Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is album art so boring?

I'm with JonT on this one, I've been fooled into buying a bad book cause the cover looked cool. Same with albums. I've heard some great albums with lame art. I really like having lyrics and any other info about the song or album though. Even though I've become an internet junkie, I still end up searching at the label or artist site for info on who was on the album, what they played, lyrics, etc. Rhapsody doesn't provide that info.

It's all about the tunes, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by (saska @ Jan. 29 2007, 09:09)
    I don't mind at all album covers with photos of the artist(s) on the front/ inside. What really gets to me is that very often you see the band & their names are given,but they don't say who the dickens is who !!.Especially for us folk accross the water,we don't see these bands in order to be able to recognise them individually. I wish record manufacturers would address this problem. It's ok if the band members are holding their instruments,but very often they are not & we just have to guess (or not !!!).
    I agree.

I think this is where David Grisman's Acoustic Disc deserves special praise.

The fantastic booklets with "Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza", "DGQ-20" and #"Tone Poets" are packed with information and (IMO) really add to these releases.

As an emusic member I could have downloaded these, but in each case I bought the CDs (which involved waiting for delivery from the US to the UK) just because of the extra info and photos.

Brendan

" but surely it's silly to deny the potential to draw in new fans through album art? If somene can make just one sale more than they would have otherwise made, I'd say it's worth it -- "

I believe that it's reasonable to have art work that attempts to express something of the artist or his/her work. But you don't have to have creative art work to sell CDs. A simple sticker will do ... how about "Prize Inside"

Curt

If ya got 2 pretty faces, no sense hiding 'em...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACOUST60.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	21135  

OMG! I've got a jacket just like Jethros!
    And a face only a mother could love.

Curt

Blog Entries

Those boys have faces for Radio! #(Insert rim shot.) No offense MandoPete. A comment I've heard of myself all to often. Wish I could play like them, tho...
    Jamie

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

If I had the technological know-how (which I don't!) I would scan in a copy of the cover to the Louvin Brothers' album, "Satan is Real." Ira Louvin designed this particular cover. It's worth taking a look at. It features a rather tall Satan (with buck teeth) standing in what appears to be the flames of Hell. Charlie tells an amusing story that the replica of Hell was created with charcoal and pieces of old tires. He says the place nearly exploded before they could finish the photography work. Now that's cover art!
    MadMax

Here ya go...

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think this one takes the cake. #I don't even know what to say about it. The mystique lies in "Who does your album art?"

Name:	mystique.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	21155  
    Alan

Then of course we have this

Name:	WorstAlbumCoversEver19.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	21156  

And indeed THIS.

Name:	country_20church.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	21157  

Ok, maybe "takes the cake" was a little strong. But it has a seat at the table.
    Alan

Hahahaha, wow. That's about all I can muster.
    Garnet Bruell

That last one has the Grant Wood thing going on...too wise!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Some "guys" (like Eddie, for example) really boost the sales of the albums:

http://www.coverportal.de/cover....d_a.jpg
    not to mention all the merchandise (T-shirts etc)

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ Jan. 29 2007, 14:28)
    Those boys have faces for Radio! #(Insert rim shot.) No offense MandoPete. #
    Hey, me too!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

In defense of album/CD covers just having a picture of the band..... my oldest son (11 years old) developed a crush on a band member (not the leader of a group) based on the CD photos. We found her address on the internet so he could send her a fan letter. Long story short, we are all good friends now. She has joined us for dinner, we have jammed together (even though my son still can't play a proper chord). This is one of the the things I like about Bluegrass music - the musicians are truly approachable!
    "Ancora lmparo", said Michelangelo when he was in his 80's (I am still learning)

Quote Originally Posted by (LateBloomer @ Jan. 31 2007, 18:05)
    In defense of #album/CD covers just having a picture of the band..... my oldest son (11 years old) developed a crush on a band member (not the leader of a group) based on the CD photos. #We found her address on the internet so he could send her a fan letter. #Long story short, we are all good friends now. #She has joined us for dinner, we have jammed together (even though my son still can't play a proper chord). # This is one of the the things I like about Bluegrass music - the musicians are truly approachable!
    Blimey - 11 years old and your son is bringing grown women home to dinner. He sounds more like an "EarlyBloomer" to me
    Is the lady from "Country Church"?

Ha ha! No, not the lady from "Country Church". It's Mary Jo Leet formerly with Dry Branch Fire Squad.

He also has a crush on June Carter Cash - not much I can do to help him with that one!!!
    "Ancora lmparo", said Michelangelo when he was in his 80's (I am still learning)

I think KEN 'by invitation only' would be your worst nightmare. {sorry actual Ken)
    Attached Images Attached Images