Thread: Bickford

I have been going through my Bickford Method Book 1 and had a question.

How proficient should I be at playing a particular section before I move on to another?

Being self taught up to this point I do not have the benefit of an instructor to work with.

I am planning on a course of study with one of our own here at the cafe but until then I was hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks a bunch –Scott

Well, Scott, you deserve some answer, so, while we are waiting for the other more knowledgeable, I will put my 2 cents in:

I would work on a section until you feel more comfortable with it. Then move on. Then go back to the older section from time to time.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim. I am only using Bickford for reading music. I was thinking if I have it comfortably under my fingers in terms of understanding what is on the page even though maybe not playing it up to the proper speed it would ok to move on. I would agree that going back over something I worked on is a great idea and will do that very thing.

Cheers-

Scott

Hi Scott,

Lessons with a good teacher would be best. Alternatively in this day of electronic and digital wonders, you might consider video recording your playing or study (could just be a specific section or an entire piece) and getting one of us to help you out. I've been considering trying this out with video clips from students and video clips in return from teacher. It would involve normal teaching time commitments but not involve travel so it might be worth a try.

Richard