Thread: Simmm montreal

Hey all,
    Just thought I'd throw this out for you. Last year's Salon des Instruments de Musique et des Musiciens de Montreal was a great show and it'd be great to see any of you who can make it. Mr. Lewis was had a table (nice meetin' you, sir), Monteleone as well. Hope to have more mandolins show up this time.

July 6,7,and 8, 2007 in beautiful Montreal
    http://www.simmm.ca

Anyhow, for those who might not have heard about it, 140 tables last year. Probably more this time around. I'll have a few weird ones on display, I reckon.

There you have it!

Quote Originally Posted by (OldTymer @ Feb. 13 2007, 20:42)
    Probably more this time around. I'll have a few weird ones on display, I reckon.
    I thought that only us rednecks in the Midwest said "reckon." Ok, I think that Paul said it once in Acts, but that is different...

Ok, now for the real question. Is this open to the general public or is it only for builders and people in the musical instrument business? I wasn't planning on going, but it would be nice for future plans.

Micah

Sitka,

Virginia Beach had a bit of Southern twang afore them rich folks started buildin condos! My cousin: "...gonne go feeshin in the pawnd". The pond = Chesapeake Bay

Yep, anyone who wants a booth, as long as what they do is linked to instrument building. One guy had his own variety of brass finger planes for display. Some pickup manufacturers as well. 140 tables in all.

Forgot to mention, the luthier show is inside, you go right out those doors and the Montreal Jazz Fest is going on along about three city blocks, afternoon to night. Real nice weekend...

Blog Entries

Is that at Place des Arts? Jazzfest was one of the highlights of the year when I lived in Montreal. Highly recommended!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Brian, is that the jazz festival I PM'd you about? Where the Rosenberg Trio show up?

Hey Dale,
    I looked them up, but didn't find much. A Netherlands Band? Well, we do get a lot of European traffic over here, given the extra concession of the French language being spoken.
    I hadn't actually checked out the schedule for this year's Festival. But lo and behold there's a few listings up there, the rest to be posted as we get closer. Branford Marsalis, George Thorogood. Go-o-o-o-o-ll-y, can't wait for it to warm up.
    Yep, it's at Place-des-Arts (Plass-days-Arrrrr[gurgle] if ya wanna sound chic), they usually have what, five, six stages up? Eleven days of music?

Also... a couple regular, non-Jazz-Fest-related bluegrass nights up here too if anyone's wondering... Local bars here are a-hoppin seven days a week. (Does it sound like I dig it here?)

Brian, yes they're from the Netherlands, I believe. They play the North Sea Jazz Festival, for one thing. They play Django stuff and man, they are good. I've never heard one of them play mandolin though.

Your festival sounds like a blast.

Stochelo sometimes plays with Tim Kliphuis on violin and mandolin, but I don't know if Tim ever sits in with the Trio. I know I've seen pix of Tim playing mando with Fapy Lafertin's group.

Did I see a Bireli Lagrene video from this festival last year? It wasn't mandolin, but it was fantastic.

I have a copy of a video/dvd of them at some festival somewhere. Lots of cigarettes- sounds European already. (no offense intended to anyone!). The video is quite a watch. I don't know about the Birelli (sp?) video. Wonder if part of it is on YouTube. And Stochelo kicks butt.

Yes, I saw him on utube. I can't even think that fast!

This looks to be a very good show this year. I got an invite, but can't make it this year. Maybe next year if I get invited again. It looks like they are planning a really good display hall this time and associated activities.

Alan D.

I'll be there again this year, but will have less on my table. Expensive to ship stuff so I'm limited to what I can carry through customs. Probably 2 archtop guitars on display this year. Still thinking how I can get a mandolin there too.