Thread: John hiatt

Has anyone figured out the mandolin part to the John Hiatt song "Gone" off his Crossing Muddy Waters CD? I would love to learn that part. Thank you.
    Gibson F9

Learn about my mandolin experiences at http://mandomadness.wordpress.com/. All comments, suggestions and advice welcomed.

I can send you the chords, the basic lick that gets repeated in various guises, and the solo. You'd have to sort out the rhythm playing for yourself. Let me know if that'd be helpful. I really like David Immergluck's playing on that album; one of the best mando rock albums.

This is the album that inspired me to play the mandolin. I haven't remained faithful to this genre- at least not in my playing, though I listen to Hiatt as much as ever- but I never would have picked up a mandolin if it hadn't been for Crossing Muddy Waters (check out Dust Down a Country Road from the album Walk On, too- beautiful tune and great mandolin playing, as well). Charts for the tunes are all over the net, though transcriptions of Immergluck's solos are up to you.

Morgan-

That would be great! You send that to bestein@uwalumni.com. Thank you so much!
    Gibson F9

Learn about my mandolin experiences at http://mandomadness.wordpress.com/. All comments, suggestions and advice welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by (BradW @ Feb. 17 2007, 07:47)
    This is the album that inspired me to play the mandolin. #I haven't remained faithful to this genre- #at least not in my playing, though I listen to Hiatt as much as ever- but I never would have picked up a mandolin if it hadn't been for Crossing Muddy Waters (check out Dust Down a Country Road from the album Walk On, too- beautiful tune and great mandolin playing, as well). #Charts for the tunes are all over the net, though transcriptions of Immergluck's solos are up to you.
    I don't really know Hiatt that well, I didn't know Immy had played with him. I love the tune Crossing Muddy Waters but I came across it from the version Immy and Duritz ("The Devil and Bunny Show") did on the I-10 Chronicles.

http://www.amazon.com/I-10-Ch....s=music

"Cry Love" is the one that got me. My very favorite song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvXhPKRyr7c

JPL, that's the first tune I can recall really hearing the mandolin in and mentally singling it out. A great song.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

That's from the album "Walk On" which has a lot of great mandolin playing.

Two albums later was "Crossing Muddy Waters", and that's his crazy front porch jug band album. When I was trying to get an acoustic band going a couple of years back, I circulated copies of "Crossing Muddy Waters", "Blue Country Heart" by Jorma Kaukonen, and OCMS by Old Crow Medicine Show among the prospective band members to let them know what I had in mind.

Default Re: John hiatt

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    I can send you the chords, the basic lick that gets repeated in various guises, and the solo. You'd have to sort out the rhythm playing for yourself. Let me know if that'd be helpful. I really like David Immergluck's playing on that album; one of the best mando rock albums.
    I hope this thread is still active after all this time. I have taken up the mandolin and would very much like to be able to play the song Gone. If possible would you please send me the riff for the song. I have the chords. My email is dtelford@matrixmark.co.uk. Many thanks, Douglas

I sing Lincoln Town all the time. Love this album and Hiatt.

Beautiful and underrated mandolin record. I will try to post a few transcriptions soon.

12. The following members say thank you to ahmandolin for this post:

That would be fantastic ahmandolin. Looking forward to your post. Thank you!

The Dude who played on that album is a beast, there are some real cool licks/grooves He does which takes a good right hand (& timing) to pull off. It would be cool to see what you post ahmandolin & compare it to what I've butchered up, it takes me forever to figure out a lick & 1/2 the time I never fully get it probably because a lot of it is simply beyond my ability.
    Lou

15. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

HI, I have unfortunately not had any response to my search for the mandolin riff on John Hiatt's 'Gone'. I am still looking. I would welcome any suggestions of where else to look. Cheers.

It's a real simple lick I'm not sure how to type it out but if you PM me I'll send you the tab I did for it.
    Lou