 years old and still going strong.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Blog Entries

I'll remain highly skeptical of this claim until it can be demonstrated it affects the tone beyond eliminating the back dampening.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Wanna be manodlin player

I'm sold on them too. Could the effect be a better right arm position and gives you the ability to have a more forceful downstroke? Just a thought. PS, I don't go on stage without one on my mandolin.
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

I love em...they seemed to help me milk all the tone from my mandos that was available.

Paul

The topic states: "My study of the tone-gard"
    This is not a study at all - merely a subjuctive evaluation. A study might include a number of instruments played for a panel of knowledgeable musicians with no knowledge of whether the tone-gard was in use or not.
    As for "mojo" ... the less said, the better. I'd rather rely on practice and experience than superstition.

Curt

Great! One more thing to buy! This mandolin thing is getting expensive.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Quote Originally Posted by (mythicfish @ Mar. 13 2007, 00:21)
    The topic states: "My study of the tone-gard"
    This is not a study at all - merely a subjuctive evaluation. A study might include a number of instruments played for a panel of knowledgeable musicians with no knowledge of whether the tone-gard was in use or not.
    As for "mojo" ... the less said, the better. I'd rather rely on practice and experience than superstition.

Curt
    Hey, Mythic - Before you curtly rip on another person's point of view, you might want to hit Spellcheck first. #it's SUBJECTIVE.

Keep that Mojo working !!

Daniel
    Dan

With the Tone-gard I could stop sweating the Varnish on the back of the A4, literally.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

It sounds like they need to change the name to the "Tone Enhancer".
    Good Pickin', Steve

Thumbs up

I agree the TG is a great and almost essential piece of mandolin "gotta have accessories." However if one can learn to play with the mandolin held in the proper position he can save $65.00. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I like the tone-gard too, except for the fact that it makes my clothes dirty.
    I don't know if it is the tone-gard itself or the black rubber things, but if I wear light colored jeans some black color wears off the tone-gard and on to my jeans.
    Mandojan

It's nice to be important,
    but it's more important to be nice

" However if one can learn to play with the mandolin held in the proper position he can save $65.00. Lp "

Additionally: If you haven't (yet) learned to produce good tone without one, it's doubtful that you'll be able to produce
    good tone with one. The use of a Tone-Gard will reward good technique as well as emphasize poor technique by making
    things a little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Curt

I think that even when you might percieve that you're holding the instrument clear of your body you still have to anchor somewhere and any contact near the recurve is going to be detrimental.

Well Curt...it was a study done by myself...in my own little house..on my own little mandos...I studied the effects of the TG with and without...call it what you want. Ive been playing the mando for 30 yrs..I know how to pull tone out of a fence post. The TG enhances the tone.

Well Scotti ... I'm not about to get into a p*ssing match about whether your mandolin can beat up my mandolin.
    I've only been playing mandolin for 27 years but I still know the difference between a study and personal opinion ...
    just like I know the difference between 3/4 and 6/8.
    You want an apology? I'm sorry for informing you against your will.

Curt

I've had my tone guard for about 2 years now and have only used it a few times. I haven't taken the time to get use to it. Gonna have to though.
    Danny

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Scotti - thanks for the info. #I have a tone gard that I used to use on my Flatiron and Smart mandos, but I stopped using it when I switched to the Collings. #Lately I have been thinking about going back to using it. #I haven't heard about the thing with the sides of the mandolin...interesting.

And to those here on this thread that comment proper technique for holding the mandolin will produce the same results, I say phooey! That has absolutely nothing to do with it. #It's a matter of holding the instrument in a way that is comfortable. #For me, that's got the back of mandolin up against my belly. #If the tone gard helps, I'll use it!

FWIW - I've got a capo too!

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

" For me, that's got the back of mandolin up against my belly. If the tone gard helps, I'll use it!"

I know what you mean ... my arms get "shorter" every year.

Curt

The more I hear about this thing from you guys, the more interested I become. For the last fourteen months I have had a red spruce (Adi top) BRW that I have been whippin like a mule to get it to reach it's potential. Does anyone think a TG would give this instrument a little more mature sound?

Holding a mandolin like a machine gun makes my back sore at times.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by (mandopete @ Mar. 13 2007, 11:30)
    And to those here on this thread that comment proper technique for holding the mandolin will produce the same results, I say phooey! That has absolutely nothing to do with it. #
    i'll agree with that. it seems like almost every player i really admire is using one. they are all holding it just fine and have excellent technique. especially when standing and playing it is quite hard to prevent the dampening that occurs. focusing on holding the mando away from the body causes unecessary tension on the hands. additionally, the extra volume it affords causes less pushing of the instrument and again, playing can be more relaxed.

from my own personal experience, i think they make a big difference and am totally satisfied with my purchase. it is a great and simple solution. i agree the affect is different on every mandolin, but on ones i have tried it on it seems to be really effective.
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Yeah, when I see a musician like John Reischman using one, that says something!

BTW Mr. Fish - I've dropped 20 pounds since the first of the year, but it ain't helped my mandolin tone at all.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"