Thread: Blasius bowlback

Well, here goes.
    It's been in the family since the early 1900's. Bowlback, nice inlayed fingerboard. Sticker inside says Blasius & Sons, and the address I believe being 1017-1019 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia.
    Googling has revealed a Blasius piano concern at this location from 1890's to about 1920. Another referenced the Blasius mandolin may be a Gretsch manufacture.
    My next recourse is to ask Fred Oster. Thought I'd give the collective wisdom of the Cafe a chance first.
    Sorry, I have no digital camera.
    And to think of the thougtless abuse I gave it when I was kid. It's in remarkably nice condition.
    Wye Knot

Hard to make any definitive ID without photos, however, I would guess that Blasius sold mandolins under their label but that they were made by other concerns. George Bauer was a prominent maker in Phildelphia. I am not sure why the Mugwunps site says "Gretsch?" in their listing of this brand but maybe there is some connection.

Have someone photo it for you and post some pics and I am sure we can come to some consensus.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Pardon the disposable instamatic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blasius1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	22127  
    Wye Knot

Lets turn that upright. The tuners are enclosed behind a plate on the back. Unfortunately no engravings on the plate.

Name:	blasius1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	22128  
    Wye Knot

And the side.
    The neck is still straight, there's no structural damage, it's in playable condition. Though if were going to make it into a "player" and not worry about originality, I'd get the frets leveled and put new tuners on it.
    There's no serial number. Tomorrow I'll post exactly what the inside label says.

Name:	blasius2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	22129  
    Wye Knot

You may already be aware of this point, Lee, but it can't be said too often (to keep folks from wrecking fine old bowlbacks): do NOT use bluegrass-gauge strings on bowlbacks. They are far too heavy, and will warp the neck and/or destroy the neck joint in short order.

While I think Martin may make strings of suitable gauge, GHS does make a "classical" set. Others are available, for twice the price, from a few sources in the US. (Lots of bowlback folks have issues with GHS. I do not). Lenzner makes a few sets, one with a wound A string, one with plain; Dogal Calace in light gauge is also nice. Both of these brands will last seemingly forever (though the wound A is a bit more fragile).

Looks like a very pretty mandolin. Glad you didn't wreck it as a kid. (I cringe to think back on my youthful vandalisms, mostly unintentional).

It could be made by Weymann, they did mostly banjos, but made a number of mandolins. Look for a 5 digit serial number stamped in the end of the headstock.