Thread: New frets

I am a TOTAL beginner. I purchased a Fender FM-52E at a garage sale for $25. The first 6-8 frets are badly worn (string grooves). I don't have any idea what re-fretting would cost. Since this is a very inexpensive mando ($200? new), do you think it would be worth having the work done? Any estimates on re-fretting costs would be appreciated.

You should look into dressing the existing frets first. Much less expensive than a new fret job.
    EdSherry

Several of the grooves are quite deep, they may be well beyond dressing. Any guess on re-fretting costs?

Whoever owned it must have enjoyed it to wear out the frets like that. Might be worth finding some newbie luthier nearby who might do it cheap for the experience. I pretty sure the pro's charge 150 and up. If you were in my neighbor hood I'd do it for 75.
    Richard Hutchings

More than the value of your mandolin. If it is a 200.00 mandolin it would be better to buy an different one that did not need the work. If it was a better mandolin it would be worth the cost.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I really appreciate the replys. I will have my nearby luthier look it over, but, it sounds like I should plan to do some mando shopping. Thanks again.

Worn frets = much loved instrument. Hang on to it until you can get a good deal on the dress/refret, then see if you want to trade/sell.
    Speed is fine but accuracy is everything. Xenophon

I agree with Big Joe.
    True, you may have lost $25 on this purchase, but in this case your first loss is your best loss.
    Throwing money at it won't make thing better.

Curt

unless you want to try doing it yourself... seems to me that if you're already willing to discard the $25 mando, you don't have much to lose in trying.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Quote Originally Posted by (otterly2k @ Feb. 13 2007, 19:59)
    unless you want to try doing it yourself...
    Fretwire is cheap, but the tools you need to refret it aren't. #Take a look at Stewart MacDonald #and check out the stuff you would need. #Nippers to pull the old frets, nippers to undercut the ends of the wire if there is binding on the fretboard, a hammer to set the new frets and various files, etc. to dress the frets. #It's not hard to do, but I bet it would easily run $100 or more to do the job right. However, it might be worth it for the experience.

John

Here's a (crazy?) thought...there are always people here on the cafe building their own first instruments or contemplating doing the same; and fretwork is a critical part of the process, a good job makes a huge difference in the end result but requires experience - maybe you could find someone willing to practice on your instrument for a low price before taking the hammer to their own "#1"?

Some luthier types will do a partial refret. I'm contemplating exactly that on a new to me Johnson with nasty 4th fret divot. All I need is the cajones.

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Most would not agree but on a cheap instrument I would look into just changing the frets that are worn. You may be surprised how much wear can be dressed out though. Look at that first
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

What F5G WIZ said: divots can look enormous even when they aren't actually all that deep. I would be surprised if even with heavy fret wear, the wear goes deeper than a quarter of the original fret height. Dressing may well work.

Martin

Are the frets causing problems playing it? If not, I'd play it as is and save for a better one when you start to get buzzing.
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Joe, I see you are in Indianapolis. I am in Columbus. Email me and I think I can help you out. I'm new at it, but have fretted a dozen of my own new electrics. I can also hook you up with a couple very capable people locally.

Andrew

Worn frets may indicate a "much loved" mando, but it could also indicate low-grade fretwire. My first mando was a kentucky about the same level as your fender. I wore the frets thru to the fingerboard in about a year, not really playing it more than any other instrument i've owned, none of which have ever needed new frets (though some are getting there). I don't actually know if there is such a thing as llow-grade frets mind you, just speculation really. Even with lousy frets it's still probably good enough to learn the basics on.