Thread: Murphy method

Does anyone out there know anything about this Murphy Method of learning to play mandolin? (By ear rather than tabs).
    Is this a good choice as a way of learning to play?
    Is there something better?
    Thanks

There will probably be lots of folks chiming in with negative reviews of the Murphy Method real soon, so here's a positive. I used their first two or three tapes when I was just starting, and they helped me enormously. Everyone has a different learning style, and just reading or seeing stuff on paper does not work for me personally. I learned every song quickly, and it helped me get to the place where I could use a more advanced method more efficiently, having put a good foundation down. I also liked the Bruce Dix/Mel Bay Mandolin tape for beginners that I bought back then. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I have the Chris Henry Monroe Mandolin DVD. The only negative is only six tunes, but they are easy to follow and well taught. There is no tab and you learn by putting licks you learn by hear together. I have learned solid versions of Big Mon and Wheel Hoss with out an extreme amount of effort. I recommend it.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

That Chris Henry can pick. Yes its worth the money. I have the DVD and its easy to follow.

"Make a joyful noise"

Not really familiar w/ the Murpy Method, but from personal experience, I think learning by ear is the way to go. I started off learning tabs (and would recommend learning how anyway as it is so easy), but in the past year have been learning tunes from listening to CD's/going to jams - much more beneficial. I can tell a huge difference/ease in idetifying keys/notes when I hear them. music is all about ears anyway...

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will give it a try.

Some thoughts from someone who has learned by ear,.

I've learned guitar, bass, mandolin, and banjo all by ear. I was classicaly trained on the piano at a young age, but relearned it by ear a few years ago after an extended absence(no doubt subconciously remembering what I had learned previously, but if you ask what I'm playing, I really don't have the slightest clue).

It's a slow process, as I can only play as far as I can write or improvise. It's much more rewarding this way, but I figure I might progress faster if I had learned the "real" way.

Now, learning by ear isn't for everyone, but my advise would be that if you have the knack for it, embrace and develop it. Just learn some "real" stuff at the same time. If you love music, and love your instrument and the noises you make on it, you are on your way. Find what works best for you, not what someone else thinks will work best for you.

good luck!!! and stay patient. play lots and enjoy it.

(if you're curious as to the development of someone who's learned by ear(utter hack?) check here www.myspace.com/akoltek for the sounds of an ignorant musican.)

Collings MT
    1926 Martin Style A
    Eko Electric
    Martin D15
    Rickenbacker 620

my advice would be learn by ear and learn to read music simultaneously and do yourself a favor and never learn to read tab. my biggest regret was the day i learned to do so cus now i have to trnscribe absolutely everything. ex. last month i transcribed the entire dm partita.
    If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone

Quote Originally Posted by (seanonabutton @ Feb. 08 2007, 00:10)
    my advice would be learn by ear and learn to read music simultaneously and do yourself a favor and never learn to read tab. my biggest regret was the day i learned to do so cus now i have to trnscribe absolutely everything. ex. last month i transcribed the entire dm partita.
    I agree with Sean, learn both. Learning by ear means hearing and recognizing intervals so learn your scales and arpeggios around the Circle of fifths, especially the right side since that is the same as the tuning for the mandolin, i.e, G,D,A,E.

Learn fiddle tunes that will get your ear familar with melodic phrases. Or if you prefer classical, Bach pieces are good for this. It is OK to use written music. But also try to figure out a song by ear by starting with something you know like Happy Birthday, Mary Had a Little Lamb, etc.

I've #heard people who have learned strictly by ear with as many shortcomings as someone who learned by reading music (tab or notation), so do both.

BTW: Personally, I prefer standard notation, I've found tab too limiting, creating another set of problems. It doesn't take that much longer to learn notation. Buy yourself a beginning violin book like "Essential Elements." By learning standard notation, you'll become more familar with the fretboard than with tab.

Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

I have the DVD too and also learnt a strong version of Big Mon....

However in the first part of Big Mon Chris uses a "C" when I'm told a "C" has no business being in that tune and that it should be a "C#"!

Also I was shown several notes which were missing from Chris's version of the first part. So with a combination of Chris's very good instruction and a bit of external advice I know have a very jam worthy version of Big Mon.

Incidently there was no faults found in the second part.

So it's a thumbs up from me...
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Whatever works. #I tried to learn mandolin by ear (I didn't have Murphy's stuff) for about 5 years. #Total frustration. I quit and went to electric bass, then guitar. #But I wanted to play the mandolin. A friend told me to get some tab and spend about 3 hrs. a night for a year and memorize as much as I could. #That's what did. I missed very few nights. #It was very slow in the beginning but then I got better with it. #I had about 80 songs that I could pick up to speed. #Most of the tab was Harold Streeter, some Jack Tottle. It took me another year to be able to transpose licks to other songs. #The tab journey started in 1988 at 29 years old. #I'm not recommending one or the other. #That's just what worked for me. At that time I didn't know anyone who coulld teach me. #I just couldn't get started 'by ear.' #NOW I can. #I've met Murphy Henry in a jam session since then. #She's a great musician and teacher. My only advice is this, "if you try something that doesn't work, don't quit. #Try another method." #There are many good #options for music instruction.

The "C" gives it a bluesy sound "C#" would sound less blue, for that reason I actually prefer the "C". I would love to know what Bill really played. I am sure there are some solid Monroe Gearheads who can chime in, please.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172