Thread: Behlens rockhard varnish

Hey Folks, I've been experimenting for a while with brushing Behlens table-top varnish and have run into an interesting problem. I've thinned it 50/50 with the Rockhard reducer and it's been working great on test scraps. The other day, about a week after initial thinning, i noticed that the varnish in the jar seemed to be starting to thicken up again, and tonight the stuff just congealed to jelly. The shop has dropped to 60-65 degrees, is that a factor ? Even when i tried to thin the 'gel' in the jar for humors sake, it still is thicker than molases and useless.

Has anyone else experianced this ?? Are you only allowed 'x' amount of time between thinning and using ?

HELP... I aspire to be a recovering laquer sprayer ! )

Jim Combra

You need to get a product called "Bloxygen". It's a mixture of inert gasses, argon, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. Spray it into the can or jar of finish and it will prevent oxydation which is what you have there. Oil varnishes don't harden exclusively through evaporation of solvents like lacquer or shellac do. They react with oxygen to form a polymer.

Rick's on the money. Bloxygen, the heavy inert gasses settle down over the contents and prevent oxidation, at least as much as possible. I've been using it for the last few years and it does work wonders. I'm not sure it will cure your problem, but it's a remarkable product. Available through Mohawk, among others.

Hey thank you very much guys ! I've seen the Bloxygen stuff around, now i'll have to buy it and give it a shot ! Simple solution .

Thanks again

Hey Rick, i've always wanted to ask, you are the Rick Turner that got to hang bit Betty Cantor right ? I was born to late man (#

Yes, Betty and I used to do a lot of PA work together in the early 1980s when she wasn't working with Bob Matthews in the studio or on live recordings. Betty was really great to work with and had some of the best ears of anyone in the biz. We did some memorable gigs, especially at the Family Dog on the Great Highway. We had very compatible taste in music and in mixing live sound which made the work go very smoothly indeed. I haven't seen Betty in many years; I think she's still up in Marin County.

Jim, the Bloxygen stuff won't save the varnish that has already thickened, but should help with the next batch. Best to mix and use stuff as fresh as you can. Storing any mixed finish is always questionable. Now, if I can only learn from my own words . . .

If you don't have Bloxygen handy, store your varnish can upside down. This traps the air at the bottom, and the varnish will cure and form its film there, so that when you open the can, you're always in fresh varnish, without the skin. And as Michael said, never thin or mix more than you need, and never put your leftovers back into the can, as tempting as that may seem.

I add marbles to my partially used Behlen cans so the varnish is always full to the top and there's minimal air. Works for me.

I'll beat someone else to it. John, what do you do if you lose your marbles?

Hey Mario , did you hear the loud 'THUD' as my hand hit my forhead ?!! That's how i store my bottle of Tru-Oil, upside down for that very reason. DUH )
    #I like the marble idea a lot John, not only will it increase the life of the varnish, but it will most certainly entertain a deep philosophical discussion on ' liquid displacement principles and theories ' #around the shop on those days you just don't 'have it' and are looking for something else to do before you screw up that piece-o-wood, and like Dale said theres a built in joke there !

In seriousness, THANK you guys for the ideas, ALWAYS appreciated......

Jim Combra

Quote Originally Posted by (Dale Ludewig @ Feb. 13 2007, 13:28)
    ...John, what do you do if you lose your marbles?...
    What I always do, Dale.